difference between a cd and the music ripped lossless
Dec 7, 2008 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

mrwinick

100+ Head-Fier
With the same headphones, same DAC, same amp, and same interconnects should there be a noticeable difference when the music is played via a computer (ripped lossless) or via a cd in a cd player?

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 42
If you are comparing playing lossless files vs the CD in the same computer CD-ROM, then it's 100% the same.

If it's the difference between a PC transport vs a CD player transport, then things are different and the quality of the output on the CD player and computer come into play and quality depends on them.

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 42
There should not be a difference.
If the CD transport and computer transport both are of comparable quality that is. Bit-perfect, with no sound adjustments turned on.

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #4 of 42
Well, technically there is a difference in bits but sonically, no.

For example, whether your ripping does any error correction.
I know for one that one of my CD's contains errors.

Best bet is using EAC with the FLAC option.

Dec 7, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There shouldn't be. Lossless is the same quality as CD because it's uncompressed.

Well, not because its uncompressed. Because lossless is compressed as well.
But unlike lossy audio there are no psychoacoustic processing as part of the compression/encoding. Meaning that the audio data are compressed without loss.

Dec 7, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

There shouldn't be. Lossless is the same quality as CD because it's uncompressed.

Every time I read any such statement on the net I cringe. CD audio is riddled with errors on the discs. If it wasn't for Solomon-Reed we would have a serious problem. So imagine ripping a CD that has been 'error corrected' by the hardware. Is the rip a true copy of the original data, or a reflection of the eroor corrected data?
But wait, there is more! Not all audio data on a CD is what you imagine it to be. Put for instance a Nora Jones's CD in your PC and then go to File Manager (or Directory Opus in my case). Is that a .dll that I see??? Surely my CD player cannot read driver software? So what is my PC ripping exactly? Individual bits directly off the disc, or information stored in a database of some sort? And what is a video file doing on my Katie Melua CD? My CDP doesn't play it, but my PC does. So is my CD player bit accurate, or my PC 'seeing' data that my CDP can't see?

So this whole bit accurate ripping yarn doesn't quite add up. If what I can play on a CDP off a disc is different in content to what I can play off the same disc on a PC, there is an obvious method in existance to prevent us from ripping a disc bit accurate.

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But unlike lossy audio there are no psychoacoustic processing as part of the compression/encoding. Meaning that the audio data are compressed without loss.

Haha, to make it even more complicated: Depends on what "stage" you look at. If you look at the lossless compressed file that is stored on yoru harddrive then yes, but when it is decoded or gets decoded there is no difference in bits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwinick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the same headphones, same DAC, same amp, and same interconnects should there be a noticeable difference when the music is played via a computer (ripped lossless) or via a cd in a cd player?

No, there is no difference.

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyB1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every time I read any such statement on the net I cringe. CD audio is riddled with errors on the discs. If it wasn't for Solomon-Reed we would have a serious problem. So imagine ripping a CD that has been 'error corrected' by the hardware. Is the rip a true copy of the original data, or a reflection of the eroor corrected data?
But wait, there is more! Not all audio data on a CD is what you imagine it to be. Put for instance a Nora Jones's CD in your PC and then go to File Manager (or Directory Opus in my case). Is that a .dll that I see??? Surely my CD player cannot read driver software? So what is my PC ripping exactly? Individual bits directly off the disc, or information stored in a database of some sort? And what is a video file doing on my Katie Melua CD? My CDP doesn't play it, but my PC does. So is my CD player bit accurate, or my PC 'seeing' data that my CDP can't see?

So this whole bit accurate ripping yarn doesn't quite add up. If what I can play on a CDP off a disc is different in content to what I can play off the same disc on a PC, there is an obvious method in existance to prevent us from ripping a disc bit accurate.

Well, what you mention is a mixed mode CD. And since CDP's only play redbook, they do not shop the other data on the disc.
And sorry, "CD audio is riddled with errors on the discs." is simply wrong. What we all talk and complain about are problems about jitter and **** while reading the disc.

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, you're right. Had a rough night, eyes still closed etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

You're obsessed, lol.
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And sorry, "CD audio is riddled with errors on the discs." is simply wrong.

Stop reading and go and work in a CD pressing plant. Or get some of the Philips test dics with the drilled holes and the blank bars. If there is digital data in those holes I shall eat my hats. Those holes are there to demonstrate how even major data errors still result in an nice sounding audio playback stream. A lot of the audio output you hear can easily be pure fiction, derived from lookup tables embedded in a chip on the CD player PCB. CD is laden with errors, scrbbed clean by error correction. To say otherwise is rewriting the facts.

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Stop reading and go and work in a CD pressing plant. Or get some of the Philips test dics with the drilled holes and the blank bars. If there is digital data in those holes I shall eat my hats. Those holes are there to demonstrate how even major data errors still result in an nice sounding audio playback stream. A lot of the audio output you hear can easily be pure fiction, derived from lookup tables embedded in a chip on the CD player PCB. CD is laden with errors, scrbbed clean by error correction. To say otherwise is rewriting the facts.

I am not saying otherwise, I was just not aware of the fact that we were talking about CD's with more then one hole in it
wink.gif
And I am not sure if working in a CD pressing plant would actually help at all...
Everything you said so far get me to to the conclusion that no matter if we play our CD's through a CDP or rip them using a PC we are getting BS anyway.

What would your suggestion for the TO be?

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not saying otherwise, I was just not aware of the fact that we were talking about CD's with more then one hole in it
wink.gif
And I am not sure if working in a CD pressing plant would actually help at all...
Everything you said so far get me to to the conclusion that no matter if we play our CD's through a CDP or rip them using a PC we are getting BS anyway.

What would your suggestion for the TO be?

My suggestion is to hang up your thinking cap and just enjoy the music. I spent endless hours trying to make mp3 sound impressive and almost as good as 16 bit audio when played via my DAC? You think many cared? Nope. The iPOD generation is not into bit accuracy. Their quest is more about finding the right earbuds or headphones to get that high-end sound from their portable player. Never mind about buying a bit accurate headphone...

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #14 of 42
CD Player
=======
Audio CD -> CD Transport -> S/PDIF Transmitter == S/PDIF ==> DAC

Computer Transport
===============
Lossless File -> Sound Card == S/PDIF ==> DAC

The digital processing is the main factor. For computer audio, you need a decent sound card. A decent external USB sound device such as M-Audio or EMU offers low jitter S/PDIF transmission, given you have a good digital cable.

Dec 7, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Yes, you're right. Had a rough night, eyes still closed etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

He he
No worries, as long as I catch and point you in the right direction.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back