Disappointed with Audeze LCD2s
Jun 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #31 of 72
I find it funny to see how when someone prefers Grados over, in this case LCD2, they're has to be something wrong somewhere, his amp is too weak, not enough burn in time, believe it or not, it is possible for someone to just prefer the way Grados sound.

And why is it that Noobmachine can call people who like Grados, ''trebleheads'' without anyone saying something, and yes, if someone called LCD owners 'bassheads', i would find it equally as offensive.

I have heard the LCD2/3 and i think that even my GS1000 smokes them both by a ''HUGE'' margin, no need to take out the big guns (PS/HP1000) for this one.

Of course, unlike some, i was kidding in that last phrase, i meant BIG, instead of HUGE
wink.gif

Don't make me break out the graphs to show you how horrible Grado transducers perform next to the LCD-2/3. :wink: Non-existent sub bass, overly bright treble that can leave one's ears ringing for hours (I'm speaking from first hand experiences here; unless we're talking ps500s) and high distortion levels that can get in the way of the sound (especially the bass). For $1k+ I expect a whole lot more from my headphones.

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #32 of 72
Quote:
Don't make me break out the graphs to show you how horrible Grado transducers perform next to the LCD-2/3.
wink.gif
Non-existent sub bass, overly bright treble that can leave one's ears ringing for hours (I'm speaking from first hand experiences here; unless we're talking ps500s) and high distortion levels that can get in the way of the sound (especially the bass). For $1k+ I expect a whole lot more from my headphones.

and if that sounds good to him?  Is that somehow a problem?

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #33 of 72
Quote:
I find it funny to see how when someone prefers Grados over, in this case LCD2, they're has to be something wrong somewhere, his amp is too weak, not enough burn in time, believe it or not, it is possible for someone to just prefer the way Grados sound.

And why is it that Noobmachine can call people who like Grados, ''trebleheads'' without anyone saying something, and yes, if someone called LCD owners 'bassheads', i would find it equally as offensive.

I have heard the LCD2/3 and i think that even my GS1000 smokes them both by a ''HUGE'' margin, no need to take out the big guns (PS/HP1000) for this one.

Of course, unlike some, i was kidding in that last phrase, i meant BIG, instead of HUGE
wink.gif

I didn't mean it in such a way, I was implying that the people who are very much lovers of the Grado-style treble, may not find the sound of the LCD-2 to their liking. I did state that "I think that a fundamental problem here is that maybe your tastes in genres and music, as well as your preferred sound is more tailored to that of the Grado sound signature." I meant no offence by the use of treblehead, I figured since Bassheads are so fond of that term for themselves, that trebleheads would be similarly accepting of their moniker :)

I have demo'ed plenty of Grados, from the SR80 up to  the PS500, and obviously there's a huge difference in their sound signatures, I can understand how people can really enjoy their sound, but as a guy who's a little treble sensitive and enjoys a darker sound (Previously a HD650 owner :p), the Grado sound signature across their entire line up just doesn't suit me as well as the LCD-2's sound :)

In regards to the OP, he may very well be in the opposite camp as me, he may be the type that prefers the Grado "house sound" signature in general, or maybe it just works best with the music he likes :)

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #34 of 72
and if that sounds good to him?  Is that somehow a problem?

His ears and his money. So no problem whatsoever. Did you miss my comment that said that for $1k+ I (that's me :)) expect a whole lot more.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #35 of 72
I'm not surprised you didn't like the LCD-2's. I mean, you come from Grado's, which are known to be overly bright and have a lot of treble, to something like the LCD-2's which is smooth and dark. Try the HD800's, they're bright with the more detail (what i heard) and have a huge soundstage.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #36 of 72
Quote:
His ears and his money. So no problem whatsoever. Did you miss my comment that said that for $1k+ I (that's me
smily_headphones1.gif
) expect a whole lot more.

I get more enjoyment from my RS1i and T1 than I did from the LCD2 when I listened to it.

I really just want to call in to question the number of posts which 'seem' to be trying to educate the OP on how he's somehow been acclimatised to an inferior sound and needs to be re-educated. 

Just listen to whatever makes you happy, whether that's Grado's, Audeze or just sticking marshmallows in your ears... 
L3000.gif

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #37 of 72
Quote:

I didn't mean it in such a way, I was implying that the people who are very much lovers of the Grado-style treble, may not find the sound of the LCD-2 to their liking. I did state that "I think that a fundamental problem here is that maybe your tastes in genres and music, as well as your preferred sound is more tailored to that of the Grado sound signature." I meant no offence by the use of treblehead, I figured since Bassheads are so fond of that term for themselves, that trebleheads would be similarly accepting of their moniker :)

I have demo'ed plenty of Grados, from the SR80 up to  the PS500, and obviously there's a huge difference in their sound signatures, I can understand how people can really enjoy their sound, but as a guy who's a little treble sensitive and enjoys a darker sound (Previously a HD650 owner :p), the Grado sound signature across their entire line up just doesn't suit me as well as the LCD-2's sound :)

In regards to the OP, he may very well be in the opposite camp as me, he may be the type that prefers the Grado "house sound" signature in general, or maybe it just works best with the music he likes :)

It's all good, although i hope you can understand how someone might take offence at being called a ''treble head''.
Quote:
I'm not surprised you didn't like the LCD-2's. I mean, you come from Grado's, which are known to be overly bright and have a lot of treble, to something like the LCD-2's which is smooth and dark. Try the HD800's, they're bright with the more detail (what i heard) and have a huge soundstage.

Why wouldn't it be the LCD2 that are ''overly'' dark, instead of the Grados being ''overly bright''

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #38 of 72
Quote:
Don't make me break out the graphs to show you how horrible Grado transducers perform next to the LCD-2/3.
wink.gif
Non-existent sub bass, overly bright treble that can leave one's ears ringing for hours (I'm speaking from first hand experiences here; unless we're talking ps500s) and high distortion levels that can get in the way of the sound (especially the bass). For $1k+ I expect a whole lot more from my headphones.

The day i start listening with my eyes, is the day i'm going to start caring about graphs, meanwhile, i'll just trust my ears.
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #39 of 72
It's all good, although i hope you can understand how someone might take offence at being called a ''treble head''.

Why wouldn't it be the LCD2 that are ''overly'' dark, instead of the Grados being ''overly bright''

Well it can be the other way around, but thats just my way of saying it

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #40 of 72
The day i start listening with my eyes, is the day i'm going to start caring about graphs, meanwhile, i'll just trust my ears.
wink.gif

Guess with my engineering background, I can't fully agree with this.

One of my favourite quotes from one of my favourite scientists:

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.
Richard P. Feynman"

Measurements used in conjunction with first hand experience can be VERY illuminating and help keep us honest. :)

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #41 of 72
Quote:
Guess with my engineering background, I can't fully agree with this.

One of my favourite quotes from one of my favourite scientists:

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.
Richard P. Feynman"

Measurements used in conjunction with first hand experience can be VERY illuminating and help keep us honest.
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally, I just see measurements in headphones as a semi-reliable way to compare different phones.  There's no objectively good set of measurements that we can all look at and say "if it measures like this, it's definitively better"  Not going to try and claim that Grado's might not sound even better with lower distortion.  Comparing graphs the fact I prefer the Beyer T1 to my RS1i most of the time it shows lower distortion too (again not necessarily why I prefer them... I can't pick out obvious distortion listening between the two of them).

But just saying there are technical superiorities to the LCD does not make it "better" to me.  I started out in semi-decent headphones with the  Senn HD595, which is not a "treblehead" headphone.  There's no basis to the claim that you only prefer Grado's if you've somehow only become adjusted to them (not exactly what you're saying, but it's been implied enough times already in this thread).

I can't deny that I might prefer a technically superior headphone voiced similarly to a grado over a grado, but I do prefer a grado over a technically superior "dark sounding" headphone.  Technically superior meaning it uses superior technologically not that it's "better" obviously.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #42 of 72
You should have known this OP. The Grados have a ton of high energy frequency. Obviously any headphone that is darker is going to sound veiled by comparison. That does NOT mean in any way that details are missing, and I would bet a fair amount of money that you can actually hear quite a bit more on the LCD2s than on your grados, but I digress.

Anyways, I would give the LCDs a fair chance.  If the sheer quality and punch of the bass with the flat mids isn't enough to impress you then you really should return them.

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #43 of 72
I'm not surprised you don't like the LCD2. Paired with the o2odac combo, not surprised at all...

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #44 of 72
I was exchanging some words with another member here on headfi and I believe Audeze underrates the power requirement for the LCD line for marketing purposes. Generally people worry or do not want to think about the costly amplifiers after having spent just under 1k for a pair of headphone. Check out this 1min video where audeze claims that the LCD does not need any "special" type of amplification and that it can driven from an iPhone, which is hardly the case. I can understand audeze's goal to sell as many hp as possible, but seriously, why would anyone want to listen to planar magnetic headphones from a headphone jack of an iPhone...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oDW49wpklus

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #45 of 72
Just remember Grados are terrible headphones...just terrible horrible headphones...I hate em, don't you. Well you should if you had any taste whatsoever
. Everybody who owns some should just sell em or give em away right now... I'll take some GS1000i or PS1000 off your hands and I'll even pay the shipping. That's just the kind of guy I am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back