Digital SLR
Mar 14, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #31 of 217
I would skip the kit lens and get one of the 18-200mm lenses. I have the Sigma 18-200m and I am pleased with the flexibility. I actually bought a "cheap" 70-300mm Quantaray right after I got my 20D to use as a compliment to the kit lens and rarely touched the kit lens again after I had it in my bag.

Here are a couple links to a few shots I have taken with the Quantaray and the Sigma.

Sigma 18-200mm

Quant 70-300mm

Good luck!

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #32 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By "full-crop" I didn't mean full-frame. Or APC-S.

Ah.

Quote:

I meant that the kit lens shouldn't be used for VIEWING images at 100%.

I don't normally view 8MP images from any lens at 100%, but it's a good way to assess image quality. Being able to assess image quality is important if you plan on printing photos large, selling your photos, or improving your technique.

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #33 of 217
Quote:

By "full-crop" I didn't mean full-frame. Or APC-S. I meant that the kit lens shouldn't be used for VIEWING images at 100%.

well he does say this
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't plan on doing anything that requires high quality images (making large prints), that lens would be fine. But it just bothered me to have the lens, not the sensor be the limiting factor in image quality.

Which is a valid point.

Go with Canon or Nikon for the best choice of lenses (Canon if you need higher ISO because I believe they have a much better noise reduction process).
Don't look at the D40(x) series.

Don't be afraid to buy used equipment.

www.bhphotovideo.com is your friend.

Read before you buy and as your first pictures make sure they are of objects outside of the house and have some thought behind them rather than the typical "HAY GUYS LOOK AT MY SWEET NEW PICS FROM MY DSLR"

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #34 of 217
I came from an h5 ( your same battelground
smily_headphones1.gif
) and now I'm getting a Nikon d70s.
www.Pbase.com can help the choice !

Mar 14, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #35 of 217
Quote:

I don't normally view 8MP images from any lens at 100%, but it's a good way to assess image quality. Being able to assess image quality is important if you plan on printing photos large, selling your photos, or improving your technique.

Tru dat! The Canon 100mm macro and the Sigma 10-20 I have now are tack sharp at 100%. The 50/1.8 can perform a bit better at f/1.8, but for $80 it is nothing short of magic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #36 of 217
Quote:

Tru dat! The Canon 100mm macro and the Sigma 10-20 I have now are tack sharp at 100%. The 50/1.8 can perform a bit better at f/1.8, but for $80 it is nothing short of magic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, the 100mm macro is great, probably my favorite lens.

Mar 14, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #37 of 217
I am tempted to get a DSLR. But my only two digital cameras have been compact point-and-shoots with some manual controls (a Kodak DX6440 and a Canon A540). However, I want better picture quality, but don't want additional lenses for the foreseeable future (which means that I don't really need lens interchangeability). Is a super-zoom camera (with an SLR-style viewfinder, but with a fixed long-range zoom lens) a good compromise? Or should I not stop there, and instead go all the way to a consumer-level DSLR?

Mar 14, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #38 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is a super-zoom camera (with an SLR-style viewfinder, but with a fixed long-range zoom lens) a good compromise?

If you go with a super-zoom, just make sure the sensor isn't tiny, or else you won't have much, if any, of an improvement in image quality over the low end point and shoot cameras.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...ensor-size.htm

Mar 14, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #39 of 217
Quote:

If you go with a super-zoom, just make sure the sensor isn't tiny, or else you won't have much, if any, of an improvement in image quality over the low end point and shoot cameras.

Gosh darn it.

I've looked at the specs of the moderately-priced (under $500) super-zooms that I was considering, and found out that they all use 1/2.5" sensors - the same tiny size as those found in most point-and-shoots. The only advantage to those particular super-zooms is their relatively large lens apertures compared to those found in point-and-shoots. At the $350 to $500 prices (retail) that they go for, they're no bargain - especially since an entry-level DSLR which uses an APS-C sized sensor costs $100 to $200 more (with a basic 18-55mm kit zoom lens) than the upper end of the super-zoom price range.

Mar 14, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #40 of 217
Is money an issue? (well of course it's always an issue, but I mean do you mind to spend a bit more?)

If you just want a zoom-and-that's-it DSLR, I think you can get away with Nikon D40 teamed with 18-200 VR.
Of course if you don't mind that the size is more like a prosumer P&S instead of like DSLR.

Mar 14, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #41 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is money an issue? (well of course it's always an issue, but I mean do you mind to spend a bit more?)

If you just want a zoom-and-that's-it DSLR, I think you can get away with Nikon D40 teamed with 18-200 VR.
Of course if you don't mind that the size is more like a prosumer P&S instead of like DSLR.

Actually, in the US the (6.1-megapixel) D40 is sold only with the 18-55. The D40 isn't sold as body-only or with any other lens. Also, since the D40 body does not have an autofocus motor, I would have to manually focus even an AF lens which does not have a built-in motor. (The D40 should not be confused with the D40x, which is essentially a 10.2-megapixel version of the D40.)

Mar 14, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #42 of 217
Yeah, there is no body-only version of D40, but you can always dump the lens on eBay and finance the 18-200mm.
I was thinking since you mentioned you're not gonna take the lens off, then since 18-200mm is AF-S, then you won't have any issue with the lack of motor.

PS: I forgot one thing, but the combo might be a bit heavy on the front size due to the size of the lens and the small size of the camera.

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #43 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, there is no body-only version of D40, but you can always dump the lens on eBay and finance the 18-200mm.
I was thinking since you mentioned you're not gonna take the lens off, then since 18-200mm is AF-S, then you won't have any issue with the lack of motor.

PS: I forgot one thing, but the combo might be a bit heavy on the front size due to the size of the lens and the small size of the camera.

The combo would be quite nose-heavy, in this case. However, I don't need any focal length above about 100mm. Perhaps I should get a body-only version of the next model up (D40x or D80) and something a bit more versatile than the 18-55mm kit lens?

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #45 of 217
That's an oddly shaped plate you're using. =T Or is that lense distortion (am I using the correct term?)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back