Difference: Beyerdynamic Pro?
Jan 16, 2009 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

The Uam

100+ Head-Fier
So, I think i'm going to buy my first set of cans. I've narrowed it down to the Beyerdynamic DT 770 or DT 880. But now i'm seeing that there is a normal version and a pro version. What the main difference other then looks? Anybody done a side comparison?
Thanks

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 30
Get whichever one is cheaper, they shouldn't sound much different between pro and non-pro models. The DT770 and DT880 sound very different though. If you love bass, get the DT770. If you like a more natural presentation, get the DT880.

Jan 17, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 30
Don't know about the DT880, but between the various DT770 models, the sound is very different.

The DT770 Pro's are bass heavy and not so detailed and resolving. The DT770 Pro 80 ohm has a more friendly treble than the DT770 Pro 250 ohm.

The DT770 consumer edition (250 ohm) is more refined and airier. The bass is lighter and tighter.
Mids are more forward and clearer. The soundstage is wider.
The treble is more detailed, but also hotter than the Pro 80 ohm.
See also: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...dition-346155/

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 30
Depends on whether you're talking about the pre-2005 model non-Pro or the new ones.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on whether you're talking about the pre-2005 model non-Pro or the new ones.

I'm guessing the new ones since I'm going to buy a new pair of DT 880's, but I'm not sure the difference between the 880 pro and normal.....

I don't think that I'm going to buy 770 because well, the store I'm buying from only has the pro series....

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 30
I'm exactly in the same position....all these different versions turn me nuts
frown.gif

I remember that ages ago I compared my MDR-CD1000 to the DT880...I found the 880 more bassy, the treble much less annoying and a lot more comfy.

thing is, I'd like to have truly closed cans...the SONY are not really closed, and the 880 are semi-open.

more bass would be good too, even though I shape the audio the way I want it in OzoneMP
biggrin.gif

so that leaves me between all the different builds of the 770....some say the pro is harsher, some say the pro/80 has too much bass, some say the pro/250 is more balanced.

and someone said he plugged the 770pro/80 and the 770pro/250 in the same source, and the volume control was set to the same level.....so WTH does the impedance has to do with anything(my SONY is 32 Ohm BTW)
frown.gif

I use the bit-perfect headphones output on my M-Audio Audiophile USB(NE5532 opamps)...it sounds great on the SONY, but the damn thing is too "hot" for me...I want more bass and less treble.

I might settle down to the 770 pro/250, and increase the soundstage in OzoneMP
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm exactly in the same position....all these different versions turn me nuts
frown.gif

I remember that ages ago I compared my MDR-CD1000 to the DT880.

I found the 880 more bassy, the treble much less annoying and a lot more comfy.

thing is, I'd like to have truly closed cans...the sony are not really closed.

and more bass would be good too, even though I shape the audio the way I want it in OzoneMP
biggrin.gif

so that leaves me between all the different builds of the 770....some say the pro is harsher, some say the pro80 has too much bass, some say the pro250 is more balanced.

and someone said he plugged the 770pro/80 and the 770pro/250 on the same source, and the volume control was set to the same level.....so WTH does the impedance has to do with anything
frown.gif

apparently it depends a lot on the source.

I use the bit-perfect headphones output on my M-Audio Audiophile USB(NE5532 opamps)...it sounds great on the SONY, but the damn thing is too "hot" for me...I want more bass and less treble.

I might settle down to the 770 pro/250
biggrin.gif

If you want more bass, and less treble, you better go with the Pro 80 ohm. The Pro 250 ohm is known as a bass AND treble heavy headphone.
None of the three DT770's (I leave the M out), are balanced. But the 2005 consumer edition, although too bright on top, is more balanced than the two Pro's.

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want more bass, and less treble, you better go with the Pro 80 ohm. The Pro 250 ohm is known as a bass AND treble heavy headphone.
None of the three DT770's (I leave the M out), are balanced. But the 2005 consumer edition, although too bright on top, is more balanced than the two Pro's.

well I've only been using my cd1k for a long while, who needs anything else when everyone agrees that the cd3k is the best cans money can buy
biggrin.gif

I want beyer velours headphones, but a bit balanced if any possible....I mostly listen to roots reggae and heavy funk, but also ambient/indian music..and movies a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the 770 pro/250 might fit the bill, anyhow as stated above I will torture the sound in OzoneMP in 32 bits float
biggrin.gif

I'm just worried that the sound stage would be too narrow compared to the SONY.....but it'd be a lot more comfy as I got a big head and I'm getting tired of it
ph34r.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

better talk to God than to his saints
biggrin.gif

Quote:

The difference between the consumer and PRO version is actually only the look and the packaging, causing the consumer version to be way more expensive.

The transducers of the 80Ω versions are stronger and more powerful, a bit more mid accentuated. The 250Ω version sounds more smooth and voluminous. Normally the 80Ω is louder than the 250Ω version.

The DT 770 PRO 80Ω has a straight cable (3m), it is for the usage as studio monitor headphones – especially for instrumentalists.
80Ω systems are ideal for powerful reproducing of low-frequency material f.e. coming from a bass guitar.
The stronger system and thicker membrane provides punchy and clear bass sound at high levels.

The DT 770 PRO 250Ω system with its lighter coils sounds more smooth and analytical. The application in studio would here be more in a mixing situation to analyse the whole mix. The coiled cable in this version is ideal to connect the headphone directly to any mixing desk without having any disturbing cable lying on the floor.

Thanks and best regards,

Peter *****f
Product Manager Headzone® / Headphones / Headsets / OEM ProAudio

beyerdynamic GmbH & Co. KG
Theresienstr. 8
74072 Heilbronn - Germany

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
better talk to God than to his saints
biggrin.gif

Good to read what their intentions were. Pity they didn't succeed
biggrin.gif

AFIW: the Beyer god makes them, we hear them.
And last: some Beyer god managed to give a complete wrong advice on earpads replacements. They adviced the DT770 velour pads for an vintage DT990. Blah. I was the victim
mad.gif

Anyone who listened to a pro 80 ohm and a consumer edition, will confirm that this: "The difference between the consumer and PRO version is actually only the look and the packaging", is utterly crap. They sound very, very different.
See this thread

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Good to read what their intentions were. Pity they didn't succeed
biggrin.gif

AFIW: the Beyer god makes them, we hear them.
And last: some Beyer god managed to give a complete wrong advice on earpads replacements. They adviced the DT770 velour pads for an vintage DT990. Blah. I was the victim
mad.gif

Anyone who listened to a pro 80 ohm and a consumer edition, will confirm that this: "The difference between the consumer and PRO version is actually only the look and the packaging", is utterly crap. They sound very, very different.
See this thread

hehe ok I will, this is his reply to my last email :

Quote:

I forgot...the headbow is also a little stronger on the PRO versions indeed.

The 250 Ohms version indeed sounds more balanced and the 80 Ohms version is for mobile applications where the headphone amplifier has less power.

More expensive cables or wooden dampening is a very cool thing to do, but would drive the retail price to the top of the roof and not everybody wants to spent so much money for a headphone.

We rather don’t say too much about burning in, since this is really a matter of taste and we would surely start a big discussion about this if we would start to give our comments to this. It’s no voodoo though…

a lot of ppl on the french audiofanzine.com also said that the pro/250 sounded more balanced than the pro/80
redface.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #13 of 30
^
It's not the difference between the two pro ohm versions I was referring to, but the difference between pro 80 ohm and the 2005 consumer edition. That is huge.

I welcome every comparison between the two pro versions, because there's not so much information about their sonical differences.
Here's your chance to start a new FOTM
beyersmile.png

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get whichever one is cheaper, they shouldn't sound much different between pro and non-pro models. The DT770 and DT880 sound very different though. If you love bass, get the DT770. If you like a more natural presentation, get the DT880.

Hmm sounds to me you don't know what you are talking about. Every other review and advice I've read says the opposite, that the Pro version are significantly better for detail and soundstage.

To the OP, you should email HeadRoom, they will tell you in detail the differences. I know if you want aftermarket cable work done on Beyerdynamics from them, they won't do it on consumer versions, only Pro. There must be a very good reason for it. So my advice, go email them and they will give you a far more definitive advice given here so far, and I personally would trust their experience.

I've emailed them already and received a very quick response with plenty of detail. Enjoyable so far, I'm looking to possibly look at the DT880 or the HD650 from them, and deciding whether to get Cardas cable with them. Leaning more towards the HD650 with the phat pipe upgrade right now, got about a month to decide hehe,
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm sounds to me you don't know what you are talking about. Every other review and advice I've read says the opposite, that the Pro version are significantly better for detail and soundstage.

I've heard the exact opposite so many times. That home versions have more detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back