Digital Recorder-Fi
Jul 16, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #31 of 42
Jalo,
Since I'm just using my d50 for recording and monitoring purposes, it's kind of hard to compare to my DAP, which is a Sony NW-HD5. I can say that the line-out is incredibly clean. However, this device is really made for recording, and you're really going to be paying for all the recording features and technology - hence the relatively (to daps) high price tag. But, if you're set on getting it as a music player for high resolution/24 bit files, I'm sure it'll also sound great for that.

Jul 16, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #32 of 42
MatsudaMan, thanks for your input. Yes, I understand that the d50 is a recording device but anytime when we as headfiers has a chance to get good sq from a device its always welcome, right?

Jul 16, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #33 of 42
I'll transfer some music files over to the d50 and then compare to how it sounds on the DAP.

Sep 19, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #35 of 42
Have a MZ-RH1.

Sony_MZRH1_1.jpg

Fits all my needs and more. Mic's gonna be: AT822.

Sep 19, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #36 of 42
I bought a Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2 Wearable Binaural microphones.

Tried them with my iRiver HP-120 with Rockbox. Really have to crank the recording gain, as the mics are not very efficient. I may have to get an amp for the mics. Just for fun I tried a portable headphone amp with the mics, but I guess they just don't work that way.

-Ed

Sep 19, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #37 of 42
Interesting that you got the SP-TFB-2. I just got the Microphone Madness BSM-8. I use a Zoom H2.

Can you post some examples? I want to hear other DIY cheap binaural samples.

Sep 19, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #38 of 42
DM100 Microphone on my Canon HF100
2008-05-21 Phoebe Patio Play on Vimeo

SP-TFB-2 Binaural track swapped into footage from my Canon HF100
Binaural Audio Test 01 on Vimeo

They were recorded on different days. The Binaural one is a less windy and quieter day in general, but you can still hear how noisy the preamp is in my HF100, but you already knew that.
wink.gif

-Ed

Sep 19, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #39 of 42
The binaural track sounds all right. I didn't think it was too noisy. There was some sense of direction. Detail was a little on the low side though but that could be because of the chain and not the mics themselves so it's hard to say.

Sep 21, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #40 of 42
Wow! I can't believe I've not seen this thread until now. I bought an Olympus LS-10 a few months ago and I like it very much. The mic preamps are extremely quiet and the built in mics aren't too bad. They're a little hot around 8k, and have a roll off below 70Hz, but both issues can be corrected in post. I also have an Audio Technica AT822 for an external mic.

Overall this little Oly has been described as the Nagra from the Far East, and I agree. 24/96, fits in your shirt pocket, equiv. input noise of mic preamps at -121dB, A weighted, -119dB unweighted, 20-20k. The real dynamic range capability at (16bit, 44.1kHz sampling) max gain is 70dB. The Sony D-50 is 66dB. Hats off to Olympus! I would like to see measured specs for Oly's 24 bit/96kHz rates.

Dec 24, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The binaural track sounds all right. I didn't think it was too noisy. There was some sense of direction. Detail was a little on the low side though but that could be because of the chain and not the mics themselves so it's hard to say.

Ian,

I was wondering if MM-BSM-8 recordings retrieve three dimensional “image” during playback on circumaural headphones.

I presume Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2 sounds better with ear buds, because both elements are placed in the same position (microphone membrane and headphone transducer are more or less in the entrance of the ear canal). At least some reviews states that their recordings played back with ear buds retrieve a very faithful three dimensional "image".

But I was just imagining that MM-BSM-8 stays some sort out of the pinna (the outer part of the ear), then their recordings should sound better, speaking in terms of "sense of direction", when played back through circumaural headphones, in which the transducers stay close to the ear.

Is that correct? When you play MM-BSM-8 recordings on circumaural designs they retrieve such three dimensional "image"?

Can you confirm the position of the MM-BSM-8 membrane? I believe that an ideal position would be parallel to the ears (like SP-TFB-2), but I guess that MM-BSM-8 membrane is perpendicular to the ear. Is that correct?

Jose

p.s.: I have been reading that really open air headphones may have better retrieval then closed headphones, because there is no occlusion. Do you play those individual MM-BSM-8 binaural recordings on K-1000? How does it sound? Do you think Sony MDR-F1 would be something similar?

Dec 25, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #42 of 42
The MM-BSM-8 goes in like an ear bud also. Take a look at this photo.

http://www.microphonemadness.com/pro...trunathook.jpg

I haven't really had a chance to test out with all my headphones since they're in storage unfortunately so I don't know how three dimensional it can actually sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back