Digital Multimeter Recommendations
May 5, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #16 of 38
That looks like a decent meter
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’d like to upgrade my multimeter to something a little fancier.

At the moment I have this:

IP67 Rated Cat III Autoranging DMM - Jaycar Electronics

The one I have does a fair job, it’s auto ranging so it can be slow at times to cough up a reading, it’s has limitations within reading sensitive measurements from my experience (which is quite limited). I’ll be using it for general DIY projects. I’d like to stick with auto ranging, as I love them cause I don’t have to think much
biggrin.gif

No budget has been set, I just won’t to get a gauge on what other builders are using.

If you can, just get a Fluke. I have an older 77. It will probably be the last one I ever get :)

May 6, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #18 of 38
I can provide three choices:

Fluke, Fluke and Fluke! The 179 is a super DMM and priced right.

May 6, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #19 of 38
I picked out the Fluke 179 as well, just based on what it did. This was before it was getting great love here. People then (wow, last year...) seemed to love the 289, the 87 and some of the older ones. The 179 just seemed a good function/$ higher end DMM. I just wish I was building more stuff, so I could use it more. Wife, job and daughter claim most of m time!

May 6, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked out the Fluke 179 as well, just based on what it did. This was before it was getting great love here. People then (wow, last year...) seemed to love the 289, the 87 and some of the older ones. The 179 just seemed a good function/$ higher end DMM. I just wish I was building more stuff, so I could use it more. Wife, job and daughter claim most of m time!

Well if it’s getting a little too dusty let me know
tongue.gif

So the general concensius is a Fluke 179, well I’m on the look out for one now. Thanks everyone for a fabulous response!

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f44/wt...-179-a-422941/

May 6, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if it’s getting a little too dusty let me know
tongue.gif

So the general concensius is a Fluke 179, well I’m on the look out for one now. Thanks everyone for a fabulous response!

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f44/wt...-179-a-422941/

I'll hang on to it. Like any good tool, when you need it, you've got it. We searching will bring up a bunch of places to buy, with widely varying prices. I think I got mine at Markertek? Anyway, it had a bunch of stuff in a "kit" like leads, temp probe, carry case, etc. included for a price at or below meter only prices for others. I think it was $220, +/-. Not bad, but used would be even better!

May 6, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #22 of 38
one thing to think about: some of the newer dmm's have serial output for your computer.

its quite nice to be able to turn your computer into a data logger if you want.

I've used the rs232 feature to get long term data trends on voltages and such (I did some battery tests to see how long they'd run under a load and I used the rs232 output to get my graph working).

May 6, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #23 of 38
Flukes are so expensive and kind of hard to find in australia (or at least on the gold coast).. but i like them. I'm also currently using el-cheapo from jaycar. Soldering stations... hakko... drool.. have you seen that crazy Nitrogen thingy that you can get with it? ahaha

May 6, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #24 of 38
fluke is good, protek isn't bad neither and can be quite a bit cheaper than fluke. It's not as accurate, but for a handheld, I'm not sure it's a big deal.

For bench, I use an older Fluke 8842A. I like it, it's not extremely versatile, but it's accurate (if you have it calibrated regularly), way more so than a handheld. It's probably not as nifty as the HP ones.

May 6, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #25 of 38
I inherited a 'hand-me-down' Fluke 8022A from my dad back in the 80's... it's what I've been using and still works flawless.

BTW, does anyone have any info when these units were actually manufactured? I can't find a date code on it. I like the temp sensor feature on the newer models. Apparently mine will work with the optional Fluke 80T-150 Temperature Probe which cost about $50-$60... is it worth it or should just save/upgrade to the 179?

images

May 6, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #27 of 38
Thanks MisterX, didn't know I have a "classic"
smile.gif

I thought I saw the temp probes much cheaper on eBay/Craigslist before (used or older models perhaps).

May 7, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #28 of 38
There is a used one listed on Ebay with a buy it now price of $75.
Which is a little bit more reasonable but there is also a new Fluke 62 listed with a buy it now price of $72.
Same deal applies?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back