Digital is so much better than vinyl!!
Oct 13, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #76 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's because of something called "hot mastering."

The industry cranks up the signal to high levels before making the glass master. They do this so that music stands out when played on the radio. But this makes for horrible CD quality, as many of the levels are peaking, and kills the dynamic range. One of my best sounding CDs is Thomas Dolby's "The Flat Earth."

I have some new cd's that sound distorted, i can even hear the engeneer crancking up the volume of some sounds.....terrible. Almost all new recordings are so crappy, if you want high quality, you gotta buy old cd's or xrcd or xrcd2 cd's these are all high quality.

Oct 13, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #77 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dual 1228 at ebay $80. Phono preamp or 70s receiver at ebay $50. Pretty darn good cartridge of your choice $70.

That setup would give most music fans plenty of enjoyment. If the cart on the turntable is still in good condition, or just needs a new stylus, you can get away even cheaper.

The benefit of this particular turntable is that for a couple hundred dollars more, you could get a Grado 3.5 mil DJ cartridge mounted on a separate Dual headshell and be able to play 78s too.

Or you could shop around and find a really good deal on a used Thorens or Technics. They're not very expensive compared to new turntables either.

See ya
Steve

Do you prefer DD(direct drive)or belt drive record players?

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #78 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a high end level, i would say digital is on par with the best record rigs.

If by high-end digital you mean high-res formats such as DVD-A you'd be correct, they can indeed match a top end record player. Standard redbook CD is not even close, my Simaudio Andromeda is in the top tier of CD players and it still has a ways to go before matching the performance of my Nottingham Anna Log turntable.

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #79 of 124
It's interesting you say that since there's another thread in this section that talks about a study that attempts to prove that people can't differentiate between the formats... that mastering is the #1 factor. I'm sort of agreeing with that.

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #80 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha....no, it's not. But I got you to look.

Seriously though, I've slowly come to the grudging admission that below a certain price point, there's probably more enjoyment of music to be had from CD's (and FLAC) than from vinyl. I'm not sure what that threshold is; but I'd probably peg it somewhere around $2000-2500.
blink.gif
That's just hardware too. Records can sound wonderful, but the dirt-cheap used pressings from the bargain bins rarely do.

Which means that many people trying to get into vinyl just aren't hearing what all the fuss is about. And that's a pity.

Vinyl or not vinyl, that is the question... but not any longer for me. I've decided to say goodbye to the vinyl recordings some month ago. I haven't regret it so far. CDs and SACDs can sound great and are able to please me through and through. There was no need for me to keep the old vinyl recordings, since Solti's "Ring" came out on CD. I even won't change my audio components I've got so far until they are broken. I'm really happy with all the things I've got now... concentrated listening to my music has finally become a fantastic journey for me.

What I wanted to say: I really do not miss any vinyls! Putting them away has been the right decision - to my mind.
cool.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #81 of 124
Quote:

Do you prefer DD(direct drive)or belt drive record players?

There are good models of both. I use a direct drive for 78s and a belt drive for LPs. It wouldn't work the other way around.

See ya
Steve

Oct 14, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #83 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are good models of both. I use a direct drive for 78s and a belt drive for LPs. It wouldn't work the other way around.

See ya
Steve

So, you're actually saying that DD is better for accurate higher speeds then belt drives.

Oct 14, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #84 of 124
Quote:

So, you're actually saying that DD is better for accurate higher speeds then belt drives.

A quartz DD turntable is more accurate than a belt or rim drive at any speed.

Oct 14, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #85 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A quartz DD turntable is more accurate than a belt or rim drive at any speed.

That's what i thought but bigShot prefers beltdrive for 33 and 45 records, wich surprises me a bit.

Oct 14, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #86 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You don't need to spend 2500 USD to get a decent vinyl playback system as an entry level deck like the Rega P3 will outperform most cd players at any price. You need to throw serious money at digital to acheive the things which a half decent record player is capable of. Conversly though the more you spend on a vinyl front end the closer you will get to basic CD-like levels of quiet and detail.

Funny you should mention that.
Just last night I went to a friend's house to listen to his all-new all-revealing Cambridge Audio upsampling cd player. We ended up listening to his P3 for most of the night.

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #87 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha....no, it's not. But I got you to look.

Seriously though, I've slowly come to the grudging admissin that below a certain price point, there's probably more enjoyment of music to be had from CD's (and FLAC) than from vinyl. I'm not sure what that threshold is; but I'd probably peg it somewhere around $2000-2500.
blink.gif
That's just hardware too. Records can sound wonderful, but the dirt-cheap used pressings from the bargain bins rarely do.

Which means that many people trying to get into vinyl just aren't hearing what all the fuss is about. And that's a pity.

Yes Mr.Sarchi,you made me look.Vinyl is making a slow comeback,and I think people this time around will take better care of their lps unlike they did before cds came out.People who use to buy lps and 45s ,would listen to them for a while with worn out needles,and they would let them lay around unprotected and throw them around because they took them for granted.When it came time to do some major cleaning around the house ,those old worn out,abused records took a trip to the trash barrel.Now with a new appriciation of vinyl ,people will look at them differently .I do think that a new and or unabused quality lp will match or beat a cd anyday,but digital is very conveniant.I have been buying some of the new 180 gram lps and they sound great.Have you heard about the new TTs that play lps without a stylus? Double LL

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #88 of 124
What's this, my old thread? Die, thread, die!!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by double LL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard about the new TTs that play lps without a stylus? Double LL

Yes..the laser tt's aren't really new. And general consensus is that they suck.

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #89 of 124
Quote:

That's what i thought but bigShot prefers beltdrive for 33 and 45 records, wich surprises me a bit.

Generally speaking, belt drive provides a much simpler method of decoupling of the motor from the platter, which isolates vibrations that would otherwise distort the sound audibly. Most modern belt drive designs have pretty good speed control too.

Jan 4, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #90 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet!

Well, that settles the vinyl question for me, personally.
From the mouth of 'bigshot' himself, I would gain nothing by going to vinyl.

Thanks, I've saved a few thousand...
wink.gif

EK

There is just something about the way that diamond point scrubs up against that vinyl.You can't play a violin with a laser gun ,you have to use friction from a bow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back