Digital is so much better than vinyl!!
Jan 8, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #121 of 124
I don't like the idea of saying that digital is "better" than vinyl JUST because it's more convenient, which a few people here (but not all) seem to be saying.

Why should music be convenient? There's no good reason for it to be. If you make it too convenient, then it's just dead background noise, like it is for television commercials, or for kids with iPods playing at eardrum-bursting levels, or for wannabethugs in their subwoofer-mobiles.

I don't know about all the technical stuff, I won't argue that end of it, though to me it seems that what the data indicates is that vinyl is better in some ways and digital is better in others...but, my point is, you can't say digital is "better" JUST because it's more convenient. MP3's are super-convenient, compressed dynamics are convenient, and no serious music-lover could long endure either of those.

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #122 of 124
This isn't helping...lol I have yet to see a comparative review of a vinyl rig with a digital rig. Maybe this would at least help those looking at deciding which format to go with. I'm still unsure. I am really wondering if there is a sq benefit with vinyl or is it simply the "experience" giving a placebo effect of vinyl be more natural.

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #123 of 124
Hellenback;3621077 said:
Quote:

I've come to the conclusion that some people spend a FORTUNE for infinitesimal improvements in sound. That, in my humble, poor man's opinion, has less to do with the enjoyment of music than the pursuit of perfection

What you say is true. But the audio bug works this way:

You have fumbled into some audio meet or dealer's or friend's where you heard *IT,* music played back with that indescribable gestalt, soul, and most of all, emotion that made your eyes water. It's the Magic.

This is largely an illusion b/c you have heard it with music, system, room you are not really familiar with, and the owners of this equipment probably don't even feel the magic on a regular basis anyway. They are on their own audiophile hell/journey as well.

But having glimpsed *it,* you now feel unsatisfied unless most/all your music has the magic all the time, which is an impossible goal simply b/c of the poor quality of recordings produced on average.

Yet you throw money at it, hoping to get just a little closer this year. Maybe next year... Maybe next.

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #124 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was at the Toronto meet and heard Mr. Phil-o-dox's gear. If HE thinks HE's got a long way to go before perfection, what hope is there for the rest of us?!

Thanks for the compliment, but trust me, there are areas that can be improved on.
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've come to the conclusion that some people spend a FORTUNE for infinitesimal improvements in sound.

You're right to a point. I think I can still 'dance to the music' on my rig, and I'm sure others searching for the best sound can say the same. I do most enjoy those times when I am contented with my rig and just listen to the music. Much better than when I am in tweak mode. It seems those contented times are lasting longer for me now, haven't felt the bug in a while.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back