Difference btw Grado RS2i and RS2
Oct 26, 2009 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

keezzzz

100+ Head-Fier
Here in the Netherlands i can buy a RS2 for 399 euro or the RS2i for 599 euro
is the "i" a very big difference ? I have a SR80 but never heard a SR80i, thats why i'm wondering of the i is worth 200 euro

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by the chemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be interested as well in those have done A/B testing or similar with RS2i vs RS2 as well. There is quite a price gap for the RS2, RS1 RS2i and RS1i.

Hi there:

I would really just go for the RS1s. They are the better headphone. More refined and the best example of that "Grado House Sound".

I tried the RS2s for a couple of hours and just came back to the RS1s did everything better (some a bit better and some more).

I currently own and have owned a various amount of headphones over the years. I've have sold many, but I still have my RS1s. They are my favourites...period (although my Denon AH-D7000s have been making me re-think this recently).

Not to mention I can guarantee, if you got the RS2s, in a few months you'll be wondering about the RS1s...then you're likely to move up and sell the RS2s at a loss (hopefully small). So just save your money and buy the RS1s from the start.

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 10
I have listened A-B ed a few "i" models, and they are all a huge improvement over the non-i. The SR60i, the MS1i, and the SR225i, all noticeably have bigger soundstage, more body, and an improved bottom end.

I would go with the "i" version of the RS2 as well based on listening to the lower end model alone.

Oct 27, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 10
I believe that the i models for the lower-end Grados now have a larger enclosure? That might also account for the sound difference?

However, the body of the Rs2 didn't change with the i designation.

Oct 27, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have listened A-B ed a few "i" models, and they are all a huge improvement over the non-i. The SR60i, the MS1i, and the SR225i, all noticeably have bigger soundstage, more body, and an improved bottom end.

I would go with the "i" version of the RS2 as well based on listening to the lower end model alone.

Wow! Really? I was looking for this sort of firm opinion almost a year ago when most of the "i"'s came out, but up until your post, I have found nothing that has safely stated that there was clearly much of a difference. Do you really, truly think that there is actually a "huge" improvement? (I'm just playing devil's advocate here, and do, in fact, feel that there is a marginal but significant difference between the MS-1 and MS-1i.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #8 of 10
What I got from reading this thread so far is that NONE of contributors could give a clear and data sustained answer to a fairly simple question:
"What are the differences between the RS2 and the RS2i"

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
What I got from reading this thread so far is that NONE of contributors could give a clear and data sustained answer to a fairly simple question:
"What are the differences between the RS2 and the RS2i"

that's because so few people have heard the i and non-i version back to back to make decent comparisons. And then you have different amps and sources from different people which will also influence the sound and either accentuate or minimize any differences between models.

I've had i and non-i versions of different Grado headphones but never at the same time.

I would suggest that the difference is not worth 200 Euro. I don't think the RS2 - either i or non-i - is worth 600 Euro. I got mine used for around 300 USD a few years ago. that seems about right. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #10 of 10
The cord on the "i" models is terribly cumbersome. And they are terminated with the biggest and heaviest jack in the world.
Not the best choice for headphones that play well with portable devices. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back