Differences in Lossless audio
Sep 1, 2005 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Kassem

500+ Head-Fier
I've been ripping my cds using Windows Media Player 9 Lossless. How does this compare to some of the other programs that can rip lossless audio?

biggrin.gif
Jeremy

Sep 1, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 21
Man, lossless is lossless, there's no lossless that is not lossless, even some say some kind of lossless is not lossless, lossless is always lossless.

Phew... is there enough of lossless???

Well, there're several lossless codecs outthere, you can try yourself out to choose the best solution for you, FLAC and APE (MonkeyAudio) are pretty popular and have decent support (software and hardware), WavPack packs lot of useful features (features differentiate lossless codec, not quality, it's lossless) with version 4, but it's quite new (even tho I decided to transcode all my FLAC to WavPack), WMA lossless is newer than them, but with M$ power, it's future is quite bright. Btw, I don't have much information about WMA lossless, so I think you should go with WavPack with embedded CUE sheet, create WavPack CD images, you can transcode it anytime without worry about quality degrade.

Sep 2, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 21
.ape monkey audio wont loss anything for your other lossless !
blink.gif

Sep 2, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 21
All your losslesses are belong to me
-Mag

Sep 2, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 21
Lossless is lossless but I still think FLAC is the best. It also sounds better to say than Windows Media Player 9 and Ape Monkey Audio. Seriously, I don't want monkies screwing with my audio.
icon10.gif

Sep 2, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #9 of 21
I use MS's WMA Lossless...

However what matters more than any lossless codec you pick is the DAE extraction quality from your drive...

I find the plextor premium cd burner to do the best job at ripping, at around 4 to 8x.

Oh and make sure to use that green pen just for good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kassem
I've been ripping my cds using Windows Media Player 9 Lossless. How does this compare to some of the other programs that can rip lossless audio?

biggrin.gif
Jeremy

Not perfect. The file format is good, and the software is very easy, but the ripping is not perfect on bad discs. You will have to learn to use EAC (unless you have a Plextor).

Sep 2, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 21
the differences between the lossless codecs are mainly going to be file size

FLAC is good... but for most things wavpack tends to get a little more compression in...

there are always exceptions... like Django Reinhardt - Djangology Vol. 1: 1934-35... which is 110MB in FLAC (mono recordings compress REALLY well) and 126MB in Wavpack

Sep 2, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #13 of 21
Monkey Audio was the first lossless format I used. It compress a bit more than FLAC overall, but I think FLAC is more flexible (there are existing hardware support - and the way I understand, easier to decode, making it more suitable for portable devices - not a bad thing).

Sep 2, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #14 of 21
How is wavpack in cpu utilization department? Last thing I remember from FLAC vs APE discussion is that the former uses far less cpu cycles at the cost of just a few % of compression efficiency. Naturally, my choice of lossless file format is FLAC. I got a few ape songs as well, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back