1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Direct upgrade to HD650

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by Sotiris, Apr 14, 2019.
Tags:
?

Better phones to Hd650?

1. Sen 660

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Shure 1840

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Next

Last
  1. Sotiris
    Hi

Can you propose me a direct upgrade for senh hd650 that will be up to 450$?

Thanks

2. richardxigua
    I think you can try hd 650

3. Mani ATH 87
    My top three recommendations for an upgrade to the 650s would be the Focal Elear, Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open and ZMF Aeolus.

4. robert766
    Honestly the 650 is a good headphone and you would probably have to spend quite a bit more for a headphone that is a direct upgrade which does everything better than the 650's. I'll share my experience with some of the headphones mentioned in this thread.

HD660
    I listened to the 660's in a store out of a marantz dac/amp and didn't think it was better than the 650's as far as I remember. Beware last time I heard a 650 is more than a year ago and the Marantz isn't the best matchup for a 650.

Elear
    I've not heard the Elear but I auditioned the Clear in a store once or twice. This headphone does share a few traits with the 650's and does most things a bit better (dynamics, clearer bass). It's a lot more expensive than 450 though.

Shures
    Never heard the Shures so can't comment. Honestly I never see them talked about as a headphone that could be considered an upgrade to the 650's. Maybe that's because they have a completely different signature.

I don't have as much experience as other posters here but my advice would be to hang on to your 650's for now and save up for a much bigger step up. Alternatively you could look for a headphone which does certain things better or different at the expense of other traits. That would be a sidegrade more than an upgrade though.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  5. 12lior12
    I got the hd6xx and i listened in a store to the hd660s and it was the best sounding hp in all sennheiser line up imo,but not by allot. Though it is defentliy an upgrade over the 650 and i think the best upgrade for the price, That said i would buy the elex based on what other people say.

6. ksorota
    Just a note... The Elear can be had for 500$ from TTVJ.

That said, the Elex would be the Focal I would look at for a direct upgrade, but only can be found used at the 500$ price point.

I have the 660S, and it's a great set of headphones, but I enjoyed the Elex more.

Keith

7. dmdm
    I own a Focal Electra home theatre complement (20k), which are very energizing for movies, but I would never use Focal for music. I've owned a lot of jm lab focal over the years and their sound signature is always bright. Thats why I'd keep my 650s and avoid Focal headphones altogether.

8. Mani ATH 87
    The Elex is a good choice as well. It has a more even treble range (because it has different pads then the Elear) and a bit less bass. It's slightly more neutral sounding where as the Elear is a bit warmer.

9. Tsukuyomi
    Just buy the 660S, they are a spiritual successor to the 600 and 650 line regardless of what people say.

I wouldnt get the HD700, despite sharing the same driver, they tweaked it better for the 660S. The 700 is atrocious for sound and comfort.

10. robert766
    i think it really depends on what would constitute a direct upgrade for the OP.

11. Tsukuyomi
    Probably, familiar build/comfort and house sound. Even though the 660S is better sounding.

12. xRaptorxPunisher
    You will never find a direct upgrade to the HD650. They scale like mad, have the smoothest treble and best timbre. Micro detail is a hair below the HD800.

If you want a SQ upgrade you’d be looking at spending a good 2000-3000 for something like an LCD-4. If you want something close in resolution but better sub bass and don’t mind losing a bit of natural timbre and upper mids you could try find a used LCD-2C. I have both here and they bounce off each other well. 2C better bass, speed. HD650 better resolve and smoothness, refined.

13. thecrow
    You do all realize @Sotiris has not posted in this thread since April. I can assume he has moved on from this question

14. 329161
    Hd660 and Focal Elex.

15. 329161
    Haha just saw this. Might be useful for others. It's a pretty common question.

Next

Last