directional sound
Jan 27, 2019 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Playstation

500+ Head-Fier
I got my non surround sound headphones recabled. now all the localized sounds are impossible to pinpoint.

I'm curious why this is the case considering these are not surround sound headphones and only the cable has been changed.

Jan 29, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 22
I got my non surround sound headphones recabled. now all the localized sounds are impossible to pinpoint.
I'm curious why this is the case considering these are not surround sound headphones and only the cable has been changed.

The headphones are stereo (2.0) audio, most "surround sound" headphones/headsets are stereo (2.0) audio.
Something else needs to create the headphone surround sound, like a sound card or surround sound processing software.
Can we assume your using the headphones with a PS4?
Something like an Astro Mix-amp or Creative Labs X G6 sound card will give you headphone surround sound for headphones, with a gaming console.

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 22
playstation optical to smls dac

everything was fine until I got my plantronic rigs 505 recabled. now the simulated surround sound ceases to exist. the headphones still work, just not for the localized sounds anymore. bizarre, no?

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 22
I know I said surround sound. it's not surround sound, my guess is it's not even considered simulated surround sound.

it's localized sounds use to pinpoint a player's location. I've never actually used anything that would produce surround sound. I know this from reading mad lust envy's great comprehensive thread on surround sound gaming headphones

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 22
playstation optical to SMSL dac
Everything was fine until I got my plantronic rigs 505 recabled. now the simulated surround sound ceases to exist. the headphones still work, just not for the localized sounds anymore. bizarre, no?
It looks like you never had anything in the first place for creating headphone surround sound (with a gaming console), so never had it?
It looks like the RIG 505 comes with software (surround sound) for use with the PC.

Could it be something has changed in the PS4's audio settings?

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 22
it's either the cable combination with the pcb's or possibly how the cable was soldered to the pcb set that is taking away from the localized sound.

another example
let's say you're playing lost planet. now after being recabeled all the monsters when they come out to ambush is waves. the sounds they make always come from behind me.
I know enough to know this is not a normal audio experience regardless of your setup.

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 22
I know I said surround sound. it's not surround sound, my guess is it's not even considered simulated surround sound.

it's localized sounds use to pinpoint a player's location. I've never actually used anything that would produce surround sound. I know this from reading mad lust envy's great comprehensive thread on surround sound gaming headphones

Directions for PS4 audio setup, from RIG manual.
1 To setup your headset with for PS4, first go to Settings > Sound and Screen > Audio Output Settings > Output to Headphones > Select All Audio
2 Then go to Settings > Devices > Audio Devices > Headsets and Headphones > Volume Control (Headphones)

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 22
about the audio settings. the thought did cross my mind though I have no idea what would cause this to happen, plus I never change my audio settings. it is definitely worth looking over, just to make sure

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 22
so considering I have never truly had surround sound headphones or equipment. doesn't it seem bizarre soldering on a different cable would affect the audio in such a way?
Have you tried plugging the headphones into something beside the PS4?
Did you resolder the cable or did someone else?

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #12 of 22
a professional recabled the cans.

yes I've plugged them into my phone. all is well except for when I'm gaming that it becomes apparent something is wrong. I noticed it right away but I've been ignoring it since I wanted to get an answer before doing anything about it

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #13 of 22
a professional recabled the cans.

yes I've plugged them into my phone. all is well except for when I'm gaming that it becomes apparent something is wrong. I noticed it right away but I've been ignoring it since I wanted to get an answer before doing anything about it
Where the headphones recabled with the exact same type of cable or used aftermarket cable?
Picture of new cable?

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #14 of 22
the cables are aftermarket. totally different cables in every way. seems like a solid conclusion. another thing that is bizzare is plantronics still sells these specific headphones on their website but the parts are no longer available :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back