Did we go to the Moon????
Jun 15, 2006 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 110

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
Jun 15, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 110
We supposedly had the technology to land on the moon back in the 60s. It seems pretty fishy to me since we haven't gone back within the last four decades (and no other country has even made an attempt).

Jun 15, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 110
Forgive my scientific ignorance, but would there be a point in going again other than to say "we went to the moon"...? It would cost an astronomical (no pun intended) amount of money and may be for little gain...

Jun 15, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 110
Oh, come on.

Did any of you see that false documentary made by William Karel in 2002 called "operation lune" ? Its theory was that the CIA had asked Kubrick to film a fake landing of the man on the moon. It was very well done, with the collaboration of Kissinger, Buzz Aldrin, Eagleburger, Rumsfeld among others. Many believed it to be true
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
Forgive my scientific ignorance, but would there be a point in going again other than to say "we went to the moon"...? It would cost an astronomical (no pun intended) amount of money and may be for little gain...

We keep making stupid little space trips without much point to them. We are building a stupid little space station that is going to have a short life span.

If we did go, I think it’s foolish to think that we learned everything possible and another trip with today's knowledge and technology wouldn’t be extremely beneficial to the scientific community.

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 110
People who don't think we went to the moon or conspiracy theorist in general just make me laugh. The amount of time and effort it would take to lie to us still after all these years would be astronomical! It would probably be easier to actually go to the moon than for the government to hold a secret like that for 37 years. Occam's razor people, just remember that every time something like this pops up.

As to why we haven't gone back, cost benefit analysis. Huge costs vs unknown benefits along with the fact that there's no more glory to be had. I bet if other countries were constantly going to the moon, we would be to.

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #9 of 110
Stephen Hawking thinks we should go again in order to preserve the human race. Interesting news story just out today:

http://www.zaman.com/?bl=national&alt=&hn=34009

I definitely believe we landed on the moon. I also think it would be kind of silly to go again right now because there's mars, europa, comets, etc to explore that are much more interesting and so much less is known about them. Not to mention the space station and hubble's replacement. I wouldn't call these expeditions silly by any means, although I realize your comment was a little tongue-in-cheek.

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
We supposedly had the technology to land on the moon back in the 60s. It seems pretty fishy to me since we haven't gone back within the last four decades (and no other country has even made an attempt).

Technology is one thing, infrastructure is another. The infrastructure needed to do manned missions to the moon is extremely expensive and such missions are rather dangerous. Given NASA's current budget and it's risk adverse nature, I don't see it happening any time soon.

The "stupid little space trips" you reference are mostly for satellite repair/deployment and zero G experiments. The main purpose of the space stations, besides just to have one there, is to see how man adapts to long term zero G conditions. Either of those are a far better use of limited space resources than trips to the moon.

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #12 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by felixkrull6
People who don't think we went to the moon or conspiracy theorist in general just make me laugh. The amount of time and effort it would take to lie to us still after all these years would be astronomical! It would probably be easier to actually go to the moon than for the government to hold a secret like that for 37 years. Occam's razor people, just remember that every time something like this pops up.

Actually, it's phenomenally easy to keep a secret going. You have three types of people:
Group A: those that believe everything they are told and never question it
Group B: those that believe but will question if information arises contradictory to original info
Group C: those that don't believe what they are told and will believe anything contradictory

With that in mind, once the official story "we went to the moon" is in place, Group A (which, if we are being honest is probably atleast 80% of people) will believe it and continue to believe it regardless of any/all contradictory evidence. Group B (probably about another 18%) will look into the evidence. The majority of them will disregard the new evidence and continue to believe, and a small minority may reverse their initial belief. Group C (the remaing 2% of the population) will devour the contradictory evidence as the "smoking gun". So what you have in effect, assuming it's a secret in the first place, is a self-contained lie that once in place will never be uncovered because the mass majority will continue to believe it anyway.

Add to the equation that a good portion of supposed "experts" already work for NASA or other government agencies, and how hard do you really think it is to keep it a secret?

That said, I do believe we went to the moon. I believe it's what they found on the moon that made them not go back...

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 110
It's all conspiracy bullshiat.

I have a friend who worked at NASA during those missions. About 5 years ago we purchased 2 2" videotape machines from NASA. They were the ones used during the first mission to the moon. They ran the videotape through one machine and looped it to another... thus creating I believe a 8 second delay. This is what fed all 3 networks live... in case something bad happened.

On another note...

The current company I work for now authored the DVD for "A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Moon".

6005.gif

Same conspiracy bs...

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #15 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
Add to the equation that a good portion of supposed "experts" already work for NASA or other government agencies, and how hard do you really think it is to keep it a secret?

Very hard.

Forget about uncovering the secret from the outside, what about all the people actually working for the government itself. This wasn't a small project that only a few people knew about, thousands of people actually had a hand in this project. I'm just saying that the odds of the government being able to maintain this secret, even without outsiders questioning it, is extremely low because of internal factors. The funny thing is that the people who tend to give the government the most credit for maintaining conspiracies also tend to believe that governments are incompetent in all other matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back