Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor?
Aug 27, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #137 of 1,046
  So no official product shots or specs?

Or price or name?!  
confused.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #140 of 1,046
  And I just finished saving up $3k for an SR-009...

The cheapest you can get the sr9 I thought was around $3600 imported from Japan? Plus you need at least another 5k for a good amp.

If you need to ask the price, you can't afford it, perhaps?

I've been saving for an sr9 setup (probably around 10-12k) so price point is very important. I'd be surprised if Sennheiser didn't try and match a price point of sr9+amp, because that's its direct competition. 

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #141 of 1,046

(1) OK I can relax, sit back and enjoy the show ... waaaaaaaay out of my league
biggrin.gif

(2) Most likely it will take 6-8 hrs to come to a stable temperature. After that it will be rock stable, of course
wink.gif

Think of it this way.  Get yourself a Stax SR009, current price around $4,400, and a Ray Samuels Thunderbolt, current price about $6,500.  That's $10,900.  The new marble, gold, platinum, uranium Senn is 40 grand.  You just saved yourself $29,100!  Go for it!     

The cheapest you can get the sr9 I thought was around $3600 imported from Japan? Plus you need at least another 5k for a good amp.

SR-009's are $2700 new after shipping and customs.

Used SRM-1 MK2 Pro's are $350.

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #142 of 1,046
I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet that this has been a long time coming.  Sennheiser were always rightfully revered as the king of the hill headphone manufacturer before upstarts like Audeze and Hifiman came along and bested Senn at their own game.  Senn were eclipsed years ago, given that their last flagship headphone was the HD800.   Hell, even AKG have released a new flagship since then.

My suspicion is that this successor to the Orpheus is very much Sennheiser responding to those other companies encroaching on their territory with their HE-1000 and their LCD-3s, even Abyss, by saying "No, we are still the most advanced and penultimate headphone company."   They release this new flagship headphone as a statement, a challenge, even, to the rest of the headphone world, reasserting dominance.  

Frankly I am just amazed it took as long as it did for them to come out with something like this.   For the last several years they haven't had much going on other than releasing overpriced, mediocre amp/dacs, overpriced, mediocre headphone cables, and arguably overrated TOTL IEMS (IE800).   

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #143 of 1,046
That's a bit disappointing to me, although it was to be expected: The Orpheus successor is a luxury product and unaffordable.

Warren says "Then don't buy it."

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #144 of 1,046
  I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet that this has been a long time coming.  Sennheiser were always rightfully revered as the king of the hill headphone manufacturer before upstarts like Audeze and Hifiman came along and bested Senn at their own game.  Senn were eclipsed years ago, given that their last flagship headphone was the HD800.   Hell, even AKG have released a new flagship since then.

My suspicion is that this successor to the Orpheus is very much Sennheiser responding to those other companies encroaching on their territory with their HE-1000 and their LCD-3s, even Abyss, by saying "No, we are still the most advanced and penultimate headphone company."   They release this new flagship headphone as a statement, a challenge, even, to the rest of the headphone world, reasserting dominance.  

Frankly I am just amazed it took as long as it did for them to come out with something like this.   For the last several years they haven't had much going on other than releasing overpriced, mediocre amp/dacs, overpriced, mediocre headphone cables, and arguably overrated TOTL IEMS (IE800).   

have you read a review we dont know about? reasserting dominance? lets wait and see

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #146 of 1,046

If you need to ask the price, you can't afford it, perhaps?

Very true.
frown.gif

But what's up with the all-black and black & gold colored HD 800's?

Hopefully, it isn't just some official collabo with ColorWare (but I'm kinda thinking it is). 
mad.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #148 of 1,046
  have you read a review we dont know about? reasserting dominance? lets wait and see

What did I write needs a review to be valid?   I am not talking about what they sound like.   I am talking about the implications of Sennheiser releasing such a headphone at this time.   What it says about Sennheiser, what it says about the headphone world at the moment.  And what is this, if not at attempt to assert superiority?   Every flagship from the big companies is their respective attempt to make a statement to the world about how amazing their headphones can be.   What difference will it make to "wait and see" in regards to what I said?  It's obvious that this will be one of the best headphones in the world.  I don't need to wait for "reviews" to figure that out.   

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #150 of 1,046

That's a bit disappointing to me, although it was to be expected: The Orpheus successor is a luxury product and unaffordable.

Warren says "Then don't buy it."

Who's Warren? Of course I won't (be able to) buy it – that's the disappointment I'm speaking of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back