DigiZoid ZO FS & ZO FS+ (a.k.a. ZO3) Updates & Discussion Thread
Sep 4, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #301 of 605
  I know ZO2 and I know how SmartVector works. But I want to ask, How FS sound in general? What is SQ?

I have FiiO X5 i wonder if ZO3 can improve something and what is an effects with K612 pro and Fidelio L2? Someone check this?

SQ = sound quality

Compared to the previous ZO2.3 the ZO FS offer a more refined higher quality sound, the mids in particular are significantly improved, while on ZO2.3 the mids sound pretty laid-back and lifeless while on ZO FS it's more like how I expect them to be like, so the timbre (highs vs mids balance) is certainly improved and more realistic. The bass offers a bit better punch and a lot better control, in fact that's probably ZO FS's most impressive feat, to the point some listeners may find it TOO controlled possibly(?). :)

Highs are neither in the focus nor missing, it seems lining up pretty well with the mids and it has a decent resolution, not top-notch but good at the price point it is. Soundstaging is a bit improved compared to previous ZOs and offer a bit more sense of space/depth/layering.

Overall I feel the new ZO FS is definitely stepping it up sound quality-wise in a pretty noticeably manner while the previous ZO's packs a lot of "fun-factor" (which is more important for me personally than absolute sound quality/detail/accurate sound) despite not the most refined sound in those previous ZOs.

The bottom line is that the new ZO FS steps it up in the sound quality quite significantly which I feel it has to when it has had a significant price hike in exchange for slightly less "fun" sound. Even if I like the ZO2.1 (which I find even more "fun" than ZO2.3 and my previous favorite) I feel that the sound quality improvement is so much larger compared to the loss in "fun-factor" that I still feel it's a very reasonable upgrade.

Sep 4, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #302 of 605
Thanks RPGWizard :)

The problem is I heard ZO2 a long time ago, and would be better if someone compare it to headphone out in X5 which is very very good. :)

X5-HPout vs X5@LineOut > transparent amp in ZO FS+? 

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #303 of 605
We’ve recently had a couple ZOwners comment on the ZO FS’s sound quality in regards to bass. So we decided to break out our test equipment and run some frequency response plot comparisons on ZO, ZO 2.1, ZO 2.3 & ZO FS under various loads (which represent common headphone/IEM loads). Here are our results (note: all curves were normalized to 1kHz).

15 Ohm Load

33 Ohm Load

67 Ohm Load

176 Ohm Load

323 Ohm Load

First thing you may notice is that ZO FS's frequency response is very consistent across the various loads (this is because it doesn't use output capacitors in the audio signal chain). It also performs much better in the sub-bass region (there's not as much roll-off). One of the reasons for this is the increase in ZO's power (in particular, max current output, as you need good current supply to produce fast, punchy, controlled bass). If you'd like to see the complete set of plots and get a further explanation, we've got a post dedicated to it on our blog! 

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #308 of 605
I pre-ordered a zofs on July 29th and received it Aug 26th. With reference recordings I get a chill and an excitement as I did with my home system. (vandersteen 5a's/ayre)

The zofs adds body and dynamics to lots of recordings that are below reference grade and makes them listenable which I could not on my home system.

Battery life is amazingly good.  This is my first headphone system.

Marantz 5004>zofs>Nads   

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #309 of 605
  I pre-ordered a zofs on July 29th and received it Aug 26th. With reference recordings I get a chill and an excitement as I did with my home system. (vandersteen 5a's/ayre)

The zofs adds body and dynamics to lots of recordings that are below reference grade and makes them listenable which I could not on my home system.

Battery life is amazingly good.  This is my first headphone system.

Marantz 5004>zofs>Nads   

Agreed on this assessment that ZO FS adds "Body and dynamics" I see it easily said as turning your headphone setup into a cheap man's hifi home theater setup. The new ZO FS does pack a noticeable sound quality upgrade but I often wish the bass max quantity went further whereas on the previous ZO's I never went like past halfway. However lvl 31 seems pretty nice, somehow lvl 32 adds noticeably less punch and bloats the bass output more instead so therefore I stick to lvl 31. 

Also I have a slight different dilemma too, that I'd need a treble level that is exactly in-between lvl 4 and 5. Depending on recording either lvl4 or lvl5 works better for me. With slight lacking treble in recording or say vocal/instrumental based music or EDM that tends to be less than averagely bright, lvl5 adds that welcomed resolution while with moderately bright - to bright recordings, especially EDM I tend to prefer lvl4 since the lower the treble level the more stronger the bass impact is too and I like to feel that "thump" in my head/ears and often it's like that level 4 I feel it and with level 5 I stop feeling it. :p But it's not only about the bass but also the timbre balance, a perfect timbre balance brings the ideal perception of depth (not too distant sounding, increasing the treble level will increase the percieved "distance" and I like it to sound relatively intimate as that keeps "engaging" me more so too much brightness makes it sound distant (I feel disconnected with the music). So therefore I feel something right in-between would be ideal for me. Of course this probably varies depending on source/headphone used and with my current setup that would be the case but with another source for example either level 4 or 5 may be perfect.

But yea in terms of dynamicness, midrange resolution & feeling of midrange thickness (the previous ZO2.3 lacked especially there) and imaging and bass quality the new ZO FS is a really good performer at its asking price. I personally would be very curious to try ZO FS with the ZO2.1 contour settings and will see if I can arrange a special arrangement where I could try both side by side and send back whichever setting I prefer less. I have a feeling the ZO2.1 settings should add a little more bass quantity and punch(?). I'll lay low for a while and do no try to push digiZoid too harshly about it, better get those shipments going right now.

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #310 of 605
With my old home stereo, I knew the system was as good as any live performance. There are a couple of exceptions like Tull at the Beacon, in NYC, Frampton at a small club, and BB King in Nashville.  So instead of blaming the equipment I always faulted the recording.

With my headphone system, I wanted to tone it down and listen to the music.  Hence the Marantz>zofs>Nad.
But honestly it is still the recording that gets in the way.

So as of yet I cannot hear the difference between the treble on 4 or 5.  As for the bass, again, according to the recording I am at 24 to 31, and I agree that 32 is a bit much.

There are recordings that are just boring to listen to even though I love the music.  I guess that is what streaming music is for.

I personally feel the the zofs did exactly what I bought it for, and is reasonably priced.

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #311 of 605
Hello all, first post but long time lurker. Just got my zofss so I thought I'd chime in.

Quote:
  Has anyone tried this with the he400 or sz2000's? 

I tried them with the he400's and I thought they sounded very good. Using my dx50 I could never get a good heavy bass sound without making the mids and highs unbearably loud. With the zofs though I can keep them at a reasonable level and still get that nice thick low end when listening to things like edm and dub.

When comparing it to my zo2.3 I actually feel it has the same bass quantity at lv32 as the older one has at solid red, however the bass is much more refined on the zofs than the zo2.3. For the volume controls, the dark blue - pink settings on the zo2.3 seem to roughly equate volume settings 100-190 on the zofs. It also definitely has better power handling capabilities. Using the line-out on the dx50 @ 255 the zo2.3 became horribly distorted but at the same level with the zofs the music comes through perfectly clear and the fine volume control lets me dial it in from barely audible to WHAT?! It even handles the headphone-out at max volume in high-gain mode without a hitch.

I actually bought 2 zofs' as I had planned on gifting one to a friend (for last Christmas lol), but as this is still an unproven product I decided to put both through their paces. SQ between the two was indistinguishable and both sounded very good. Cosmetically, one had a couple small pits in the metal before painting; nothing horrible but noticeable when placed side by side. Eventually I got a bit crazy and decided to daisy-chain them. All I can say is that I kind of hope digizoid makes a zoX2 at some point because at SVT lv40 (10+30) you get a true club music experience. At lv50 (20+30) it FEELS like you're right there in the middle of the club, with bass that re-clocks your pulse. Lv64 (32+32) is just madness; you really can't listen to anything with lyrics at this level as it sounds like you're listening to the music with your head against a fan. Instrumental edm and dub is bearable but I definitely feel this is well beyond the "too much of a good thing" point.

I want to test these with my iems now but unfortunately after stress testing the battery for the aforementioned low-battery issue they are now both doa. I did noticed it will wipe your svt and vol settings if it shuts down due to low bat but that's not too big an issue. Hopefully I can get these repaired before too long and come back with some more results.

Sep 11, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #313 of 605
Damn wish i could afford 2 FS to double amp like u said but my wallet is feeling abit light atm :frowning2:
So have any of you guys tried double amping the ZO2.3 with the FS ? I currently double amp the ZO2.3 with a C&C BH2 with pretty good results. Btw anyone tried the ZO FS with the M100 yet? I'm still on the fence if i should grab the FS or not

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #314 of 605
I'm curious about double among as well, but would that be a bit of overkill? I love my intruder but would love to have bass and treble adjustments that these units offer. Or perhaps the digizoid will sound plenty good on its own...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back