Differences in Lossless audio
Sep 3, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #16 of 21
i'm not entirely sure but i think wavpack is actually faster to decode

it also encodes faster... flac -8 took around 4-5minutes to encode [WITH_TEETH] wavpack (lossless high) took less than 2 minutes...

now you can get a little more compression out of wavpack with -x but it slows the encoding down ALOT for a very small gain when used with lossless high (my test using [WITH_TEETH] was only 1MB smaller)

Sep 3, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #18 of 21
I use .APE because ease of use, and superior compression. I found a copy of a CD compressed it .FLAC, I think it was 210 megs, recompressed it in APE High compression and it was 180 megs. That is a big savings especially if you are going to rip your whole collection in lossless.

I'm not really concerned with CPU useage, I have a Athlon 64 @ 2.65 ghz, plus CPUS just get faster and faster all the time. Also hardware support doesn't matter to me, I only really need it in front of my computer, I will never, ever own a high end CD player of any kind.

Plus........THEY HAVE A MONKEY!!!! How cool is that?!?!

Sep 3, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #19 of 21
I like the ability to rip & encode directly using Monkey's filter in EAC.. the bad thing is, APE cannot do upto 24/192, for that I use FLAC which works pretty good.. the differences in file sizes are marginal, in my eyes..

Sep 3, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar
I use .APE because ease of use, and superior compression. I found a copy of a CD compressed it .FLAC, I think it was 210 megs, recompressed it in APE High compression and it was 180 megs. That is a big savings especially if you are going to rip your whole collection in lossless.

That is a big difference. Much bigger than the few CDs I tried...
Still, CPU gets faster but HD gets bigger too. For archiving purpose, there are better format than FLAC. But in terms of playback, I reckon that FLAC has a bright future.

Sep 4, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TooNice
That is a big difference. Much bigger than the few CDs I tried...
Still, CPU gets faster but HD gets bigger too. For archiving purpose, there are better format than FLAC. But in terms of playback, I reckon that FLAC has a bright future.

I wish there was a simple transcoding tool to switch between FLAC and APE in case such need arises.

Glassman, couldnt you set up EAC to encode in FLAC in a one-step process? thats what I am doing with my CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back