Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor?
Sep 4, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #661 of 1,046

People seem to think the HD700 isn't nearly as good a value for its cost as the other two.  Not sure exactly why, you better ask someone who has owned it I suppose, or one of the people who are going around saying so about it.

Anyway I doubt that even a "baby orpheus" (HE60) successor would possibly be priced for under $2000 in this day and age, especially if the rumors about the price of the Orpheus 2 (over FOURTY-GRAND!) are true.  Bare minimum, an HE60 would probably be at least  5000 dollars, so it wouldn't be a competitor in the price-range of the HD800, but rather for things like the STAX SR-009 or the Abyss 1266.

The HD700 is only around 1/3 of the price of the HD800. It has gotten some great reviews. 

Sep 4, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #666 of 1,046
Actually I think the HD-800 is a great design, very good ergonomics and supremely comfortable, in fact IME one of the most comfortable to use for long listening sessions.
The design to me is just a little unconventional, modernistic and different from everything else which makes it immediately recognisable and stand out from the crowd. Also with the latest "ColorWare" versions can look really contemporary and different.

My only real beef is the silver paint finish which unless you take extra care can easily chip.

Quote:

Obviously price would play a big part, but I'd also have to like the look of it, which is why I'd never buy an HD-800 or 700 because I don't like look of them, however I do have an HD-600 which looks similar to the HE-60.

Sep 4, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #668 of 1,046
@ complin,

I've heard the HD-800, and found it to be extremely comfortable, the SQ was OK too, but because of the soundstage, that SQ was a bit too distant for my liking.

The main thing I dislike about the 800 and 700 is the shape of their ear pieces, but the oval shaped ear pieces with some of Sennheiser's headphones is my favourite shape.

Sep 4, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #669 of 1,046
How do you define being able to afford it? Some might say being able to afford it means that you have enough money to buy it, while others might say that a headphone is unaffordable if it costs more than one week's income after tax

*Some* might say just about any words you chose to put in their (imagined) mouths. I'd drop 10K on a vacation. *Some* might say that spending more than one weeks income on a vacation is too much.

My point being that we can come up with an infinite number of relative measures for headphone affordability, but the only ones that matter are our own income and our own perception of value. We could argue the ethics of that spending decision, but that would be tilting at windmills if you look at the world of luxury products.

Sep 4, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #670 of 1,046
@ complin,

I've heard the HD-800, and found it to be extremely comfortable, the SQ was OK too, but because of the soundstage, that SQ was a bit too distant for my liking.

The main thing I dislike about the 800 and 700 is the shape of their ear pieces, but the oval shaped ear pieces with some of Sennheiser's headphones is my favourite shape.

At $1600, the HD800 should sound much better than just okay. One expects okay from a good $50 headphone.

Sep 4, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #671 of 1,046
The hd600, 650, and 800 were winners imo. The hd700 and hd800 amp and amp/dac were not and why you do not hear about them much. The hd800 is very sensitive to the amp and source. I have heard the hd800 not sound so great plenty of times. The hd600 and 800 will always be popular due to the love for it in the pro audio world as well as hifi. Lots of people use those headphones to master the songs you listen to.  

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #672 of 1,046
  The hd600, 650, and 800 were winners imo. The hd700 and hd800 amp and amp/dac were not and why you do not hear about them much. The hd800 is very sensitive to the amp and source. I have heard the hd800 not sound so great plenty of times. The hd600 and 800 will always be popular due to the love for it in the pro audio world as well as hifi. Lots of people use those headphones to master the songs you listen to.  

I have the HD800 and the HDVA600 amp to drive them.  Agree it's not the best (end) amp, but it's not so bad either.  The amp does open up the mids/treble/soundstage in a very nice way.  So for now I'm keeping the HDVA600 and am open to recommendations for a better amp for the HD800.  Not interested in an Orpheus at this point - the HD800 is fine.

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #673 of 1,046

I have the HD800 and the HDVA600 amp to drive them.  Agree it's not the best (end) amp, but it's not so bad either.  The amp does open up the mids/treble/soundstage in a very nice way.  So for now I'm keeping the HDVA600 and am open to recommendations for a better amp for the HD800.  Not interested in an Orpheus at this point - the HD800 is fine.

The HDVA600 is my fav. out of the 3. More average than bad imo.

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #674 of 1,046
  At $1600, the HD800 should sound much better than just okay. One expects okay from a good $50 headphone.

Context matters -- I doubt David1961 is much concerned with $50 headphones here on summit-fi, and compared to his 009/BHSE setup the HD800 do in fact sound "just OK" (if that), even paired with quality amplification (e.g. the famous GS-X Mk II). However, even though they aren't my favorite sound, the HD800 are in fact superb when compared to competition outside of the summit-fi range. And I'll admit they can in fact sound pretty awesome (though still not 009 levels) paired with a good re-cable and exceptional amplification (e.g. an excellent build of a balanced dynahi).

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #675 of 1,046
If the soundstage from HD-800's wasn't so wide, then I'd probably find them to be very good sounding headphones, but as I say the SQ just sounds too distant for my liking.
 009's have soundstage, but not as wide as the 800's, which is why I very much like the 009's.
I also have the HD-600's, and find them to have not much soundstage, if any, so I very much like those headphones, but this is mainly because they're used with a very good amp and source, IMO.

It's down to personal tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back