Digital static fading in and out with Fiio E7/E9
Feb 28, 2011 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Styles

Head-Fier
I just got my new Fiio E7/E9 combo.  I plan to use the E7 at work on my PC for music and on the go with my iPhone, and the E9 at home for gaming on Xbox.  When i received them today at work I hooked both up in the E7 docked to the E9 via USB to my PC.  It has very bad static that fades in and out.  I then hooked the E7 up by itself and it has the same problem.  I switched to a different USB port, same thing, no change.  I hooked it up via line in with a 3.5 to 3.5 cable and it works fine.  What do I need to change with my PC to fix this? :frowning2:

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 12
Something with your PC it seems. Did the E7 install correctly to your PC? Are you sure the sound is set to USB DAC when the E7 is plugged in?

Also, you might wanna take it to a friend's house or another computer to make sure the problem isn't the E7, but maybe it didn't install correctly.

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Something with your PC it seems. Did the E7 install correctly to your PC? Are you sure the sound is set to USB DAC when the E7 is plugged in?

Also, you might wanna take it to a friend's house or another computer to make sure the problem isn't the E7, but maybe it didn't install correctly.

MLE,

As far as I know it "installed" correctly.  I'm on Vista Business at work and when I plugged it in the only thing that came up was that it recognized my new USB device.  I'm new to all this and I'm not sure if there is somewhere i need to go make sure as you say that the sound is set to USB DAC? I will look in what ever audio settings on the PC.  I have a work laptop on Windows 7 and Ill try that as a test and I can test it at home on a couple others.  Is there an installation procedure? The instructions ,as you know, are pretty light and do not go into detail about specific PC settings?

Thanks!

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 12
Yeah, right click on the sound icon and go to Playback Devices. Make sure it's set to USB DAC.

AFAIK, the E7 just self installs and then should automatically start working as long as you set the device handling the sound properties to be the USB DAC. Some people have installed it but the computer didn't immediately go to the USB DAC until they manually set it to do so.

Keep us posted.

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 12

Yeah as you posted I found the settings and it did set itself as the default (pic below). Ive done a reboot and manually set the play back device to be the USB DAC and still the same static even when I do the play sound test of chimes in the play back device settings. Ill test it now on my laptop and update.

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 12
Tried it on my laptop and it works great!... bleh i don't know what to do with this desk top.  I can't submit a ticket to IT to look at this as they would prolly get mad. Any other PC guru's out there have any ideas on what to test, change or look for?

Thanks!

BTW, Sonic Atrocity, I would get one of these.  Pretty sick for the price.

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 12
I figured it was your desktop. Maybe you can try manually uninstalling all the drivers that the Fiio E7 installed and letting it reinstall again. If that doesn't work, something's just wrong with your desktop. :frowning2:

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #9 of 12
I figured it was your desktop. Maybe you can try manually uninstalling all the drivers that the Fiio E7 installed and letting it reinstall again. If that doesn't work, something's just wrong with your desktop. :frowning2:

FIXED!!!

I don't know why but here's the deal. I have 4 or 5 USB devices plugged into this thing, including a powered USB cable that goes up to my monitors for their USB ports. I plugged the DAC into the USB port on one of the monitors and it works great. Hope this helps someone else later down the road.

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
FIXED!!!

I don't know why but here's the deal. I have 4 or 5 USB devices plugged into this thing, including a powered USB cable that goes up to my monitors for their USB ports. I plugged the DAC into the USB port on one of the monitors and it works great. Hope this helps someone else later down the road.

Sometimes desktops USB slots are not as well made, since there are other slots on the motherboard for expansion while for laptops USB is usually is the only solution. I suspect your desktop has a lot more electrical interference than your laptop, which is not surprising due to their designs. 

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #12 of 12
I have this problem once in a while with my iMac. It's not like a pronounced sound but its there and kind of annoying. I tried everything, switching usb ports, unplugging replugging, things on OSX. But it really has a mind of its own, One minute I can hear the static on mute and then its goes away like 20 minutes later, then back the next day. It's just always random, sometimes there, sometimes not. I mean its not like completely ruining my listening experience, it doesn't really ruin the SQ, just I know its there when music isn't playing. And a little more pronounced with high gain on because I run DT990/600. I think its the E7 because the static is almost non-extent with the E9 on and the E7 removed, not docked. It's not a complete problem just know the static is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back