Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor?
Mar 15, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #1,036 of 1,046

If I won the lottery, I would love to get these headphones. I would imagine these headphones sound drop dead fantastic and the R/D cost is validated by the sound.:)

Jul 16, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #1,037 of 1,046
If I won the lottery, I would love to get these headphones. I would imagine these headphones sound drop dead fantastic and the R/D cost is validated by the sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

mmm.....when the Orpheus 2 was disclosed (prior to official launch), much controversy was generated by the guesstimate price of USD 45,000.00 (if I remember it correctly). I actually took a sizeable chunk out of my retirement funds and prepared 45k......it was my upper, upper limit for this hobby for a single purchase. When the official price was announced, I was crestfallen. So near and yet so far. With import taxes and shipping, it was just too much for me. So, yeah, just like you, I'm betting on lottery tickets every now and then. So, no HE 1 for me.  

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #1,038 of 1,046
Just to correct the info...the price is €55,000 and that's just the starting price as there are black marble, jade and it goes all the way up to €2,400,000 for a 19K gold unit

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #1,039 of 1,046
  mmm.....when the Orpheus 2 was disclosed (prior to official launch), much controversy was generated by the guesstimate price of USD 45,000.00 (if I remember it correctly). I actually took a sizeable chunk out of my retirement funds and prepared 45k......it was my upper, upper limit for this hobby for a single purchase. When the official price was announced, I was crestfallen. So near and yet so far. With import taxes and shipping, it was just too much for me. So, yeah, just like you, I'm betting on lottery tickets every now and then. So, no HE 1 for me.  

It's a shame they priced it just out of reach for you -- but if you're really serious, I think having 40k ready to go, plus some patience and effort (possibly with a willingness to accept a lightly used set) would yield a good result. I don't think it's a completely bonkers investment, unlike say the hifiman set.

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #1,046 of 1,046
Mm...16k in 1991 dollars is equivalent to 28k in today's dollars (owing to inflation). Still a big difference from 55k. So, charge the difference to R & D, better SQ (I think), markup etc.

Naa, its peoples current 'acceptance' of huge money for the best in the range (of anything). How many people do you know 20 years back that were buying super cars costing 2 years earning+? Now so many average Joe's have one. Yeah, mostly leased, but still the cost is enormous.

This hobby has gone ballistic with prices. And not just HPs of course. Look at DACs. IMO the insane prices for 'top level' DACs may be coming to a close, or a smaller niche. I would not pay 30K+ for a DAC that can be obsolete / beat by a new model at half the price 12 months later. Looking at another hifi product, Goldmund power amplifiers costing 100K+ 10 years back now selling for 18K used.

If the HE-1 is indeed limited release, and they don't bring out another model for say another 15 years, then 'maybe' it would make sense to buy it if you have the discretionary cash and wanted the absolute best HP system ever. But that is not guaranteed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back