Difficult Situation, What Amp for HD600 under these constraints?
Feb 20, 2008 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

LordofDoom

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm new to Head-Fi forums and in fact to being an Audiophile. I've currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD600s and have had them for a few months, but a whole bunch of people have been recommending me to get an amp. I have an Auzentech X-Meridian with LM4562 opamps.

First off, should I or should I not get an amp? Do amps make the sound clearer and do they make it louder? I currently have the standard HD600 cable, it has not been upgraded.

Second off, do the amps impede 5.1 simulation? I game a whole hell of a lot and this would be a huge negative to not have 5.1 simulation available to me anymore.

Finally, and probably most important, I have a massive budget constraint. We're talking maybe $100 +/- a few.

Help me out here please, thanks!

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 13
3 sentences:

Amps don't influence the 5.1 simulation at all. An amp definitely would help with clarity of the headphone. $100 would not get you anything useful unless you go up ~$50 and get Mini^3.

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 13
You're prelude support CMSS and Virtual 5.1 for headphone listening right? just use it with external amp.

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 13
Any amp should work fine with the 5.1 simulation.

Your amp choices are very limited given your budget unless you build your own. You can get a SOHA kit at Glass Jar Audio. I think you can order one with an enclosure, as well. Barring that, see if you can turn up an original Musical Fidelity X-Can or maybe a Creek OBH-11. I've seen those sell between $100 and $150 used.

I would not recommend a portable amp. This series of Sennheisers needs some serious drive.

Feb 21, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordofDoom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally, and probably most important, I have a massive budget constraint. We're talking maybe $100 +/- a few.

That's a very serious constraint - not likely are you to find a $100 amp that can drive HD600. Do consider the Mini^3, they pop up on the FS forums for around $100 or just over and there are builders who can build you one, I think the average price is $125 or $150 for custom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordofDoom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anything in the FS section that would fit my needs :/ ?

Check out the CKK-III for $175 shipped if you can stretch the budget that much. That amp is worth it.

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 13
For several years I used my HD600's with a Headroom Airhead and then a Total Airhead. It sells new for $100 and you can't beat Headroom for customer support and reliability. For $150 you get the Total Bithead that will run off of USB also.

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by brainsalad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For several years I used my HD600's with a Headroom Airhead and then a Total Airhead. It sells new for $100 and you can't beat Headroom for customer support and reliability. For $150 you get the Total Bithead that will run off of USB also.

Biggest issue is that it's portable and looks like it requires batteries
frown.gif

Please tell me I'm wrong?

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #10 of 13
I recommend the High-gain Mini3 or a CKKIII as mentioned before. You might be able to get a little-dot 2++ for around 150 used, 125 if you are REALLY lucky.

Feb 21, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 13
I can recommend the Porta Corda MkIII (haven't heard the earlier versions). Sounds great with my HD600. The sound quality is improved if you power it with an DC adaptor. It can handle up to 28 V DC.

It's been discontinued by Meier Audio, but you might be able to find it in the FS forum in your price range.

Feb 21, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #13 of 13
PM'd the seller of the MisterX XP amp after reading a few reviews of it.

Any comments on http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...d-amp-298855/?

EDIT: Just my luck, the XP amp is sold
frown.gif

EDIT 2: Are any of the following from Amazon any good?
Prosonus HP4 Amazon.com: 4 Channel Headphone Amplifier: Electronics
Rolls PM50 Amazon.com: Rolls PM50s Personal Monitor Amp: Electronics
Nady HPA4 Amazon.com: Nady HPA4 4 Channel Headphone Amplifier/Line Distributor: Electronics
Behringer Minimon MON800 Amazon.com: Behringer Minimon MON800 Stereo Monitor Matrix Mixer: Electronics
Behringer HA4700 Amazon.com: Behringer HA4700 Powerplay Pro Headphone Amp: Electronics
ART HeadampV Amazon.com: ART HEADAMPV Five Channel Headphone Mixer/Amplifier: Electronics
SM Pro Audio HP6 Amazon.com: SM Pro Audio HP6 6 Channel Headphone Amplifier: Electronics

I'm going to take a wild guess that none of these are good, but make me happy and I hope one is
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back