Digital Multimeter Recommendations
May 5, 2009 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

johnwmclean

Aka: capone, bignurse.
I’d like to upgrade my multimeter to something a little fancier.

At the moment I have this:

IP67 Rated Cat III Autoranging DMM - Jaycar Electronics

The one I have does a fair job, it’s auto ranging so it can be slow at times to cough up a reading, it’s has limitations within reading sensitive measurements from my experience (which is quite limited). I’ll be using it for general DIY projects. I’d like to stick with auto ranging, as I love them cause I don’t have to think much
biggrin.gif

No budget has been set, I just won’t to get a gauge on what other builders are using.

May 5, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by nux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't go past a Fluke. I use a 179.

Ditto.
And while they are not inexpensive, they are also easy to sell and hold value fairly well, just in case you fall out of the hobby. It's money well spent IMHO.

As MisterX pointed out, there are lots of nice used pieces, too. HP, Fluke, Keithley, Tek. If you want a fancy bench meter, this is the way to go, as they are well north of $1K when new.

One word of caution- newer B&K gear, while functional, is of generally pretty poor construction. They used to make great gear back in the day. Fluke is really rugged, and very accurate these days, as is Agilent/HP.

May 5, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd also want to get it calibrated.

Is calibration a do once and your done thing, or is something that should be done periodically? Can I do it myself?

May 5, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #13 of 38
Another vote for Fluke. You can save a few dollars buying used and they do hold their value. I've come close to buying a few of the older HP bench meters - I really love those - but I don't have the room for one right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back