difference between DAC and amp?
Jan 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 14
DAC and amp two completely different hardware.

DAC = Digital-to-Analog converter
Amp = hardware to increase the power of a signal to physically move the drivers in headphones and speakers

DAC converts digital signal to analog signal bur it doesn't increase the power of the result signal (which is what an amp does). All headphones (sound they produce for you to hear) are analog so any digital information (1's and 0's) stored on CDs, DVDs, music files on a computer must be converted into analog signal in order for audio to be reproduced. By the time a signal reaches your headphone/output jack, the signal is already analog.

So the process goes like this:

Your music is stored using 1's and 0's on your CD/file (digital signal)  -> DAC converts into analog signal -> amp increases the power of resulting analog signal -> Your headphones/speakers use the increased-powered signal to produce sound you can hear.

What you need first depends on what your setup is (source, headphones, etc.) but most likely a good amp would benefit you more, and some DACs comes with a built-in amp.

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 14
I mostly use my ipod, so I'm jsut wondering if dacs or amp run can be used on ipods rather than a computer

also what do you guys think is a good starter amp or dac, I really don't know much but I've read that the pico slim and fiio e7 are good options

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
I mostly use my ipod, so I'm jsut wondering if dacs or amp run can be used on ipods rather than a computer

also what do you guys think is a good starter amp or dac, I really don't know much but I've read that the pico slim and fiio e7 are good options

I am also pretty new on here and recently asked myself this question as well. From my understanding if you want to drive a high impedance phone from your ipod you would need an (portable) amp, the ipod is already converting the digital data to analogue, so to that effect you already have a dac :wink:

what I am wondering is whether there's a way to output the music digitally (ie at the bottom of the ipod) and then lead it to a dac/amp combo (my understanding is that the ipod is pretty pad in terms of sound quality, so that might be a way to improve it)

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Quote:

I am also pretty new on here and recently asked myself this question as well. From my understanding if you want to drive a high impedance phone from your ipod you would need an (portable) amp, the ipod is already converting the digital data to analogue, so to that effect you already have a dac :wink:

what I am wondering is whether there's a way to output the music digitally (ie at the bottom of the ipod) and then lead it to a dac/amp combo (my understanding is that the ipod is pretty pad in terms of sound quality, so that might be a way to improve it)

http://www.headphone.com/accessories/sendstation-ipod-pocket-dock-line-out-mini-usb.php

It is true there are better DAC's out there than the DAC in the ipod, but 5th gen Ipod's original DAC isn't bad if you release its full potential.

http://redwineaudio.com/products/imod

However, if your ipod is not from 4th gen - 5th gen, then yes, you would definitely want dac/amp combo for the worthy sound.

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 14
Also, you should refer to other threads on head-fi regarding this topic. There's one formed since 2009, and another formed since 2007. Very useful information. Another reference is headphone.com:

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 14
An ipod cannot be connected to an external DAC because it only has analog outputs, and no digital ones. Fortunately, there are special docks that are able to take the ipod's digital signal and output it directly without having to use the ipod's DAC.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #11 of 14
Apple iPods do have digital outputs, just like they have line outputs. Apple just happened to combine them into their proprietary licensed dock connector. I'm sure part of the reason is they get a paid royalty (income) for every third party device or even cable on the planet that has a dock connector (or they turn their huge team of lawyers loose to seek injunctions and damages if someone isn't paying the dock connector ransom).

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
Apple iPods do have digital outputs, just like they have line outputs. Apple just happened to combine them into their proprietary licensed dock connector. I'm sure part of the reason is they get a paid royalty (income) for every third party device or even cable on the planet that has a dock connector (or they turn their huge team of lawyers loose to seek injunctions and damages if someone isn't paying the dock connector ransom).

Interesting. That is really clever marketing.

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #13 of 14
Hey guys first of all i want to Say thanks because i read very useful stuff in this post. I wanna ask a few questions. I listen to music on my laptop a 5 year old Sony vaio and i was thinking of getting the Fiio E09K for my ATH-M50X & ATH-700PRO MK2 headphones but i also wanted to buy a DAC. First question(hopingany of you can help me out) can i hook up with the Fiio this DAC(Ligawo 6518824) and also can i hook up my 5.1 stereo subwoofer system to the two devices while listening to music via my laptop. The other question was can i use the fiio and the ligawo dac with my auna 5.1 system or i can listen to amplified and analogic music through my stereo system besides from the headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back