directional sound
Jan 29, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #16 of 22
while we are somewhat on the topic of surround sound

is the smsl sd - 793ll able to produce surround sound when paired with the correct headphones?
not sure how the smsl dac differs to a mixamp

Feb 8, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #18 of 22
Seems like your "professional's" recabled it wrong!
The directional sounds are speakers/drivers: +/- Polarity dependent, so If the Left/Right drivers are wrongly messed-up polarity recabled thus losing any directional sounds.
You can easily test it with google/youtube vids, search: speaker polarity, stereo, in fase, out of fase test.
To find the correct +/- polarity(= in fase correct polarity) of each L and R driver in the headphone, to find out you need to connect like a 1.5V battery to the driver 2-pole/polarity connection.
If the driver diaphragm POP OUT then the +/- Polarity are correct/in fase, POP IN is then wrong are out of fase.
If your professional don't know about that, Find another pro, or diy.

Feb 8, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #19 of 22
out of phase drivers was also the first thing that popped into my head reading the first post.
send the headphone back to whoever messed up and have them pay attention for a minute.
some random example of how that can feel

so for you the out of phase should be the more centered/mono sound if we're right about this.

about connecting a 1.5V battery as a test, on this specific headphone the sensitivity seems to be around 115db SPL for 1.5V so a rapid check probably would be fine, but 1.5V could be a lot for more sensitive gear so I'm not sure I would suggest doing it casually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back