Difference between Dunu DN-2000 and Shure SE215?
Jan 4, 2015 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

harrysjoyce

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I purchased the Dunu DN-2000 online for $305 AUD and am waiting to receive them in the mail. I currently own the Shure SE215 and have been using them for a bit over 5 months. The reason i chose to upgrade to the Dunu DN-2000 was because they have a more natural and balanced sound compared to the Shure SE215. From my research the Dunu DN-2000 appear to have better mids and treble (clarity) compared to the Shure SE215 because of the 2 BA drivers and the 10mm dynamic driver. If anyone has listened or owned both of these IEMs could you please tell me the difference between the Shure SE215 compared to the Dunu DN-2000 and what did you find better about the Dunu DN-2000. Even if you haven't owned any of these IEMs but know a bit about them I would appreciate your opinion of what differences there will be between the 2 IEMs. I liked the Shure SE215 but at times the bass was a bit muddy and the treble was lacking a lot. I was happy with the mids on the Shure SE215 but from what i have heard the mids on the Dunu DN-2000 appear to be much better. Once I receive the Dunu DN-2000 and have listened to it for a while I will post a review/comparison between them and the Shure SE215. Lastly I would like to know your opinion about the Dunu DN-2000 and what you loved about it and what you didn't like about it.

All helpful replies will be much appreciated! ((d[-_-]b))

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #3 of 10
I heard both, but at very different times. The SE215 when I was still new to the hobby, with my TF10. At that point of time I found the SE215 presentation enjoyable. It is a very good iem for outside use because of the strong bass. Basically my conclusion at that time was that it's roughly at the same level as my TF10. 

2 years later, I changed to the dn2000. Honestly I haven't heard many iems, but the dn2000 is the most balanced one that I have heard. It was an unquestionable upgrade from the TF10. Retains whatever positive things the TF10 had, but add in better vocals and better bass. And it sounds very natural. Not at the level as the HD600 which remains the most realistic sound I have heard, but still very very convincing sounds emerge from the dn2000. 

If there was one weakness with the dn2000, it would be that I don't enjoy metal using it. It still sounds decent, but I just couldn't get the same level of enjoyment as with other gears. So if metal is the major genre of your music library, I would say think twice. If it's just one or two artist you follow, I fully recommend them, or maybe wait a while longer for the DN2000J. 

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 10
^ what he said.

And consider yourself moving up to an entirely new level (maybe 2-3) upgrading from SE215 to the Dunu DN-2000 . You're not going to know yourself, much cleaner, clearer, stronger technical ability, = more audiophile. Get ready to place your SE215 in storage, forever.

(and I do like SE215)

Feed the Dunu good quality recordings, (I use FLAC only but hey, that's just me) use a decent source and you're pretty much set for a while with the Dunu.

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 10
  I heard both, but at very different times. The SE215 when I was still new to the hobby, with my TF10. At that point of time I found the SE215 presentation enjoyable. It is a very good iem for outside use because of the strong bass. Basically my conclusion at that time was that it's roughly at the same level as my TF10. 

2 years later, I changed to the dn2000. Honestly I haven't heard many iems, but the dn2000 is the most balanced one that I have heard. It was an unquestionable upgrade from the TF10. Retains whatever positive things the TF10 had, but add in better vocals and better bass. And it sounds very natural. Not at the level as the HD600 which remains the most realistic sound I have heard, but still very very convincing sounds emerge from the dn2000. 

If there was one weakness with the dn2000, it would be that I don't enjoy metal using it. It still sounds decent, but I just couldn't get the same level of enjoyment as with other gears. So if metal is the major genre of your music library, I would say think twice. If it's just one or two artist you follow, I fully recommend them, or maybe wait a while longer for the DN2000J. 

Why dont you enjoy metal with the dn2000?

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #6 of 10

Why dont you enjoy metal with the dn2000?

I'm not exactly sure but I have a theory. Perhaps the dn2000 sounds too life-like and clean. Metal benefits from more distortion, which is what the dn2000 lacks. 

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 10

I don't listen to metal but I do listen to edm and and lots of other different types of dance music. I also listen to some vocal and other stuff like pop as well.

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 10
^ what he said.

And consider yourself moving up to an entirely new level (maybe 2-3) upgrading from SE215 to the Dunu DN-2000 . You're not going to know yourself, much cleaner, clearer, stronger technical ability, = more audiophile. Get ready to place your SE215 in storage, forever.

(and I do like SE215)

Feed the Dunu good quality recordings, (I use FLAC only but hey, that's just me) use a decent source and you're pretty much set for a while with the Dunu.
Yes I am so excited to receive it in the mail. These are my first audiophile iem. Do you think the bass is more lighter than the SE215. Is it more balanced and natural.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #10 of 10
Yes I am so excited to receive it in the mail. These are my first audiophile iem. Do you think the bass is more lighter than the SE215. Is it more balanced and natural.

Yes, definitely the bass is lighter in quantity than SE215. It will be more in balance with the mids / highs.

You should notice increased texture and detail in the low end, each note should sound well defined and have a nice amount of speed.

Cleaner bass but less impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back