Digital SLR
Mar 8, 2007 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 217

panik343

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm currently using a Canon Powershot S3 IS. Im very pleased with it, but looking at some of the pictures on the photography threads I'm realizing the fine line between "advanced point and shoot" and DSLR. Does anyone have any good suggestions? From what I was able to gather from other threads around here the Canon and Nikkon are generally good brands. I appreciate your help.

Mar 8, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 217
Check out http://dpreview.com/ if you haven't already.

Really, seems like there are lots of great entry level DSLR right now. In addition to Nikon and Canon, don't overlook Pentax or Sony or Olympus.

Nothing beats research and going to a store and seeing how it feels in your hands... how much you like the viewfinder... snapping a few shots.

Best regards,

-Jason

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 217
Just to give you some help, here are some intro DSLR (and a few not-so-intro) you should look into

Nikon D40
Nikon D80
Canon Rebel XTi (aka 400D)
Canon Rebel XT (aka 350D)
Pentax K10D
Sony DSLR-A100

Not so intro (but still fun to look at and consider!
biggrin.gif
)
Nikon D200
Canon 5D
Canon 30D

I'm not familiar with Olympus much, other than their 4/3rds systems, so don't know what they consider their entry level DSLR. Also don't forget there are some (at least I think) pretty darned nice prosumer non-DSLR cameras that might do it for you, like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50.

Also most of these models have slightly older, no longer "top of the line" but still takes great pictures models, that might be great pick-ups used.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 217
Maybe you could answer my question. Ive looked on review sites, but I still cant establish the difference between the Canon Rebel XT and XTI, is one better for ceartain things?

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 217
XT has 8 megapixels, XTi has 10 megapixels. XTi has a bigger LCD screen on the back, but no separate status screen. I don't know if there were any major controls or photographic tools that are different between the two - I don't suspect there were any that were too impt... there may be other smaller differences, such as the sound the shutter makes, the viewfinder (this actually can be impt) but I'm not sure as I haven't shot with an XT myself.

In the grand scheme of things, if you really want to do things on the cheap, I don't see why you wouldn't go with the XT over the XTi. Personally, I got the XTi because I liked the bigger LCD screen and the cash difference wasn't that huge of a deal.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 8, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by panik343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I'm currently using a Canon Powershot S3 IS. Im very pleased with it, but looking at some of the pictures on the photography threads I'm realizing the fine line between "advanced point and shoot" and DSLR. Does anyone have any good suggestions? From what I was able to gather from other threads around here the Canon and Nikkon are generally good brands. I appreciate your help.

If you just want to try the DSLR, I would suggest a used Digital Rebel and load the "Russian" firmware to mimic the capability of the 10D. You can save the rest of the dough for the lenses.

If you're on budget constrain, you can start with a standard 28mm, which is about 50mm equivalent to full-frame. This lens is a very good learning tool which you can use to grasp the importance of framing and perspective. The 50mm/1.8 is another good low cost addition for low light situation.

If you are ready to spend, I would suggest the following:

Canon 30D - The entry level of professional, and lenses:

1. 50mm/1.4 USM - Good brokeh and about 80mm in full-frame equivalence. Excellent for close range portraits.
2. 17-40mm/4.0 L - Good all-around lens.
3. 70-200mm/4.0 L - Good all-around tele. excellent for long range portraits.

Since you're not making a living with photography, I would not mention anything in the professional class.

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 217
lenses > camera

Just for the record.

Mar 12, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 217
Hey I have a rebel xt on the way. Thanks for all who helped me find those sites for research. One more question though. My neighbor gave me a lens that was used awhile ago its a Konica 70-210mm F3.9 lens. Do you think that this will work on the rebel when it comes?

Mar 12, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #12 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by panik343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey I have a rebel xt on the way. Thanks for all who helped me find those sites for research. One more question though. My neighbor gave me a lens that was used awhile ago its a Konica 70-210mm F3.9 lens. Do you think that this will work on the rebel when it comes?

No. I don't know if there is an adapter mount, but I doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back