Dipping a big toe
Feb 11, 2013 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

deafanddumb

500+ Head-Fier
Hello to everyone

As a new member, the pursuit of audiophile nirvana has led me to your door. I hope someone is in.....

Forgive me for my sins, but presently I am the proud owner of an Ipod nano and Bose QC 15's. Gasp, horror....no! Well, for my office environment and my fear of flying, this combination has served me well, in creating a world of my own.

My question to anyone who has ever found themselves with a similar starting point (and i have read many of your threads) is...how do I still protect my discretion at work by retaining a degree of sound isolation, both inwards and outwards, but also make a significant leap towards refined, insightful, wow inducing sound reproduction???

I have been eyeing the Astell & Kern AK100 and the Colorfly C4, to match my capable but limited, warm, soft QC15's as an initial step....mainly due to their excellent level of performance, coupled with there differing but highly alluring designs.

Is this a recommended move....and what would fit an over ear, closed back or highly sealed headphone alternative, as the second great leap for my earkind?

Thanks in advance....

deafanddumb

Ps I have posted in this section due to my headphone dilemma being my biggest need for help.....

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 7
Hello!

Nothing wrong with QC15s, especially when flying. Every time I go first/business class internationally, I put aside what I personally brought and use the Bose they hand out on the flight.

I'm not entirely convinced that an AK100 or Colorfly C4 is the best use of money, but it depends a lot on your usage. If you're looking for an on-to-go all in one solution, it makes a bit more sense.

Same goes with asking for headphone recommendations. You probably want to state your budget, genres of music you prefer to listen to, intended usage and as much relevant information regarding your priorities for the headphones as you can before people make a more informed recommendation.

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 7
Heya,

If you want a closed back headphone that has everything and is the best for the dollar, there's a simple sollution:

Mr Speaker Mad Dog with Alpha Pads

It's an investment that will compete with any $1,000+ setup. Get hifi, get high-end, for a mid-fi price.

Very best,

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 7
Man....2 replies already and this UK citizen is very happy! :)

The Mr Speakers recommendation is a great one....busy reading review. Do you have them and do you think they will blow the QC15's away?

By the way....my music preferences are Elliot Smith, Jeff Buckley, Robert Palmer, Some irish folk, such as Christy Moore.....Also, some of the British greats, such as Sting, Pink Floyd, Genesis and Radiohead. Hope that helps pin down some interesting thoughts?

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Man....2 replies already and this UK citizen is very happy! :)

The Mr Speakers recommendation is a great one....busy reading review. Do you have them and do you think they will blow the QC15's away?

By the way....my music preferences are Elliot Smith, Jeff Buckley, Robert Palmer, Some irish folk, such as Christy Moore.....Also, some of the British greats, such as Sting, Pink Floyd, Genesis and Radiohead. Hope that helps pin down some interesting thoughts?

Unequivocally yes. The QC15 is a toy by comparison.

It covers every genre from Classical to Dub. It's what I call a "complete" headphone, as in, it performs very well in all frequency ranges and has excellent balance.

Very best,

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 7
After reading the review....would you say that because of its laid back flat character that the AK100, which seems to be similar, may not be best suited? and that the Colorfly C4 with its 6.35mm Jack could be a better match?

Also....if I had a little more budget than the Alpha Pad version, what would be the next step up, which you may take? Must be closed back or well isolating and be an acknowledged comfort king!

Thanks

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
After reading the review....would you say that because of its laid back flat character that the AK100, which seems to be similar, may not be best suited? and that the Colorfly C4 with its 6.35mm Jack could be a better match?

Also....if I had a little more budget than the Alpha Pad version, what would be the next step up, which you may take? Must be closed back or well isolating and be an acknowledged comfort king!

Thanks

The Mad Dogs are superb. They compete with a lot of high end headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back