digiZoid ZO Contest: "What does music mean to you?"
Aug 16, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #16 of 77
Think of the times you felt an emotion but were not able to put that feeling into words. You can dig into your collection of music and find an orchestration of sounds which expresses your feelings perfectly. These sounds can be violins, pianos, drums, synthesizers, electric guitars, turntables, and voices. It's just amazing when these things come together in such a way to show you the depths of the universe while you are standing in one place. Have you heard Chris Cornell play "Black Hole Sun" in concert, solo acoustic? A voice and one acoustic guitar which travel side-by-side and hypnotize a huge room full of people and take us to a world we barely knew existed. I don't even know what that song is about, but to hear that voice, full of thunder and lightning surrounded by raindrop arpreggios, I am sure that it doesn't matter what it means to me. It probably means something entirely different to the guy next to me, and yet something else to Chris Cornell. This is the essence of music - when the emotion you were looking for fills up the space around yourself, even if it is different from what the artist feels when he is pouring it out from his vocal chords and his fingers.

Why was this performance of "Black Hole Sun" 5 years ago just as intense as when I saw all of Soundgarden release their hurricanes/riots in the streets/alien invasion onslaught of "Jesus Christ Pose" I witnessed 3 and a half weeks ago? Am I prepared to feel something entirely different the next time I hear each of these songs?

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #17 of 77
Bill and Ted were right.

"We've been to the past...we've been to the future.  We've been all around the after life.  The best place to be is here, the best time to be, is now.  And all we can say is...

LETS ROCK!!!!

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #18 of 77
music to me hmmm id say it was my partner thru life, ever since i was a kid id be listening to music on my radio. Id wait each year for the top 100 songs countdown to hear if my fav won. As i got older id have my music take me to work, come home with me after work and finally rock me to sleep. What more could you want.... and when i finally die, im going to ask them to bury me with my ipod turned on to my favorite playlist!!

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #20 of 77
Music is the penultimate expression of a man's feelings. There are always cases in life, where the only way you can describe how you can feel, is through music. Music is the most powerful emotion. So powerful, that a  song can completely change your mood and your thoughts. Music is an art in a unique way, where the eyes are not the judge, but the ears. Music is the soul that fills the passion of every man. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #21 of 77
Music is a part of me and my life. I am an avid musician and I have been listening too music for as long as I can remember. 
Music brings me into a state of relaxation and warmth. 
To me, music is part of what makes living actually living, not just surviving. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #22 of 77
Music to me is a retreat, a place I can go to be alone.  I go there at home at the end of a long day, I get to go there when I need to figure out and focus on something technical at work.  Grocery shopping is a challenge to me due to AutismSpectrumDisorder, I'm an aspie.  Music provides a safety net/bubble so I can get through my list without being overwhelmed by the sounds around me, I only have to deal with the visual challenge of shelves filled with colors and choices.  Music is a way to connect to composers that lived long before me, connect to the conductors interpreting their music, and the a slice of the experience that was presented to the audience.  Ambient music gives me a slow soundscape that enables me to watch the world from a safe distance when anxiety and fear overcome me in large crowds.  The flow of my life is musical, sounds, squawks, and chirps, become music.  Music helps me connect with my autistic son and enables me to express myself to my two step-daughters.  "Everything is musical" -Bjork

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #23 of 77
[size=medium]Music is the soundtrack of your life - at least it has been for mine. I first became aware of what music can do when I fell in love with the soundtrack for Star Wars the year it came out. I think I was around 9 years old when I asked my parents to buy the double LP album for me. I spent hours re-enacting scenes from the movie with the soundtrack playing away loudly on a very cheap portable record player. From that time on I was hooked and music was no longer something in the background, it accompanied me and was an integral aspect of any experience I had that could be combined with music. I can remember playing the drums to the Chain by Fleetwood Mac with pencils as my sticks, and pillows as my drum set.[/size]

[size=medium]Music was just so engaging that I became lost in, but it never dominated my experiences it just became part of them. As a teenager my father purchased some really decent audio components and my brother and I began to really embrace music. We both reveled in discovering new bands and music and would talk about music with anybody who would listen. We moved from the city into a small town and quickly became the guys who made mixed tapes for all of our friends. Music was so important that we tried to share our love of it with everybody. In the early 80s my brother purchased a pair of really nice Sony headphones launching my lifelong love of this enclosed experience. We had a few friends who would spend hours with us taking turns listening to the headphones.[/size]

[size=medium]My brother and I moved back into the city together sharing an apartment together. As always, we entertained and as always, music was always hugely important to us. Days before any gathering we would purchase blank tapes and plan our mixes. I would design the music based on the point in the evening at which it would be played. For both my brother and I, we would revel as we watched people really reacting to the atmosphere that the music created. Our friends would give us high-fives and shout with enthusiasm when killer tune after tune was blended into the night. After almost every party we would give away our mixes to friends so that they could continue to enjoy the music in their lives. We had hundreds of CDs and records from which to make mixes and friends would often “commission” us to make mixes for their parties. Some of our oldest friends still keep some of these mixes and when we get together they will take them out to show us that they kept them.[/size]

[size=medium]We didn’t do this to make people like what we liked, or to impress people, we just loved music so much for everything it could do that we had to share it. Nothing has changed. Today when we have company there will always be music in the air, now perhaps it will be jazz or world music where once it was Black Sabbath and Motley Crue and I still give away my mixes to friends. I can’t explain how or why music affects me so much, I’m just glad it does. My 6 year old daughter has been brought up around my very diverse musical taste and has turned into a gifted little musician already. Music helped me make friends; it helped me find myself when things were complicated and I had no idea what the heck was going on. If I was alone and bumming there was always something to experience in music, always something I could learn by listening to the words and emotions that artists shared through their music. When my wife was in the hospital I was bussing back and forth from our home listening to my iPod. Those wonderful emotions that can only be experienced when you are awaiting the first time you will see your child can be recalled so vividly whenever I play this mix, which I saved of course. Only music can take you back in time so profoundly.[/size]

[size=11pt]As I became more aware of political and social struggles music became a vehicle by which I could connect with what other people were experiencing. When I think about the civil rights struggle in the US I can hear the early forms of jazz and blues and I will find myself enveloped in the sadness and hope that emanated from much of the work. Music has always been, and will always be for me a conduit to experience and feeling. Music is art, music is history, music is people. I owe much of who I think I am to music and I will always cherish music.[/size]

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #24 of 77
You know guys, we can't not vote for somebody just because we want win., so far only 1 person has got 1 vote and that was a vote from me .

May the best man win
beerchug.gif

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #25 of 77

Music, in reality, is not connected to anything. Even if it is connected, then vaguely, without intent, just mechanically, just an empty sound, without associations. And yet, music, by some miracle, penetrates the very soul. 

What is it that resonates within us to answer to the harmony of noise? And what turns it into a source that grants us great pleasure? That unites us? That awes us?

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #26 of 77
music, to me, is much more than just rhythm and melody. when i listen to a song for the first time, my mind links that song with how i felt at that particular moment. then when i come back to that song in the future,   it somehow makes me feel the way i did when i first heard that song. i get some fantastic feelings of nostalgia when listening to some songs. for instance when i hear eric johnson's cliffs of dover, it reminds me of learning to play guitar back in highschool. when i hear bob dylans the times they are a changing, it brings me back to fly fishing the streams of upstate new york with my father. 

when i feel bummed out about something i listen to some tunes and remember how great life can be, and i just feel better. in my opinion (and im sure in many of yours), music is one of the most important joys in life.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #27 of 77
Container.
Container for messages.
Container for emotions.
Container for stories.
Container for memories.
Container for remedies.
just..open it

doubt how many will actually read all these posts and vote ==

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #28 of 77
Good music is fulfillment. Life is nothing but a constant search for finding things that satisfy you, fulfill you. All this mad search for the best audio gear is to find a point where you forget about (finding faults with) the gear and listen to music. In a way, music is nothing but one of the best fillers of the vacant/empty spaces of our mind (that we could not fill on our own).

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #29 of 77
Music to me is like the air we breathe, food we eat and water we drink to survive, only it is for the soul.

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #30 of 77
Music is many things, to many people.

Music can be a mirror - In which we can hold up to ourselves as individuals or as a species and reflect upon where we have come from, where we are now, and
where we hope to be in the future.

Music is a voice for our souls, which allows us to express those things that cannot be expressed in written words alone.

Music is a collection of feelings expressed in such a way to invoke emotions deep inside of us, so we may SHARE those emotions collectively with either a few
people or a whole auditorium full of us simultaneously .

Music, is a soft whisper, or a tender breath that can just barely be heard, making the delivery of the message as important as the message itself.

But most of all, music is my hot,hot sex. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back