Jul 10, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #16 of 42
The Don King version of the Sony PCM-D50 with outdoor wind screen

PCMD50ws-large.jpg

497px-Don_King.jpg

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #17 of 42
That's funny spareribs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here is an excerpt of the pcm-d50.

"The major downside of this design is that the D50 cannot provide phantom power to condenser microphones, so if one wishes to use an external mic, it must be a dynamic, or a condenser with its own battery for phantom power. The D50 can provide "plug-in power" to small electret microphones that require it, but it's important to remember that this is not the same thing as phantom power."

The Zoom H4 has xlr inputs. However, according to all the reviews, the sony has the cleanest pre-amp of any portable recorder so far. The sony windscreen is a little ridiculous imo ($50). I cut out an old sock and that is my windscreen. It works and cost me $0.

I second the AT822 mic. It is an awesome mic. A friend of mine has em. I have the sony ecm-957. Gonna compare that tomorrow with the internal mic.

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #18 of 42
Here's an example of a more higher end mic preamp for external phantom power. Goes for around $650.

The Sound Devices Mixpre:
mixpre-angle.jpg

Here's the Mixpre in use with a portable recorder.

Freesound_Possum.jpg

Jul 12, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #19 of 42
I just pulled the trigger on the Sony PCM-D50. Being a violinist, I'm really excited about recording myself and chamber music groups. I have an external mic for more detailed recordings. Awesome that there are so many around here into recording - guess I shouldn't be surprised! Anyway, can't wait to get it!

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #20 of 42
I'm a trumpet player and I rely very much on this machine. I've yet to find the sweet spot for where to place this recorder. I was pretty amazed by how sensitive the pcm-d50 is. Playing my bell straight towards the mic picks up every little impurity that's coming out. Different heights, distances and bell position vary the result greatly. Does anyone have any tips on this?

Jul 12, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a trumpet player and I rely very much on this machine. I've yet to find the sweet spot for where to place this recorder. I was pretty amazed by how sensitive the pcm-d50 is. Playing my bell straight towards the mic picks up every little impurity that's coming out. Different heights, distances and bell position vary the result greatly. Does anyone have any tips on this?

Distance should help, and moving the mic off-axis (pointed away from the bell) may improve the sound. The sound of brass instruments involves the room as much as anything else, and pointing the bell directly at the mic is like playing into someone's ear--not what they're used to hearing.

Jul 14, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #22 of 42
Well, for all of you that have the Sony PCM D50, do you mainly use the device for recording (I know it's a good recorder/monitor)? But what about as a .wav music player? Has anyone compare this device to the Ipod, Cowan D2 etc? Straightly speaking of SQ, is this a good performer? With Wav file format and with the ability to choose up to 96khz/24bit it should be superior to the other platform.

It seems like it has an optical line out, but is there a way to line out to a Predator or Pico through their usb DAC in? If not, is there analogue line out follow the same principle as the Ipod line out by bypassing the internal amp? I am very interested in this unit and just need a little bit more info before I pull the trigger. Please help.

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, for all of you that have the Sony PCM D50, do you mainly use the device for recording (I know it's a good recorder/monitor)? But what about as a .wav music player? Has anyone compare this device to the Ipod, Cowan D2 etc? Straightly speaking of SQ, is this a good performer? With Wav file format and with the ability to choose up to 96khz/24bit it should be superior to the other platform.

It seems like it has an optical line out, but is there a way to line out to a Predator or Pico through their usb DAC in? If not, is there analogue line out follow the same principle as the Ipod line out by bypassing the internal amp? I am very interested in this unit and just need a little bit more info before I pull the trigger. Please help.

Sorry I can't help you regarding using this as an MP3 player. I use it exclusively as a recorder. Here's another tip. I bought a DS Lite mini folio from bestbuy for $11, much cheaper than the sony case ($60). The pcm-d50 fits really snugly in it. Can't put much else in it except the windsock and remote. Overall, great case for me. I've also read some suggestions for psp cases.

2666369795_045a56e090_o.jpg

2667192310_cea0f7141d_o.jpg

2666369871_8d663076bd_o.jpg

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #24 of 42
Nabwong, thanks for the pics. Just for your info, i called Sony tech support and asked the questions that I posted above. I thought someone may be interested in the info. Apparently, as far as line out is concern, there are only two ways, an analog line out that is very much like using an ipod LOD that bypassing the internal amp. The second is optical line out. So does anyone knows if there is a way to convert optical into usb digital out? If it is possible, then I can pipe the digital signal to the dac section of my Predator. Or does anyone knows how good is the D/A convertor in the D50? if it is good enough then I may not even need to worry about getting digital out of the D50 at all. From reading the D50 manual, it says that THD from line input to line output is less than 0.01%. Sounds pretty good. Please jump in.

Jul 15, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #25 of 42
Thanks for the pics Nabwong! I'm definitely going to get that case, when my pcm-d50 comes in the mail (tomorrow!!).

I was wondering if any owners of the d50 are using sony's ecm-ms957 microphone. I'm hoping it'll be a good match - I have one that I used to use with my mini-disc recorder.

If any of you are using it, can you give me your impressions?

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #26 of 42
No problem guys.

MatsudaMan, I have the ecm-957 ( This is the older version and not the new one 957PRO ). I've been using that mic for ages. I think it could be 8 years old. My impression is that, when using the mic, the floor noise is slightly lower than when using the built-in mic. I haven't tested the sound quality extensively but using the mic gives a sound which is slightly warmer. The built-in mic is slightly crisper and is more sensitive.

Right now, I've only used the d50 to record daily practice, so I've not used the mic for the convenience. I"ve been extremely pleased with the recording quality of the built-in mic. It's so hassle free, no more wires to worry about and takes so little time to set up. Best still, I can store the pcm-d50 in my trumpet case without the mic; my daily practice is always recorded now, as opposed to always forgetting my MD and Mic.

I think, you will be pleasantly surprised at how good the built-in mics are. I'm thinking of selling my 957 and upgrading to something like the at822.

Jul 16, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #27 of 42
Nabwong,
Thanks so much for your impressions! I actually just got the d50 in the mail today and I've been tinkering around with it for the last hour or so. First of all, it sounds really great - awesome detail retrieval and super low noise floor. Second of all, it is so easy to use! I think I've referred to the manual just once (to figure out what dpc was - awesome tool for practice!). The mics are indeed really sensitive, but If you can record your trumpet without problems, It should be a breeze to find the right levels for my violin, and my wife for viola. I'll record myself soon (when I find the time to practice
biggrin.gif
), and tell you what I think.

Jul 16, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #28 of 42
Oh, btw, I hooked the d50 up to my Hornet via the line-out and listened through my HD580's - all I can say is OMG! Incredible!

Jul 16, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, btw, I hooked the d50 up to my Hornet via the line-out and listened through my HD580's - all I can say is OMG! Incredible!

Thanks for the feedback on the line out. I am just curious as to what was your portable music player before? and how do you compare the d50 to you old music player? You said incredible, but how much different does it really make and in what area? Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back