Digital Camera Recommendation
Mar 31, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #17 of 46
Go with the canon. I have SD300 and its a great little camera.

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #18 of 46
If you do get get a canon SD, be wary that the SD100/200/300/400/500 suffer from an easily crackable lcd. Same with Panasonic lumix dmc-fx-/8/9. If your gf plans on carrying all the time, it may be a problem. The SD450 and newer model canons seem to have a supposedly reinforced lcd, as there have been few reports of damage. ( they use a larger sized screen, which protrudes more from the body)

Apr 2, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #20 of 46
I did much research months ago before buying a camera. The Canons were the bomb. I was all set to buy one until I caught a Sony DSC-P73 on clearance. I haven't been sorry. It is what it is. It's no Canon, but it serves my needs.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
OK. What about a camera for myself? Looking at the DSC-R1 and the Canon Digital Rebel XT and the Nikon D50...

If you're looking into DSLRs look no further than the Nikon D70, the picture quality is amazing. Although for everyday photo shooting (if you carry your camera around everywhere for those quick shots) I like the Panasonic DMC-FZ5, it's a neat little camera and allows me to take pretty nice shots on the go without having to adjust settings and or swap lenses and filters. I would steer clear of the R1 as it's not even a DSLR and cannot match a DSLR in terms of image quality (bit grainy, poor high iso performance, no swappable parts) but costs the came as the Rebel XT, which is also a great DSLR.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
If you're looking into DSLRs look no further than the Nikon D70, the picture quality is amazing. Although for everyday photo shooting (if you carry your camera around everywhere for those quick shots) I like the Panasonic DMC-FZ5, it's a neat little camera and allows me to take pretty nice shots on the go without having to adjust settings and or swap lenses and filters. I would steer clear of the R1 as it's not even a DSLR and cannot match a DSLR in terms of image quality (bit grainy, poor high iso performance, no swappable parts) but costs the came as the Rebel XT, which is also a great DSLR.

i can recommend any dSLR that comes under $1000. they all have their strengths and weaknesses. it depends on what one values most.

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #23 of 46
For a DSLR keep an eye out for great prices on a Canon 20D. Since it was just replaced by the 30D there should be some deep price reductions. It's a better camera than the Rebel XT, and you may be able to get one for not much more money soon.

Apr 2, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #25 of 46
nice thread ive been looking for awhile anyone got any feedback on this?

Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-W50

i saw it today at circuit city when i bought some cd-rs

6.0 Megapixel
3x optical zoom
2.5 In lcd

for 250 looks pretty sweet yay or nay?

Apr 2, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
OK. What about a camera for myself? Looking at the DSC-R1 and the Canon Digital Rebel XT and the Nikon D50...

For a compact camera, I suggest the Sony T5 or T9, these are amazing compact cameras and are very stylish, something the gf will definitely love.

As for a camera for yourself, I suggest the Canon Rebel or Rebel XT. I just upgraded from an F717 to a Canon Rebel and the difference is night and day. It's so much more flexible and it's fast as hell. The only thing you can't do with the Canon DSLR is that you can't take movies. But as a pure camera, it's above and beyond the F717.

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #27 of 46
DJ Mauler: The Sony DSC-W50 is a great little camera. My gf is waiting for the black version to come out -- it's a purely point and shoot camera but it has spectacular battery life (400 shots) and took some impressive photos while we played with it at Circuit City.

Re: New Camera

Yes, I'm looking into the world of D-SLR's. I was primarly leaning towards the Nikon D50 because it was the cheapest, but the Canon EOS 350D looks very nice, albeit very small. Also, I heard that the 350D's 18-55mm kit lens wasn't so great, so I was thinking of getting a body only then adding a different lens. Anyone have any recommendations on that? All-in-all, I'm probably going to get a Digital Rebel XT since I was impressed by the pictures and was rather turned off by the quality of the D50's photos.

The Nikon D70s and D200 look great, but they are a little too expensive for me. Maybe if the Canon 20D drops more in price I'll snag that.

It's good to hear that the upgrade to a 350D is significant from the F717. Now I just need to sell mine... anyone interested?

Apr 3, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #28 of 46
So I went into CC again and had a chance to play with the D50, 350D, D70, and 20D. I didn't like the ``cheap'' feel of the 350D, the Nikons and the 20D felt much better. All in all I fell in love with the 20D; So I will probably end up getting that.

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Dangerous
sd600_586x225.jpg

Mine just arrived at work this afternoon. Man, this baby is tiny!!! I can palm it way easier than a deck of cards. Love the substantial amount of metal on the body. Gives it a nice heft. Even thought the LCD is a bit smaller than the SD630, I like the manual finder capability for bright situations and overall battery savings. Thanks for the reco, Nick.

Btw, ordered mine from BeachCamera.com for $289. I opted for the free FedEx Ground shipping rather than pay for faster service. Although the site said to expect 8-10 days, it arrived in less than 2 - can't complain about that. I got a 2gig SD card to use with it, so I should be good to go after the battery charges up.

I'll be testing it out over Easter weekend with the family, and then at the National meet the following weekend. Woot!

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #30 of 46
I've been having fun with mine. I have no idea how Canon packs such an extraordinary amount of technology into that tiny little case, but it's a miracle that it works as well as it does. Photo and movie quality is excellent for a consumer-level camera like this.

Only problem is STABILITY. With such a small size and weight, the effect of every microminiscule hand movement is multiplied greatly. I'm no geezer (yet), but even my relatively steady hands shake too much to deliver a razor-sharp image. It seems silly to need a tripod for a tiny camera like this, but other than upping the ISO to 400-800, I can't think of any other solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back