Disappointed in Base (K702's) Denon D5000's Instead???
May 25, 2010 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

neil.belt

New Head-Fier
So I just got my set up and I am really amazed with how wonderful it sounds with one complaint....  I listen to a lot of new pop, old rock and some trance as well as my classical music and these K702's just don't rock me enough for that.  I really need to have some headphones that perform well like the K702's with classical music, and have a very good soundstage for that, but half of the time I want to feel the pounding, foot stomping base that I am missing.  Sorry if that's not spelled correctly, base, bass??  Anyway, I am open to recommendation and likely a trade that I will post in the sale forum.  I like the HR micro dac/amp combo more then the d-10 that I have so I think that the sale of the k702's and the d-10 will cover the exchange in headphones so at least I won't spend any more money :)  I don't want to make the wifey angry.....  Am I on the right track with Denon? 

Thanks,  Neil

May 25, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 25
I agree with the above post. Tweaking an EQ my be frowned upon my many on this site, but the end result could be that you can enjoy the cans that you already have and you don't have to shell out more money for new cans--which you may or may not like as a suitable replacement. 

May 25, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 25
It's bass. And yeah, they are bass light, but if you listen to pop, old rock, classical and trance, you are expected to have at least 2 headphones anyway. I would probably get K701 for classical, Ultrasone HFI-680 for pop and trance and Grado SR-225 for sub-genres of rock 
biggrin.gif
 You should probably just try EQing them or buying another pair of headphones that suit two or more genres very well. Keep the K702 for classical, they are great for that and you will regret selling them.

May 25, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 25
I've met a lot of people who think pop and rock need a lot of bass and that audiophiles, who are arrogant people who only listen to Chopin and Diana Krall, don't need any bass. But it's not exactly like that, a lot of pop and rock respond badly to bassy headphones because they're recorded poorly and big, bloated bass will throw itself all over the vocalist and guitars. 

At the same time, like you said, no bass or boring bass is no fun. So far, I'd prefer a fairly neutral freq response, but with good bass impact, extension, and decent instrument separation. PRAT, I suppose, would be important but I can't quite grasp the concept quite yet. Last time I did a A/B, I left the DT880/250 had more and punchier, than the K701. The amplifiers used were a Concerto and a Burson HA160, for both headphones. I also felt the Burson gave the K701 more bass, but I'm not 100% sure of that. 

May 25, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 25
Well I am clearly no audiophile since I have never even heard of, yet alone listen to 'Chopin and Diana Krall'.

May 25, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:
Well I am clearly no audiophile since I have never even heard of, yet alone listen to 'Chopin and Diana Krall'.

heh, I honestly think that there are lot of people who believe that. But I think it's BS, I don't care about the word audiophile but I believe people should love all good music and good reproduction. 
smile_phones.gif

(edit) to OP, and try the EQ! It just might work. 

May 25, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 25
You haven't heard of Chopin Stang? O_o lol, not saying thats a bad thing, just surprising :p.

But yeah.. First try EQ'ing and if that doesn't work, perhaps its time for new headphones? Amping them properly will beef up the lower end a bit but i highly doubt it'll be enough for your tastes. Personally I kinda wish i still had my K701 every now and then, they weren't all that bad.

May 25, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #9 of 25

Quote:
So I just got my set up and I am really amazed with how wonderful it sounds with one complaint....  I listen to a lot of new pop, old rock and some trance as well as my classical music and these K702's just don't rock me enough for that.  I really need to have some headphones that perform well like the K702's with classical music, and have a very good soundstage for that, but half of the time I want to feel the pounding, foot stomping base that I am missing.  Sorry if that's not spelled correctly, base, bass??  Anyway, I am open to recommendation and likely a trade that I will post in the sale forum.  I like the HR micro dac/amp combo more then the d-10 that I have so I think that the sale of the k702's and the d-10 will cover the exchange in headphones so at least I won't spend any more money :)  I don't want to make the wifey angry.....  Am I on the right track with Denon? 

Thanks,  Neil

I was in the some position as you and pretty much like the same sort of music genres, I bought a pair of AKG 702's and was prepared to suffer the heavy burn in period with these phones, however, after approx 100 hours burning i could hear the difference of burn in, everythng tamed down a tad, unfurtunately I just was not enjoying the sound they produced, it's weird in the fact that the phones done nothing wrong, the music was reproduced perfectly, but did not enjoy listening to lisening to my sort of music through them, having owned several set of beyers in the past, gave me a better idea of what sound i was looking for .

So I started thinking about some new phones, Looking through the classifieds on this furum, was lucky and spotted some markL modded Denon D 5000's with jenna cables for sale here in the UK, All I can say is going from the AKG's to the denons  was night and day for me, The modded Denons for me, were in a different league. I have not heard stock Denons so cant comment how they would sound...one thing you can expect with the denons is a full bodied sound from top to bottom of the sound spectrum. Good luck with your search.

May 25, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #10 of 25
After 5-250 hours of burn in, I felt how the bass fills in..but not too much. Maybe you need an upgrade if you are not happy with them. 

May 25, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #13 of 25
I will second the EQ idea,  but it is depend on how much bass exactly the op wants.
He said he is lookng for some ponding,foot stomping bass.  EQing the K702 may give them more push in the bass zone but it will probably not make them bass mosters,  one also needs to be careful not to damage the drivers by putting more bass than the K702 can give,they were not meant to be bass monsters and it could maybe damage the drivers.  just a precaution...

but if neil.belt wants to raise the bass only in few db's just to mellow the sound a bit it can be a good idea than running and getting a new headphone.  the D5000 will give a lot of bass,but they will also give other things which the op may not like...like spiky highs.  so take that in consideration.

May 25, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #15 of 25
Except that like everyone knows Beethoven, not surprised he hasn't heard of Chopin :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back