Did I Get Fake PL-30s?
Oct 29, 2008 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rsxboy

New Head-Fier
Ok so I ordered mine from focalprice and got them today. Everything looks ok, but when I compare the flanges that I got to the ones other people have it's different. I see people with 4 or 6 white flanges. I have a pair of double flanges. Plus, when I try to increase the bass on them, I dont hear a difference.
I dont really get a wow effect like people have been boasting about.

WHAT I RECIEVED:

10-28-08_2325-1.jpg

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 10
There were a few threads about focalpoint though. You most probably got a fake
frown.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 10
i dont know about that....
they are the tips i got,
as far as i can tell they are not fake.... but i havent tried another pair of them, they sound very good for the $20, so nothing to complain about

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 10
These are the same tps I think everybody got ordering these from focalprice. At least I did so too.
So I think they are genuine, since a couple of members here have compared the one's from focalprice to one's from other sources.
Maybe soundmagic changed the tips provided.

I must say I am somewhat puzzled though with the reply from B[van]. This since I have followed all PL30 related posts and nowhere did anyone report to have received fake PL30's. There is no doubt however that some of the other focalprice stuff is fake, some of the prices are just way too low to be genuine.

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 10
Can't tell you for sure, to be honest, but here is a pic of all the tips I got with my PL30s which I got off eBay, from dpmega, who I have been reliably informed sells genuine products..

246rkeq.jpg

Not saying that yours ARE fake, but these are all the tips that came with mine.. Except the bi-flanges, they are on my PL30s which, right now, are in my ex-girlfriend's ears because I'm a nice ex and she needed to study at uni and someone stole her ipod.. I'm sure y'all know what bi-flanges look like
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 10
I am sending an email to SoundMagic to reconfirm my PL-30 (from FocalPrice) is the real deal, which I do believe is. I'll let keep you guys informed.

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #8 of 10
Just got an reply from SoundMagic: First, the PL-30 from FocalPrice looks real enough to them (from picture I took on my PL-30). Second, they haven't find any counterfeit of PL-30 in China so they assume everyone of them should be real.

From my own understanding, SoundMagic don't actively sell their product in the China market, but rather choose to focus on Hong Kong and oversea market, which explains why not much interest from the counterfeiter in faking their product

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #9 of 10
rsxboy: Hi When I put the nobs to bass notch it isn"t a big difference than when on normal notch. Most of us got 3 pair of tips. Black,gray,white 3 pair each plus a double flangeand a soft pair. The important thing is how do they sound. I have a 52.00 and 20.00 pair and some of the tips are a little different between them in color. But they both sound the same. If you like how they sound dont worry about if they are real or not. You paid 20.00 and if they sound better than a 20.00 iem you got a great deal. IMO.

Oct 29, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #10 of 10
I too find it hard to discern between normal and bass-settings, They're quite neutral .. this is coming from a pair of ksc75s .

They do sound good for 20 dollars, better than those horrible JVC fx66s, but they still have a little of that signature IEM harshness in the highs , not bad by all means but it is there and will bug me.

I tried Fx55,Fx66 , Pk3, JBL 220 and X3i , I think normal headphones are still the way to go for me ( which is hard considering it has to be closed)

Edit:

Am I a crazy bass-head? I decreased the treble a notch and increased bass three notches on my Sony DAP.. that has seemed to have done the trick in making these little IEMs to my liking ( plus bass-setting)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back