Direct upgrade to HD650

Better phones to Hd650?

• Sen 660

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Shure 1840

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
Jul 2, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 21
Honestly the 650 is a good headphone and you would probably have to spend quite a bit more for a headphone that is a direct upgrade which does everything better than the 650's. I'll share my experience with some of the headphones mentioned in this thread.

HD660
I listened to the 660's in a store out of a marantz dac/amp and didn't think it was better than the 650's as far as I remember. Beware last time I heard a 650 is more than a year ago and the Marantz isn't the best matchup for a 650.

Elear
I've not heard the Elear but I auditioned the Clear in a store once or twice. This headphone does share a few traits with the 650's and does most things a bit better (dynamics, clearer bass). It's a lot more expensive than 450 though.

Shures
Never heard the Shures so can't comment. Honestly I never see them talked about as a headphone that could be considered an upgrade to the 650's. Maybe that's because they have a completely different signature.

I don't have as much experience as other posters here but my advice would be to hang on to your 650's for now and save up for a much bigger step up. Alternatively you could look for a headphone which does certain things better or different at the expense of other traits. That would be a sidegrade more than an upgrade though.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 21
I got the hd6xx and i listened in a store to the hd660s and it was the best sounding hp in all sennheiser line up imo,but not by allot. Though it is defentliy an upgrade over the 650 and i think the best upgrade for the price, That said i would buy the elex based on what other people say.

Jul 2, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 21
Elear
I've not heard the Elear but I auditioned the Clear in a store once or twice. This headphone does share a few traits with the 650's and does most things a bit better (dynamics, clearer bass). It's a lot more expensive than 450 though

Just a note... The Elear can be had for 500$ from TTVJ.

That said, the Elex would be the Focal I would look at for a direct upgrade, but only can be found used at the 500$ price point.

I have the 660S, and it's a great set of headphones, but I enjoyed the Elex more.

Keith

Jul 2, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #7 of 21
I own a Focal Electra home theatre complement (20k), which are very energizing for movies, but I would never use Focal for music. I've owned a lot of jm lab focal over the years and their sound signature is always bright. Thats why I'd keep my 650s and avoid Focal headphones altogether.

Jul 3, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #9 of 21
Just buy the 660S, they are a spiritual successor to the 600 and 650 line regardless of what people say.

I wouldnt get the HD700, despite sharing the same driver, they tweaked it better for the 660S. The 700 is atrocious for sound and comfort.

Jul 3, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #11 of 21
i think it really depends on what would constitute a direct upgrade for the OP.
Probably, familiar build/comfort and house sound. Even though the 660S is better sounding.

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #12 of 21
You will never find a direct upgrade to the HD650. They scale like mad, have the smoothest treble and best timbre. Micro detail is a hair below the HD800.

If you want a SQ upgrade you’d be looking at spending a good 2000-3000 for something like an LCD-4. If you want something close in resolution but better sub bass and don’t mind losing a bit of natural timbre and upper mids you could try find a used LCD-2C. I have both here and they bounce off each other well. 2C better bass, speed. HD650 better resolve and smoothness, refined.

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #13 of 21
You do all realize @Sotiris has not posted in this thread since April. I can assume he has moved on from this question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back