DigiZoid ZO FS & ZO FS+ (a.k.a. ZO3) Updates & Discussion Thread
Dec 12, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #436 of 605
What 2 amps that you have are you referring to? So you are dual amping? I thought that was bad because of noise or sibiance? What difference does the $55 more expensive FS+ have?

I have the ALO MK3b and the Vorzuge Duo the Vorzuge is an extremely quite amp and the FS doesn't create any noise I plug it into the headphone out then plug my cans into the FS out and use the EQ on the FS to fine tune to my tastes which is bass heavy. As I understand the plus version has a amp that can be used with the EQ portion off which would make no sense to me since I already have 2 great amps . I have never audtioned the plus so I really cant make any kind of reference about it. I had trouble with my first FS when I sent it back for repair I really missed it ! It opened up my library mainly consisting of classic rock and blues to a whole new level . I've been on board with DigiZoid since the 1st series was produced and now own 1-2 and the FS it's like carrying an on board equalizer with my portable systems    

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #437 of 605
Hey, I have a couple quick questions, hopefully I can get some help. I remember I subscribed to this thread when it first began before the FS came out, now I've been thinking about really getting it.
First, I already have a Fiio E11 and I love it, only thing I use it for is the bass boost, love booming bass. Why should I get an FS instead of sticking with my e11? Probably a dumb question, but I really am wondering.
Also, what's the difference between the normal fs and the plus? Anyone find it worth the extra $55?
Lastly, would this be ideal for a portable/desktop amp, mostly for bass boost? What should I expect to be different between the Fiio E11 and this FS?

Thanks for any help everyone

The ZO is nothing like the E11 (which I also have). It's a much more robust enhancement, but without adding any distortion or extra bloat. If you like low end "noise", then the ZO might not be for you. If you like a clean low end enhancement that will bring out the thump on tracks where the thump is present, while not artificially muddying up the bass for the sake of "boom", then the ZO is definitely worth a shot. I like Fiio products for what they are, but the ZO is in a different legue, IMO. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #438 of 605
The ZO is nothing like the E11 (which I also have). It's a much more robust enhancement, but without adding any distortion or extra bloat. If you like low end "noise", then the ZO might not be for you. If you like a clean low end enhancement that will bring out the thump on tracks where the thump is present, while not artificially muddying up the bass for the sake of "boom", then the ZO is definitely worth a shot. I like Fiio products for what they are, but the ZO is in a different legue, IMO. 

Thanks a lot. Finally can get kinda a comparison between the two.

What do you mean by noise? Like sibiance and hissing kind of noise?
I'm a big bass head, I love heavy bass and impact, so idk if the ZO would be suited for that. Can the FS get to a bass boost like the E11 or E12? I still want to try the FS, but I also am considering getting an E12 now.

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #439 of 605
I just got my FS+ back from repair after Battery issues. I too missed it and used my ZO 2 while it was in the shop. I noticed a huge difference between the two. The clarity and detail, and presence of a fuller spectrum in sound separated ZO3 from ZO2. It exploit the subwoofer on my Sony XBA 40s.

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #440 of 605
Thanks a lot. Finally can get kinda a comparison between the two.

What do you mean by noise? Like sibiance and hissing kind of noise?
I'm a big bass head, I love heavy bass and impact, so idk if the ZO would be suited for that. Can the FS get to a bass boost like the E11 or E12? I still want to try the FS, but I also am considering getting an E12 now.

Oh the bass bost is much more significant in the ZO than the Fiio, IMO. I just tend to distinguish between clean, crisp bass and boomy/bloated bass. Some people like bass that is over-exaggerated and bloated...which is what I'm referring to as "noise" lol. That's just not for me. I like a clean low end that can thump, but in a way that doesn't turn it into sloppy noise. The E11 can't come close to doing what the ZO can do in the low end, I just like to explain my personal taste so you have that information to consider. I'd give the ZO a listen if possible...that's always the best way to know if it's for you, but I"m sure I don't need to tell you that. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #441 of 605
I have a Woo Audio WA6-SE and Audeze LCD-3 cans. I'm using a Modwright Oppo BDP-95 tube universal player. I play SACD, DVD-A, and hi-rez FLAC files. I love the sound, but some recordings are lite on the bass.  When listening to the speakers, I can always bump up the subwoofer to compensate. Is the ZO FS+ going to be a good way to boost the bass on my cans? Will it degrade the sound? Anyone try this amp on a home system?

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #442 of 605
  I have a Woo Audio WA6-SE and Audeze LCD-3 cans. I'm using a Modwright Oppo BDP-95 tube universal player. I play SACD, DVD-A, and hi-rez FLAC files. I love the sound, but some recordings are lite on the bass.  When listening to the speakers, I can always bump up the subwoofer to compensate. Is the ZO FS+ going to be a good way to boost the bass on my cans? Will it degrade the sound? Anyone try this amp on a home system?

Well besides using a high quality hardware desktop EQ which also has the benefit of ability to configure exactly how the bass is boosted, I'd say ZO FS might probably do the best quality job at boosting bass. For my taste ZO FS is doing it almost too "cleanly" because the bass is so tight & controlled it almost kills the excitement I'm looking for in EDM tracks which doesn't need the last step of refinement in bass. :p

The trebleboost adjustability would also become very handy for LCD3 which is not the brightest can out there and I'd imagine using ZO FS it would sound slightly bit too dark without upping also the treble level a bit since it's pretty smooth sounding at the lowest treble level. The treble adjustment steps are very small so it's easy to get exactly the preferred treble level.

Although having said that I got no experience pairing it with a desktop setup but I believe Oregonian is using it with a retro'ish fullsize desktop source and the ZO FS also has upped the input voltage capability compared to the previous versions considerably but these ZO amps are special in that regard that they work best/sound cleanest when the source volume is set a bit lower and the ZO volume is turned up to a decent level, I'd say aprox vol level 150 - 175 or so on the ZO FS to leave more headroom and not making the signal too "hot" to avoid clipping. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #443 of 605

The trebleboost adjustability would also become very handy for LCD3 which is not the brightest can out there and I'd imagine using ZO FS it would sound slightly bit too dark without upping also the treble level a bit since it's pretty smooth sounding at the lowest treble level. The treble adjustment steps are very small so it's easy to get exactly the preferred treble level.

I agree on the trebleboost also. I do like the warm sound of the LCD-3 and the mids are nuanced and articulate, but it does not have the brightest notes on the musical Christmas tree. I actually ordered the FS+ yesterday. Looking forward to playing around with it on the home system and my portable. Thanks for the info. I was getting a little preemptive "buyer remorse". I feel a little more confident that I did the right thing. Will post impressions after I get a little time with it. The accuracy thing should work in my favor because I listen to a lot of jazz with acoustic bass and classic rock, some classical, no EDM.

It would be nice to hear what Oregonian has to say about the ZO with a desktop system.   

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #444 of 605

I received my ZO FS+ on Monday January 5. I connected it to an old 80gb Zune and Sennheizer HD590 headphones. It really enhanced the sound. I set it at 5 treble and 15 bass. I can understand how the ZO can be addictive. It's like upgrading to much better cans. However my primary purpose for the ZO was to be able to bump up the bass on music that was mixed a little lite on my home system (Oppo BDP-95 with Modwright tube mods, Woo Audio WA6-SE and Audeze LCD-3's). Here the ZO was a step down. I lost the black and detail in the mids and lows. Unenhanced, the system had a much tighter bass and punchier percussion. So the ZO goes back. If I used my portable player more I would have kept it. It really is a fun and dramatic upgrade there. I only use my portable about twice a year, when I'm traveling or camping. So, I can't justify the cost. Bummer. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #445 of 605

Well besides using a high quality hardware desktop EQ which also has the benefit of ability to configure exactly how the bass is boosted, I'd say ZO FS might probably do the best quality job at boosting bass. For my taste ZO FS is doing it almost too "cleanly" because the bass is so tight & controlled it almost kills the excitement I'm looking for in EDM tracks which doesn't need the last step of refinement in bass. :p

Although having said that I got no experience pairing it with a desktop setup but I believe Oregonian is using it with a retro'ish fullsize desktop source and the ZO FS also has upped the input voltage capability compared to the previous versions considerably but these ZO amps are special in that regard that they work best/sound cleanest when the source volume is set a bit lower and the ZO volume is turned up to a decent level, I'd say aprox vol level 150 - 175 or so on the ZO FS to leave more headroom and not making the signal too "hot" to avoid clipping. 

Hey RPGwiz, I've read a lot of your posts on the ZO2 and the ZO FS. I listen to a lot of EDM and am thinking of getting one of the ZOs to boost the bass. After I read your bolded part above, I immediately hesitated to jump on the ZO FS. Do you think I should just get the ZO2 for EDM?

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #446 of 605
  Hey RPGwiz, I've read a lot of your posts on the ZO2 and the ZO FS. I listen to a lot of EDM and am thinking of getting one of the ZOs to boost the bass. After I read your bolded part above, I immediately hesitated to jump on the ZO FS. Do you think I should just get the ZO2 for EDM?

Both are fun. FS is tighter, has more power, and better quality. The 2 has a warmer feel. It's the difference between CDs and vinyl. Clearly what DigiZoid needs to do with the 3.1 is make a it a setting hahah.

I get the feeling that the ZO 2 was a bit more analog than the FS, but I could be wrong.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #447 of 605
Which ZO 2 are we talking about? ^^ The ZO2.1 also had a noticeably different sound signature than ZO2.3.  

The ZO FS is definitely the more neutral balanced sound signature which was kinda expected at this price point. Neutral sounds perhaps weird to say since most will bump up the bass a lot with it but I'm talking about voicing for the mids - highs range. I have the ZO FS+ myself and have the ability to switch off SmartVektor and doing so you really get a superb neutral balance I percieve, nothing is sticking out and there's lots of details. However I didn't buy ZO FS for neutral sound, I bought it for engaging sound signature which the SmartVektor provides more than enough without destroying sound quality. And no disabling SmartVektor on ZO FS+ won't lead you to a sound sounding near that of SmartVektor set to 0/0 bass/treble. It has distinct differences, the sound is a more transparent (compare "digital" sound vs "analog") and the highs are slightly bit crispier (but yea with SmartVektor set to 0 on treble the ZO FS sound very slightly bit smoothed out in the highs which is a good thing since it has the treble boost ability) and overall it's somewhat less "thick" sounding in exchange for really good microdetail/texture when SmartVektor is off. So the SmartVektor provides a bit colored sound for sure but it's a very nice one at that, no other processing on portable amps (I'm talking all the fancy "3D stage" kind of settings) do such a job like ZO does, it works so well and is so addicting for me the way it sounds that I kinda lose interest in other amps since I like that colorisation so much. :p Like I'd summarize it shortly, it provides a more "speaker-like" sound.

The different ZOs usually have different synergy with the headphones too, ZO FS is a fantastic pairing with Signature DJs for example while the ZO2.1 and ZO2.3 provides a decent pairing, a bit too "mushy" if being extremely analytical. While I very much enjoy ZO2.1 with my Q40 for example but equally some other cans the ZO2.1 can sound pretty muddy also depending on the source used etc. so I'm glad to have them all. :p

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #448 of 605
Hi all,

This is my first post and I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to audio stuff so go easy on me :)

Anyway, I'm very interested in the FS+ but the issue with the battery is a bit scary for me as I'm living in the UK and I'd rather avoid having to ship back to the US to get it repaired etc.
As far as you guys know, is the battery issue most likely sorted now or is there still a high risk to get one of the "faulty" units?

Cheers!

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #449 of 605
Alebove: Welcome to Head-fi. Although I get tired of hearing it all the time, I'll go ahead and initiate you since I've never had the opportunity: "Sorry for your Wallet!"  :)

I think the batter issue just comes down to the way you charge it. Digizoid has a PDF about how to avoid over-discharging the battery and how to correct the issue if you do.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #450 of 605
Thanks for the welcome!
I had a feeling this will cause a drought in my wallet :D

I've contacted Digizoid to see if they can ship to hotels in the US as I'm going to San Francisco in March so I could de-risk any chance of import taxes if they were to ship to the UK.

I'm also looking at local meet-ups in the UK, I haven't tried much audiophile equipment and it's difficult to make any choice without experiencing it first.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back