Difference: Beyerdynamic Pro?
Feb 17, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm sounds to me you don't know what you are talking about. Every other review and advice I've read says the opposite, that the Pro version are significantly better for detail and soundstage.

To the OP, you should email HeadRoom, they will tell you in detail the differences. I know if you want aftermarket cable work done on Beyerdynamics from them, they won't do it on consumer versions, only Pro. There must be a very good reason for it. So my advice, go email them and they will give you a far more definitive advice given here so far, and I personally would trust their experience.

DT770 Pro versions more detail and soundstage than the consumer version
confused.gif

Really, you are the first one claiming this.
Or are you referring to the DT880? Don't know about them.

HeadRoom won't be of much help. They don't sell the DT770's anymore.
A good source would be Internet Archive Wayback Machine and then search for their DT 770 Pro and edition 2005 reviews.

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #17 of 30
To the OP:

I can only comment on the DT770 Pro/80 since that's the only one I've heard, but I listen to a lot of the same music you do, and I find this phone to be an excellent choice. The Consumer Edition may be more refined, but I by no means find the Pro/80 unbalanced or bass bloated as others have stated. Maybe its my setup or just my personal preference. (I run it either directly out of my laptop or cell phone, or amp it with an E5.)

But considering you can find it for around $100 if you look hard, and the Consumer Edition is nearly 3 times that, it would have to be MUCH better to justify the difference. Try the Pro/80. I bet you'll like it, and if you don't, save up for something else and sell it. They're in high demand and someone on these boards would gladly take it off your hands.

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone who listened to a pro 80 ohm and a consumer edition, will confirm that this: "The difference between the consumer and PRO version is actually only the look and the packaging", is utterly crap. They sound very, very different.

that's the thing, if you read it again all he's saying is that the 770 consumer and the 770 pro/250 got the same drivers...and that the pro/80 has different drivers that are less balanced and mostly aimed at musicians in studio cabins.

and I also read about someone selling his 880/250 because he found his Manfaktur 880/600 sounded way better, and that's his reply :

Quote:

I have no idea what the headphones of my consumer colleagues sound like, but I expect the 32 ohms version to sound less transparent as the 600 ohms version. Headphone systems with lower impedances usually have a slightly heavier diaphragm + coil causing it to react slower to impulses…systems with higher impedances do the opposite.

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #19 of 30
and a last one for the road :

Quote:

Concerning the 2 different DT 770….buy a consumer version and buy a PRO/250 version….screw driver…proof. Just put the consumer systems into the PRO version :wink:

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #20 of 30
Feb 18, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #21 of 30
well yeah, the headband pressure is different and so is the housing :

Quote:

both housings do not use the same sort of plastics and do not have the same internal shape.

so use some damping(wood?) in the Pro/250 and you're good to go
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pro = huge bass, moderate mids, modest
consumer = large bass, modest mids, large highs
where moderate is more than modest.
consumer = grey/silver, pro = black.
Thats about it.

you might wanna finetune this statement, as the consumer and pro/250 got the exact same drivers...only the headband pressure and the housing are different
redface.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #24 of 30
DT990pro: little soundstage,accurate location,mid not as lush as 990'05,but still have the "lush" mid different to 880,less airly,more natural than 990'05

DT990'05 :large soundstage(even equal to GS1000),big soundimage,location not as good as 990pro,very lush mid and amazaing airly.

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #26 of 30
Have you emailed HeadRoom yet for a more definitive, my opinion, more trustworthy and experienced advice?

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Have you emailed HeadRoom yet for a more definitive, my opinion, more trustworthy and experienced advice?

Why should they answer questions about headphones they don't sell anymore
confused_face(1).gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #28 of 30
For the DT770, its not should but because they are so awesome, would not be surprised if will reply and give a clear explanation.

For the DT880, they most certainly do sell considering they also offer cable upgrades and mods for them.

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

For the DT770, its not should but because they are so awesome, will probably reply.

For the DT880, they most certainly do sell considering they also offer cable upgrades and mods for them.

Agreed on the DT880, except that HeadRoom doesn't sell the DT880 Pro.....

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #30 of 30
So wait,

I was planning on getting the premium dt880s. I listen to mainly hiphop, pop, alternative. Would that still be a good choice? Or should I go pro? I hope there isn't that much of a dropoff btw the bass of the two versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back