Dilemma: Should I not believe any reviewers who talk about cables or just ignore that section of their review?
May 8, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #77 of 1,790
So happiness comes from where? In your head so the upgrade cable made you happy. Enjoy and if you dont enjoy it stop doing what is not making you happy.

I'd rather know the truth and decide for myself, better that than live in darkness believing that Apollo will hop in his chariot and start dragging the sun across the sky in the morning. I'm also happy that I have more money for headphones and music.

May 8, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #78 of 1,790
Agree with Magick Man. Thats the whole point. No one needs to spend $200 on cables to make them feel happy.

May 8, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #79 of 1,790
Hehe you bringing mythology into music? How many headphones you need to be able to enjoy music? How do you know if one headphone sounds better then another? Do you also have some machine to test which one really sound better or do you trust your hearing?
Quote:
I'd rather know the truth and decide for myself, better that than live in darkness believing that Apollo will hop in his chariot and start dragging the sun across the sky in the morning. I'm also happy that I have more money for headphones and music.

May 8, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #81 of 1,790

Should I not believe any reviewers who talk about cables or just ignore - Your answer is to ignore and if that makes you feel proud then ignore and if you enjoy upgrading for whatever reason then do it.

May 8, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #82 of 1,790
Quote:
Many would say that no one needs to spend $200 on a earphone to hear good music. Also some cant spend much on a cable.

True, I'm pretty sure there are better earphones for less than $200 compared to Beats. There's no correlation of cost to performance. 

May 8, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #83 of 1,790
OP the only way for you to really find this out is to hear it for yourself. If you rather not go that route then fine. I can clearly hear a difference with my IE8 and IE80s using the silver cable and its enough of a difference to warrant the price. Initially the cable made my IE8s sibilant for a few days and really smoothed out after some burn in. Can someone imagine sibilance? Can sibilance be created with expectation? Give me a break guys...I didn't pay $200+ for the cable nor would I pay $1000+ for a picolino cable.

The entire debate is subjective just as saying there is no way that we could hear the audible changes cables bring (this opinion is also subjective and not 100% objective). I can tell you from experience that a cable could also change the sound for the worse depending on synergy and the headphone/IEM. One such case is when using my FX700 with the included extension cable or even the Shure extension cable I bought. Going between the extensions and just plugging directly into the device leaves me disappointed. The extension kills the dynamics and makes the bass somewhat bloated. I'm not sure if this is due to resistance but it's quite disappointing.

May 8, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #84 of 1,790
Quote:

Should I not believe any reviewers who talk about cables or just ignore - Your answer is to ignore and if that makes you feel proud then ignore and if you enjoy upgrading for whatever reason then do it.

Well, pride has nothing to do with this. I'm sure people feel proud both ways.

May 8, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #85 of 1,790
Quote:

Well, pride has nothing to do with this. I'm sure people feel proud both ways.

If anything believe what you want. Just don't try to force your opinion on someone as if they are stupid or a fool. If you don't feel cables are worth it. Good for you. Do you have to step on someone to make yourself feel more adequate? It would be like saying "your hearing must be shot so you can't hear the difference lol". It goes both ways. (Proton I'm not directing this at you BTW, if anything I'm agreeing with you lol :wink:.)

May 8, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #86 of 1,790
I agree, thats why I never address my comments to any one person in general, or use big colored fonts. 
wink_face.gif

May 8, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #87 of 1,790
Lee - I agree to an extent. But there is harm in propogating falsehoods. Persistent mythology costs real money, and damages the credibility of the field. Truth matters. And we are dealing with claims which can be tested. When people ignore objective data in order to maintain a position, it is irrational, and in the long run, hurts all of us. 

May 8, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #88 of 1,790
Quote:
Can someone imagine sibilance?

YES....

Can sibilance be created with expectation?

YES.... also it is not exclusive to expectation. That is quite an arbitrary imagination that only limits one to expectation. Like I already said, after listening to ABX testing for a period of time, my mind started hearing differences that should not have existed but those differences were clear. I heard things like distortion, harshness and so on but at the end of the test, it was proven to be all in my head. I don't think your mind is made differently from anyone else's.

The entire debate is subjective just as saying there is no way that we could hear the audible changes cables bring (this opinion is also subjective and not 100% objective).

How is it not? People have failed to prove that there is a difference. People who espoused huge differences all the time (because they sell cables or review them) failed to recognize anything in blind testing. That is not subjective in any way. People please stop falling back on this crutch. 

I can tell you from experience that a cable could also change the sound for the worse depending on synergy and the headphone/IEM.

Unless you have ears far superior and discerning to the countless audio professionals that have been tested, no one would take you seriously.

One such case is when using my FX700 with the included extension cable or even the Shure extension cable I bought. Going between the extensions and just plugging directly into the device leaves me disappointed. The extension kills the dynamics and makes the bass somewhat bloated. I'm not sure if this is due to resistance but it's quite disappointing.

Sure... and I thought FLAC files sounded really grainy and unclear compared to MP3s in ABX testing. Why would I trust this kind of information at all? Remember, DBT and ABX are well documented by audio professionals and regular consumers, from believers and non-believers. Your arguments have been made before by far stronger cable advocates than yourself who still failed to recognize a difference. There is no subjectivity to the findings. If you wish to prove yourself beyond all previous study cases then you need to have a proven DBT. We aren't suddenly gonna believe that you have super-human hearing that is beyond anything documented before.

May 8, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #89 of 1,790
Quote:

Pride? Don't see how that is involved. The topic is about the fact that consumers (like myself) trust reviewers. I've made many purchases based on reviews. Sure I've been burned twice now (Senn HD598 and UM3x really aren't for me) but that is expected when I am still in the exploration phase of discovering my audio tastes. But I would like to know that the people I am extracting information from aren't just out right making up things in their head.

May 8, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #90 of 1,790
Quote:
Lee - I agree to an extent. But there is harm in propogating falsehoods. Persistent mythology costs real money, and damages the credibility of the field. Truth matters. And we are dealing with claims which can be tested. When people ignore objective data in order to maintain a position, it is irrational, and in the long run, hurts all of us. 

As an engineer I have to agree, but I guess truth is what someone believes it to be. I hold objective data and design as truth, some put their ears/brain in this position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back