It's my Rejoice

Universal, Enigmatic.
Lyrical, Cryptic.
Lustful, Beatnic.

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #33 of 77
Music = delicious eargasms  
basshead.gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #34 of 77
What does music mean to me? Okay, I’ll give something other than a technical description because I’m not really great at explaining things. Well put simply, music means everything to me. I really have no idea where I’d be, or even if I would be, if I didn’t get into music. If I may get into a nice back story, I didn’t really listen to music much until I picked the saxophone up. I took roughly 5 years of piano, but I never really “felt” music until I picked the saxophone up. It was a bit hard to play at first, but even with my first note, I literally felt engaged with the sound. I can make anything I want (within reason) with just a puff of air, and I loved it. I've been a bit lax in practicing lately though. I should change that. 

However, even with my new-found love of music in general, listening to recorded music was seldom done until sixth grade. I got introduced to metal like Tool, and even though Tool is a very…strange band for a 12 year old to listen to, I loved it. I rocked out, and wanted more. I always had strange urges to freak out and, well, end it all in a terrible way involving other people. I never understood why, since I have friends, a great family, and an awesome life in general, so I always pushed it aside as nothing, and music made it a lot easier to forget about it.

Fast forward a couple years and I met the person that’s probably made the biggest impact in my life, mostly because that’s just as insane as me. We connected through our similar music preferences, and have been friends ever since. Little did I know that it was because of the fact that I was able to connect with her, with music as a catalyst, I ended up saving her one night while I was showing her new music to listen to. I never did have the courage to tell her the same. The thoughts still come around, but much less so after meeting her, and circling back, if it wasn’t for music, I’d have one less friend in the world, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

So, there’s the explanation of “or even if I would be.” But music has done much more than help with “teenage angst.” Like most, I recently found out that music, especially bassy electronic music (so…the ZO would be pretty awesome for me), gives me the concentration power of, from what I’ve heard, Adderal. I honestly stopped trying in school as much freshman year. It’s not that I didn’t care, but I was stressed out by other outside sources and couldn’t concentrate. Like most Head-Fiers, I tried listening to music (well, rock), and it didn’t help. A year later, I realized that I concentrate on the lyrics more than my work, so I figured that if I listen to non-lyrical electronic, it would help. Lo and behold, it did. The stress problem still hasn’t been solved, but now that I’ve found electronic music to help me concentrate, I can finally get my grade past a 4.0 (we go on a 5 point scale) so I can get into a nice biomed college (looking at U of Illinois and U of Minnesota along), and hopefully help me be able to fulfill my dream of creating mechanical prosthetics (I’ve always felt terrible that some people can’t do things like walk or listen to music, and I want that to change).

The collecting of music has been something I consider myself to be proud of too. It gives me a strange sense of pride to know that I have enough music to listen to for the length of being stranded in a desert island for a month. The different genres, even the different music from different countries within a genre, show me how incredibly diverse the world is—enough to make me want to travel the world just to hear music. I hope to do that eventually.

Being a Head-Fier has changed me more that I’d think too. I started just wanting some nice IEM’s for my phone, and end up being a full fledged member because, well, it’s a really interesting place here. Sure, we’re not all friends—some hate each other more than others, some are Grado lovers, some love AT, but the collective group ends up being quite entertaining, and I’m glad I found this place. Oddly enough, being here has helped my wit and I’m a more fun person to talk to because of it, as much as I hate to admit that I’m interesting because I belong to a group of headphone geeks.

…so yeah. In my life, music has helped save a life, hopefully give people a better life, and expose me to culture. I didn’t really know how to word this in “only” 1000 words, so I left out too many details. I have roughly 150 words left, but that just isn’t enough. I‘ll just make it easy and say that put simply, if it wasn’t for music changing my life, I’d probably be in a mental hospital right now or something worse. Music means absolutely everything to me.

Headphones and kisses,
-Kyle.

I do think that very few people will read all the posts in this thread though...

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #35 of 77
To me, even though I am not a musician what-so-ever, music is an expression of self. Whether I feel sad, happy, alone, great or even drunk, it always gets my mood up at least one notch. It's something that can unite people from across the world, who do not speak the same language. It doesn't matter if you're black or white, blue or yellow, the one thing we all (well, almost all) have in common is a love for music. Whether it be strong or weak, every single one of us has some sort of love for music. 
Music has helped me through the hardest parts of my life, and enhanced the greatest parts. In fact, moments ago, Wonderwall by Oasis has taken me from tears and agony to actually sitting here, posting this, smiling.

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #36 of 77
Music is a form of expression, a method in which an artist makes a connection or convey his emotions to the audience.

For me music is a source of release, being transported into the artist(s) and for awhile, live their journey and/or emotions. Helps me unwind after a long day or entertain me in my free time. They're also sort of a partner, accompanying me through times both joyful and painful! There are happy tunes, there are sad tunes, a song for any occasion.

Right now, music is more important than ever!! Music from headphones that is!! The girlfriend whom I share a room with is doing her CFA and because of that my speakers are mostly now redundant. As too much gaming on indeed just typing on the keyboard is a distraction apparently, I've resorted to spending my evenings listening to songs, discovering new songs and re-listening to old song with each new piece of hardware I obtain.

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #37 of 77
Music is a particular form of self-expression. When I find a piece of music that says something to me, I feel renewed, transformed, better. The kind of internal excitement generated by such "found" music just cannot be had elsewhere. It is a very personal euphoric experience. I think that very personal experience is one of the reasons why I enjoy headphones so much.

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #39 of 77
Music to me is a way of life, an art form, self expression, emotion, and my life line.

Without music, I wouldn't be a DJ and as well as who I am today.

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #40 of 77
Music is the soul of society. The undying and forever-mainstream art that conveys all forms of emotion into a universal "language".

From the weight of bass, the smoothness of mids, and the zing of treble, music is ever-changing, free as an eagle, yet remains elegant as a swan no matter what genre is on.
The world revolves around sound; without it, we are dead machines. Music remains a big part of my life, my lifestyle, and shall always do so 'till the day my ears fail me.

Aug 18, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #41 of 77
C'mon people vote! I just voted for 3 people. I don't care if this lowers my chances of winning, they're amazing stories.

EDIT: Oh hey...4 weeks from the post date is my birthday (September 14).

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #43 of 77
C'mon people vote! I just voted for 3 people. I don't care if this lowers my chances of winning, they're amazing stories.

EDIT: Oh hey...4 weeks from the post date is my birthday (September 14).

There should be a posting rule that states if you post in this thread you have to vote or your entry will be null and void.

Might help.

Aug 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #44 of 77
what does music mean to me?

Music is like my life, something that I need to get me move around in my daily activities. Without music, life would be a mistake. 

To me, no matter how busy I am or how stressful a situation can be, so long i put on my earphone and on my ipod, i will soon find myself indulge in my own playlist of music. 

Thus, to sum it up, without music, Life would be a mistake!

Aug 20, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #45 of 77
Music is another reality. It's an escape that allows me to stay present. It's a paradise in the form of authenticity. With music, there's no need to alter real life perceptions.
There are really no words to describe the complete tranquility music can bring to my soul. Only in the form of more music can I portray the happiness it brings to me.
Music is a means of understanding emotion and technicality through a universal language of different interpretations. Music is everything I am not, but inspires me to pursue brilliance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back