DigiZoid ZO2 + Pro 900 = Distortion (vs. Fiio E5 & E11) *Video*
Feb 19, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #61 of 112

Quote:
Yup! That's the thread that I linked a few posts up. Of course the E11 is ranked number 1
tongue.gif

One other person with the A10 and E11 suggested I stick with the E11.
I'm considering keeping both the A10 and E11. I'd use the A10 to replace my E5 during gym use. I would also like to buy the E17 when it's available here. I just don't need 4 portable amps.

so...why not. get the E11..return it before it's 30 day or period is over. wait a few weeks. and get an E17... :3
the E17 will be here in U.S mid march..how it will do and if it will sell out fast is unknown. mass availbility is betting on in april though. i was just lucky :3 some pics in my signature to make u jelly btw

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #62 of 112

Quote:
I returned my E11 because of the dent that I got. Now I have a choice to repurchase the E11 or try out the A10.

I want to try out the A10 because of the size. In terms of bass, I want the most possible because I can always EQ the bass down with my Rockbox Clip+. I just love (clean) bass.
I'm hesitant on the A10 because I don't want it to end up being like the ZO2:
1. Bass has noticeably less detail/not as clean as the E11. I'm hoping the A10 has detailed, clean bass.
2. Impact is lost! This was a huge problem. I love the impact and punchiness I feel with my Pro 900 and HFI580 with the E11. I really hope that isn't going to be lost with the A10.
3. Distortion/EQ-able. This is also big. With my E11 and Rockbox Clip+, I can EQ the bass to the maximum +24dB gain with virtually no distortion! With the ZO2, I have to leave the bass at 0. This is why I get much more bass with the E11 over the ZO2. From my video, the distortion is so significant that you can actually hear it from the recording on my iPhone.
4. Driveability. I hope the A10 would be able to drive my Pro 900
blink.gif
I also plan on purchasing the LCD-2 and I heard the E11 might be able to drive them.

I'm probably one of the biggest bassheads, but I'm also an audiophile. If you can answer this in terms of how it sounds with your D2K, I'd appreciate it since the D2K is similar to the Pro 900.
I should probably also wait until you receive your ZO2 so that you can hear what I don't want.

1. It won't be as clean, as the mids sound warmer. Bass is almost identical, but your overall SQ won't be
2. No impact is lost, but the A10's don't drive as good as the E11
3. No distortion so far, on loud volumes nor XB bass on.
4. Again, the A10's don't drive as good as the E11 - and about your Pro 900's I guess every headphone has its amp

5. I do suggest you wait for my ZO2 to come in :)

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #63 of 112

Quote:

1. It won't be as clean, as the mids sound warmer. Bass is almost identical, but your overall SQ won't be
2. No impact is lost, but the A10's don't drive as good as the E11
3. No distortion so far, on loud volumes nor XB bass on.
4. Again, the A10's don't drive as good as the E11 - and about your Pro 900's I guess every headphone has its amp

5. I do suggest you wait for my ZO2 to come in :)

Yea, it looks like I'm not going to downgrade from my E11. I would've like to try the A10, but I don't want to keep dealing with returns. There hasn't been one product I haven't returned/exchanged since I joined head-fi
tongue.gif

Clie also told me this:

Quote:
Overall, beside quantity, I'll say E11's bass is better than A10 in every way. A10's bass has a little more quantity because it is boosted even before the SB switch is turned on. But as far as impact, speed, texture, etc, E11 is still better.

It pretty much tells me everything I need to hear.

Quote:
so...why not. get the E11..return it before it's 30 day or period is over. wait a few weeks. and get an E17... :3
the E17 will be here in U.S mid march..how it will do and if it will sell out fast is unknown. mass availbility is betting on in april though. i was just lucky :3 some pics in my signature to make u jelly btw

If I buy another E11, I'm going to stick with it.
Then I'm going to buy a desktop amp.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #64 of 112
Ehh. why note i guess. i have the E17 already so im looking for an legit desktop amp the next time around and will use the E17 as a dedicated DAC bypassing the internal amp with the L7.

im looking at Schiit Asgard, and some others. maybe an O2...really who knows. from my time on the E17 thread. many with the E17 have tried it with other amost thousand dollar DAC's that have the WM8740 as the E17..and more or less came to the conclusion. it sounds better..but very unnoticable and not worth the money..ill just stick with E17-L7-->awesome amp :D

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #65 of 112

Quote:
Yea, it looks like I'm not going to downgrade from my E11. I would've like to try the A10, but I don't want to keep dealing with returns. There hasn't been one product I haven't returned/exchanged since I joined head-fi
tongue.gif

Clie also told me this:

I agree with him.
But the MAIN thing for me is:
-Portability
-Changing the SQ

So, the E11, even though is cleaner, and tighter, its just too....flat and normal for enjoying anything "different"

For me: I have a bass boost + volume boos ton my SGS INTERNALLY via an app (awesome app called voodoo control)

So I never wanted something that only does those, and the E11, does just about that, nothing else to my ears.
The A10 however colours it, and makes it a different and more overall pleasant experience.

As i said, the A10, i doubt will be for you.
I suggested, and as you said, to stick with the E11 (I know someone that might be able to sell it to u for a cheaper price btw) + get the E17/E7 for your desktop amp.

EDIT:
I Pm'ed the seller of one of the items i recently bought from head-fi and forwarded to PM you regarding his E11.
He was going to sell his E11 to me incl another item I bought - but I decided not to as I was still undecided at the time
(The guy is VERY nice to deal with!)

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #66 of 112
Ok!
Just got the ZO2 in :)

Now I got a little issue....why doesn't this thing drive?
If anything it decreases the volume coming from my source?

Might be a nob question, but I've tried, brightest blue colour + high gain mode -> they aren't as loud as source.

I'm going like this:
SGS -> 2 way splitter -> ZO2 on one, nothing on the other.
Almost like A/Bing the amp.

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #67 of 112
Ok!
Just got the ZO2 in :)

Now I got a little issue....why doesn't this thing drive?
If anything it decreases the volume coming from my source?

Might be a nob question, but I've tried, brightest blue colour + high gain mode -> they aren't as loud as source.

I'm going like this:
SGS -> 2 way splitter -> ZO2 on one, nothing on the other.
Almost like A/Bing the amp.

It should drive. Purple is the max volume for low gain (sometimes not loud enough for some) and then pink is high gain.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #69 of 112
wow ok pink is brilliant :D!

I'm leaving it on high-gain from now on.
I'm just surprised as, on the E11 low gain on vol 8 - is still a huge boost.

Bas boost on ZO2 is something to be adored.
Now I shall go ahead and compare the SQ.

I think I'm loving the ZO2 though

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #70 of 112
Quote:
wow ok pink is brilliant :D!

I'm leaving it on high-gain from now on.
I'm just surprised as, on the E11 low gain on vol 8 - is still a huge boost.

Bas boost on ZO2 is something to be adored.
Now I shall go ahead and compare the SQ.

I think I'm loving the ZO2 though

Great! Hopefully you enjoy it more than I did.

Now I think I'm going to purchase an E17 instead of getting the E11 again since I can use the DAC...
blink.gif

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #73 of 112
To give you the idea of driving power:

1. ZO2 on PURPLE - thus highest LOW GAIN setting
Is the same as:
-E11 on notch 3 - on LOW GAIN
-A10 on 0.75-1 wheel scroll

2. ZO2 on PINT - thus HIGH GAIN setting
Is the same as:
-E11 on LOW GAIN with 7 sound
-A10 is not as loud as the ZO2, around 0.5 wheel away from being as loud, but the A10's is maxed, and isn't as loud as the ZO2 on HIGH GAIN

Now with BASS TESTS:
-A10 BASS XB ON = ZO2 on: Yellow with a hint of green
-E11 on EQ1 = ZO2 on: 2-3clicks from default green colour setting. So a little yellow tint, but still green
-E11 on EQ2 = ZO2 on: Yellow with a hint of green (same/very close to A10)

I also see what you mean about "cleaner" The E11 is "cleaner" sounding than the ZO2, it does take some time to realise the difference.

So far:
For portability + bass = ZO2
For cleaner sounding, but not as much bass controls, with a warmer sound too = A10
For home or bulky portability, with excellent gain and clean sounding SQ = E11

A10 is also cleaner sounding than the ZO2

I shall be testing EMI on the ZO2 tomorrow - stay tuned 
As the A10 had huge issues here...

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #75 of 112
I lol when people consider E11 to be bulky. Such an obsession with minuscule form factors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back