DigiZoid ZO FS & ZO FS+ (a.k.a. ZO3) Updates & Discussion Thread
Aug 11, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #213 of 605
Dang it. I ordered day one of the preorder and no tracking yet.........

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #216 of 605
Dang it. I ordered day one of the preorder and no tracking yet.........

Got my tracking number last night........will deliver Thursday!

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #218 of 605
Going to be giving each of my cans a full day with the ZO FS. Yesterday was Mr Speakers' Mad Dog w/ Alpha Pads, and today was Beyerdynamic's DT-770 Pro-80.

To start with, I'm driving the ZO FS through an ODAC, which provides a transparent 2Vrms line-out. The ZO FS handled this distortion-free. No more turning line volume down to 30%!

Mad Dog with Alpha Pads

As far as difficult-to-drive cans go, the planar Mad Dogs have a penchant for bringing amps to their knees when it comes to bass. As sort of an ultimate test, I played Bear McCreary's "Mandala in the Clouds", whose taiko clip like mad when I play it at decent levels through my JDS C5's bass boost.

I'm happy to say the ZO FS powered through it and a mix of trance and dupstep at a full level-32 bass SVT and even to a higher volume than I was comfortable with. This is easily the best bass I've heard out of them, and the cans continued to sound as detailed as ever.

DT-770 Pro-80

The DT-770 are known as quite capable when it comes to laying down heavy, detailed bass. When kept to low contour levels the ZO does very well with these, bringing out a wonderfully texture sub-bass without muddying the mids and highs at all. At higher contours levels it tends to get a little overwhelming.

More to come...

I'll be listening with my DT-880 600Ω tomorrow. After that, I'll do the Superlux 668b -- the ZO 2 turned them into a zen-like experience, so I'm really excited to hear the FS on them.

Music

Listening to a mix of electronic (thank you Monstercat 18), garage rock, and some rap were a dream with the ZO. The only music I'm not super happy with is heavily orchestral film scores, where some of the more subtle instruments tend to get overwhelmed by other ones.

Soundstage is somewhere between fully transparent and the ZO 2 -- not super wide, but also no longer troublingly condensed. I think at this point it may be more an effect of SVT than the components themselves. I could not hear any noise, but then I didn't expect to with either of these cans.

SVT

The bass SVT has the same unique effect as the 2.3, not just adding gain but seemingly extracting detail where there was none before. Unlike the 2.3, however, each level of SVT is much more perceptually linear -- where before you'd hear a lot of difference between levels 1-8 followed by a very slow ramp-up to 32, the ZO FS has a steady boost all the way up to 32.

You may have noticed I didn't touch on treble SVT when talking about the specific headphones. Treble SVT has turned out to be a bit of a wash with my music -- even up at 32 I have to listen very closely to hear a difference, so much that I had to measure with RMAA to confirm I wasn't just tricking myself. Perhaps MizMoxie or others can point out some songs that showcase it.

Hardware

Pictures do not do the aluminum case justice. It looks and feels great, and is not at all like the generic aluminum enclosures you find on so much of our gear.

The headphone jack is no longer recessed, which should lend itself to improved compatibility with fancy cables. In place of a Mini-B port, you now have a Micro-B port for charging which is a welcome change now that most phones are using that -- I always appreciate being able to lug one fewer cable.

They employ the same multi-function switch used in previous versions, again using the push button as a way of cycling between adjustments. It is no longer recessed, so pocket use might result in more accidental changes. As with the previous versions, using the switch takes a little bit of practice to find the right amount of pressure/speed between doing nothing and accidentally turning the device off.

The vivid OLED display improves usability significantly, giving a high level of detail to let you precisely tune your experience. Now that input capacity and multiple gain modes are a thing of the past, it presents with a simplicity that should "just work" for anyone.

I'm a little worried about the durability of the display which does not appear to be protected by any glass or plastic -- I definitely won't be letting it clang around in my laptop bag with anything hard enough to scratch it. I may try to find one of those little ipod screen protectors to cut up and place on the screen.

There are a lot of volume levels. Quite a lot. IEM users will appreciate the fine detail at the lower levels, while others will use the rapid-step option (hold the button down) to get up to the 100+ range. It's a good compromise.

Unless I'm forgetting something, the FS has resolved my entire wishlist. Once again DigiZoid has created a weird little gem of a product, but this time it's been perfected. It's no longer at "toy" levels of impulse-buying affordability, but then it no longer feels like a toy.

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #219 of 605
  Going to be giving each of my cans a full day with the ZO FS. Yesterday was Mr Speakers' Mad Dog w/ Alpha Pads, and today was Beyerdynamic's DT-770 Pro-80.

To start with, I'm driving the ZO FS through an ODAC, which provides a transparent 2Vrms line-out. The ZO FS handled this distortion-free. No more turning line volume down to 30%!

Mad Dog with Alpha Pads

As far as difficult-to-drive cans go, the planar Mad Dogs have a penchant for bringing amps to their knees when it comes to bass. As sort of an ultimate test, I played Bear McCreary's "Mandala in the Clouds", whose taiko clip like mad when I play it at decent levels through my JDS C5's bass boost.

I'm happy to say the ZO FS powered through it and a mix of trance and dupstep at a full level-32 bass SVT and even to a higher volume than I was comfortable with. This is easily the best bass I've heard out of them, and the cans continued to sound as detailed as ever.

DT-770 Pro-80

The DT-770 are known as quite capable when it comes to laying down heavy, detailed bass. When kept to low contour levels the ZO does very well with these, bringing out a wonderfully texture sub-bass without muddying the mids and highs at all. At higher contours levels it tends to get a little overwhelming.

More to come...

I'll be listening with my DT-880 600Ω tomorrow. After that, I'll do the Superlux 668b -- the ZO 2 turned them into a zen-like experience, so I'm really excited to hear the FS on them.

Music

Listening to a mix of electronic (thank you Monstercat 18), garage rock, and some rap were a dream with the ZO. The only music I'm not super happy with is heavily orchestral film scores, where some of the more subtle instruments tend to get overwhelmed by other ones.

Soundstage is somewhere between fully transparent and the ZO 2 -- not super wide, but also no longer troublingly condensed. I think at this point it may be more an effect of SVT than the components themselves. I could not hear any noise, but then I didn't expect to with either of these cans.

SVT

The bass SVT has the same unique effect as the 2.3, not just adding gain but seemingly extracting detail where there was none before. Unlike the 2.3, however, each level of SVT is much more perceptually linear -- where before you'd hear a lot of difference between levels 1-8 followed by a very slow ramp-up to 32, the ZO FS has a steady boost all the way up to 32.

You may have noticed I didn't touch on treble SVT when talking about the specific headphones. Treble SVT has turned out to be a bit of a wash with my music -- even up at 32 I have to listen very closely to hear a difference, so much that I had to measure with RMAA to confirm I wasn't just tricking myself. Perhaps MizMoxie or others can point out some songs that showcase it.

Hardware

Pictures do not do the aluminum case justice. It looks and feels great, and is not at all like the generic aluminum enclosures you find on so much of our gear.

The headphone jack is no longer recessed, which should lend itself to improved compatibility with fancy cables. In place of a Mini-B port, you now have a Micro-B port for charging which is a welcome change now that most phones are using that -- I always appreciate being able to lug one fewer cable.

They employ the same multi-function switch used in previous versions, again using the push button as a way of cycling between adjustments. It is no longer recessed, so pocket use might result in more accidental changes. As with the previous versions, using the switch takes a little bit of practice to find the right amount of pressure/speed between doing nothing and accidentally turning the device off.

The vivid OLED display improves usability significantly, giving a high level of detail to let you precisely tune your experience. Now that input capacity and multiple gain modes are a thing of the past, it presents with a simplicity that should "just work" for anyone.

I'm a little worried about the durability of the display which does not appear to be protected by any glass or plastic -- I definitely won't be letting it clang around in my laptop bag with anything hard enough to scratch it. I may try to find one of those little ipod screen protectors to cut up and place on the screen.

There are a lot of volume levels. Quite a lot. IEM users will appreciate the fine detail at the lower levels, while others will use the rapid-step option (hold the button down) to get up to the 100+ range. It's a good compromise.

Unless I'm forgetting something, the FS has resolved my entire wishlist. Once again DigiZoid has created a weird little gem of a product, but this time it's been perfected. It's no longer at "toy" levels of impulse-buying affordability, but then it no longer feels like a toy.

SOOO glad to hear you like it! When it comes to the treble, it (of course) depends on your headphone's frequency response in the treble range. However, I would like to recommend Imagine by Armin Van Buuren. Not only is this one of my all-time favorite tracks, I feel like it perfectly showcases SVT's capability. 

I would also like to mention that the treble is meant to be a little more subtle than the bass (i.e., fletcher-munson curves). :wink:

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #220 of 605

I would like to recommend Imagine by Armin Van Buuren. Not only is this one of my all-time favorite tracks, I feel like it perfectly showcases SVT's capability.

Yes, Imagine did it for me. It's still subtle but I can definitely pick it out on my DT-880.

I think it might partially be the number of steps -- it takes a while to get from level 0 to 32, and the change is very gradual. I guess those with a FS+ will have an easier time of A/Bing things. A nice software update (can these be flashed through USB?) would be a 4-step contour change when you hold down the rocker, similar to the volume change.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #221 of 605
This thing can't come fast enough, luckily I did pay for faster shipping to Finland. xD Hopefully also FS+ gets/got shipped now.

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #224 of 605
It's basically the same. The improvements are elsewhere.

I'd hate it to be the same because I personally prefer the ZO2.1's bass (more punchy/impactful/harder hitting) over ZO2.3 (softer, a bit more loose). :p Might be a case of some people not able to tell the difference and some might, anyway I have a ZO FS+ incoming so will judge for myself. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back