Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor?
Aug 27, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #106 of 1,046

It's Darth Vadar's head phone and amp.

ph34r.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #110 of 1,046
Interesting that Sennheiser went for electrostatic again rather than Orthos like Audeze, Hifi man etc

I wonder also if they have reused any of the original Orpheus in the new design?

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #111 of 1,046
  Interesting that Sennheiser went for electrostatic again rather than Orthos like Audeze, Hifi man etc

I wonder also if they have reused any of the original Orpheus in the new design?

Orthos are always going to have the weight problem, even though they are getting better, I do think that the weight issue is going to be what eventually consigns them to history. 

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #114 of 1,046
If the reported $40k holds up (and I see no reason why it shouldn't!), that makes it very easy for me. If it had been $10k or maybe even $15k, I could have sold off some other kit and saved up for a while -like, years- and sprung for it if listening to one blew me away to the extent I expected it to do.

At $40k, an SR-009 with any choice of amp will still leave change to furbish a room with acoustic materials, throw in a pair of Linkwitz LX521s and a few insanely overkill amps to power them, plus maxing out my LP12 AND buying a pallet of new albums. And a crate of beer. And a good chair to sit in.

Would still be (surprise!) very interested in trying out Sennheiser's new 'because we can' product, of course.

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #116 of 1,046
True thats why I hardly ever use my Audeze, neck ache and the ear clamping
Also will they be as long lived as stats. Many are still functioning well even after 40 years 

Quote:

Orthos are always going to have the weight problem, even though they are getting better, I do think that the weight issue is going to be what eventually consigns them to history. 

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #119 of 1,046
Hrm...anticipating a massive price on this one. It has a HD800 style headband so maybe it's something like the HD900? I can't honestly see them releasing something for $40,000. Who has money for that? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back