digiZoid ZO Contest: "What does music mean to you?"
Aug 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #46 of 77
Music is art. Music is an exploration of the human soul. It's an expression of ones state of mind. It can make you laugh.It can make you cry.It can make you scream of joy. It can take you to a place without right or wrong,place without ying and yang,a place where you explore a full range of human emotion.Music is life!

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #48 of 77

“What is music?” That’s like asking someone “What is love?” The truth is: the definition of it is different to everyone. At the same time, the definition of it is the same to everyone. Music is much like a double-edged sword. With it, you can take the road to self-improvement or self-destruction. Whichever road you take, at the end of it, you find what you had been looking for all this time: self-discovery.

You don’t just listen to music; granted, you can hear the music, but at the end of the day, we all know you’re supposed to live the music. Live the thunderous frustrations of the drums and cymbals, live the thrill of the lead guitar, live the outpour of passion of the voice, and live the music surrounding you. When you live in the music, you can sometimes lose yourself within it. Music, to quote the film Beautiful Girls (1996), “can make you feel dizzy, like you’ve been drinking jack and coke all morning. It can make you feel high, full of the greatest commodity known to man: Promise; promise of a better day; promise of a greater hope; promise of a new tomorrow.”

Sometimes, when you lose yourself in music, you don’t find promise. You find shattered hopes and dreams. Songs like You Were Right (Taking Back Sunday, 2011) can bring you to things that you’d like to forget: Losing a loved one, losing an opportunity, or losing yourself. Lyrics that speak like, “I made lots of money selling water as wine / you were there right behind me saying that’s all I could be” just serve as something that haunt and taunt you while you listen. You listen and listen, trying to lose yourself in the music and forget about the events that transpired, but the more you listen and listen, the more you remember as the words speak to your soul. Depending on how you wield this “double-edged sword,” you can take the road to self-improvement and accept it, or take the road to self-destruction and dwell in the past. Regardless of what road you take, you reach the same end goal: to truly understand and discover yourself.

Music doesn’t just speak to you; it swears. It is the poem for everyone’s souls: It is the aria of every unsung hero; the story of every forgotten legend; the voice of the everyman. For lack of a better term, it is music. With music, we all unite together. A young boy and an old man can both find pleasure in The Beatles. An American and a Japanese can both find digital nirvana while listening to Miku Hatsune. A man and a woman can both find love in Céline Dion. Indeed, music is the universal tie between all peoples. I have found solace in not just music alone, but in some of the people who are attracted to the music I listen to. Who would have thought that by playing Soco Amaretto Lime (Brand New, 2001) out loud, I would meet a girl who would come to be one of my best friends? I surely didn’t.

I can remember a time when I was captivated by the masterful piano playing of Billy Joel. In fact, I can remember how old I was as well. I was 6 years old when I was first played the timeless classic, Piano Man (Billy Joel, 1973). I was, and still am, awestruck at how he managed to sing those words he sang and play the piano and harmonica all at once. Yes, that song, “Piano Man,” is what got me to take up the piano.  To this very day, I still fondly think back to that song whenever my fingers dance along the keys of a piano and I find myself searching for my harmonica to play a certain jazzy tune.

After writing all of that, I still cannot give you a definite answer as to what music is. I guess the best way to put it would be that music is the forked road you take, following the river with your double-edged sword dangling at your side, at twilight. To self-improvement or to self-destruction, when the sun sets that day, you reach self-discovery at the sea. You discover promise and hope for a brighter future; you discover broken dreams that you tried to forget in the past; but most importantly, you discover who you are. You are not who you were in the past and you are not who you will be in the future. In fact, you are not the music or the bands you listen to, either.

You simply are, and music is the road you take to understand that you’re right where you belong.

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #49 of 77

Music is an escape.  A solution, if you will.  When I’m lost or alone, I have music to turn to.  Music carries more emotions than simple words or images could ever conceal.  Or if I’m happy, and need something to share my joy with, I have music.  For me, the music is about the connections you make.  You hear a song you haven’t listened to in years and the memories from that time in your life come rushing back in a variety of notes, pitches and tones.  Each song is an experience.  Full of experiences.  The writer of the song creates the music with his own idea behind it.  When you hear it, you connect it with a feeling.  Everyone associates The Song with something of their own.  That Song holds a part of every person who has listened to it.  Part of your soul is in That Song, and when you hear it again, it’s a reconnection.  And listening to That Song in a room full of people, knowing that maybe That Song is the only thing you have in common, is beautiful.  Because The Song means something different to everyone and you can all revel in your life, right there, together. 
                If you cut Life itself open, it would bleed music.  It would pour out the souls of everything Life has ever encompassed in the form of song.  And that’s what music is.  In the bigger picture, it’s the blood, the soul of life.  But to every person in their own singularity, it’s their feelings, thoughts and ideas.

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #50 of 77
Pure audial bliss. But much more. Music is woven into our society on a myriad of levels; we depend on music. For entertainment, comfort, an escape, joy, and it reflects itself in the mirror of our world. Music is an entity. An ever growing one that feeds on human emotion. Music is and always will be an important part of our lives, and for that, there will always be a time where we will stop and ask, what is music? The answer, as with all unanswerable things, lies deep within the self, in a place only you can find, but in a form inadequately described through words.

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #51 of 77
What does music mean to me?  Simple.

Music is spiritual transparency.  It's about tuning one's soul to the natural rythyms of the universe and finding the inner resolution of being.

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #54 of 77
Heya,

To appreciate and feel harmonics and rhythm is to know me. If mathematics is the language of the universe, music is the emotion of the universe. Music is something that spans time and space. We project it from Earth and we also listen daily for frequencies to bounce back at us. We record it on discs and send them out attached to our satellites with instructions on how to listen to the discs (Voyager series). Music is a cultural universal, but also exists outside of humans and we even copy it often times and make it our own. Everything that can create a rhythm or have frequencies occur in harmonic steps will instantly be recognized as music. Even radiation and wind can generate music. It's like listening to the secrets. If everything ended, we would still have our music around the camp fire. And when the Earth is gone, our music will still be traveling the cosmos, reflecting, refracting and eventually touching something or someone.

Music means to feel. For some, music is why they were even conceived. For others, it's a medicine.  Some frequencies generate different feelings for people. Music literally dictates an emotion and it's universal. It can cause fear, it can make you want to just relax and loosen up, and it can drive you to want to hulk out, and it can generate a mood that inspires love. A harmonic step or a slow crescendo can be the difference between fight or flight.

It really brings people together. Ever noticed the phenomenon where music starts up and a lot of people just start singing or dancing to it? They all just remembered how good it feels and they all become one, just because of a little music. It's that stream of emotion, energy and consciousness.  Music is an adhesive, a bond, and it doesn't matter what language you speak or what country you're from.

Very best,

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #55 of 77
Music is the aural expression of ones soul.

The art and science of producing beauty of form, harmony and emotion through sound.

Love.

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #57 of 77
Hola ppl 
atsmile.gif

Music is like Life, but there is only one life and a lot of M-U-S-I-C 
confused.gif

so never stop listening
L3000.gif

me say
cheers
beerchug.gif

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #59 of 77
Music is a beautiful force that penetrates even the hardest rocks of the soul and is the solid building blocks of life.. She gently touches the heart, gives the eyes a new perspective, heals pain and gives a powerful motivation. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #60 of 77
 Music is amazing, because music is EVERYTHING. As I type this right now, the tapping on the keyboard is forming a beat. There's a slight hum coming from the refrigerator. My brother is whistling and there are countless little noises all around me. Life is a song, and songs are music. Music embraces everyone, understands everyone, and everyone understands music. There's no way you can't. If you hear a minor chord on a guitar, it SOUNDS depressing, and can make us feel depressed. That is the power of music. it's emotion, and instinct. Can anyone explain why that minor chord makes us sad? No, but everyone can, on an emotional level, understand it. That's why sometimes, when words can't help us or words can't say it, we turn to music.

When i get behind my drum kit, I don't have a perfectly planned performance, music comes to me as instinct, and it comes to everyone as instinct in different ways.

Music can be love, it can be death. I can get myself wrapped up in a melody or be motivated by a strong beat. Music binds people together. It can cause relationships, end relationships, make people forget what they're doing and just act stupid with their friends. Music is RAW emotion, and it's also an energy that can be used. and understood, on so many spiritual, technical, and celestial levels.

Just think... What would you do without Music? If you were sad, and you needed uplifting, you would turn to Music, would you? Or as a creative outlet, Music? Because music has the power to do ANYTHING.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back