Did I blow out my headphones?
Jul 21, 2009 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

r34p3rex

New Head-Fier
A few days ago, I noticed that my D2000's emitted a high pitched noise when it was placed near my friend's keyboard cable. I moved it away after a few seconds and didn't think twice about it. A few hours later when I went to use them, the left side did not have any sound at all. I bought these used so there's probably no warranty on it. Am I out of luck? Any idea how much Denon would charge to fix them?

Jul 21, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 19
Electrical current = magnetic field = messes with electronics - was your friend sing a super uber keyboard? with massive current?

Jul 21, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electrical current = magnetic field = messes with electronics - was your friend sing a super uber keyboard? with massive current?

Hmm, it was a pretty standard keyboard. One of those generic $5 keyboards.

Jul 21, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by r34p3rex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, it was a pretty standard keyboard. One of those generic $5 keyboards.

Possibly the insulation on a part of the wiring was stripped -I mean in all honesty I dont think that would even do it because i feel the the magnetic field was very weak.

it might be a wierd coincidence - \have you tried playing around with the wire?

Jul 21, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 19
Are you close to the CERN facility?

Jul 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Possibly the insulation on a part of the wiring was stripped -I mean in all honesty I dont think that would even do it because i feel the the magnetic field was very weak.

it might be a wierd coincidence - \have you tried playing around with the wire?

The wiring looked fine - it was a new keyboard. i still think the speaker was blown out when that high pitched noise was being emitted.. maybe it was some resonant frequency or something? dunno
frown.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 19
I don't think the two are related. You picked up some RFI from the electricity flowing through the keyboard wire. High pitched sounds are much, much less likely to damage a transducer than a loud, low pitched noise. Low frequencies make the cone move a lot and - in the case of something like a square wave - can damage the driver. Usually, by overheating the voice coil and melting the insulation on the wire in the coil, shorting it out. Incidentally, this is the same reason DC offset kills drivers.

I think the reason why your driver went out is because the solder joint where the wire meets the voicecoil broke. That's a common fault with headphones. You can open up the cup and a touch of the soldering iron with a little extra solder should fix it.

P.S. Loved the CERN joke!
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the two are related. You picked up some RFI from the electricity flowing through the keyboard wire. High pitched sounds are much, much less likely to damage a transducer than a loud, low pitched noise. Low frequencies make the cone move a lot and - in the case of something like a square wave - can damage the driver. Usually, by overheating the voice coil and melting the insulation on the wire in the coil, shorting it out. Incidentally, this is the same reason DC offset kills drivers.

I think the reason why your driver went out is because the solder joint where the wire meets the voicecoil broke. That's a common fault with headphones. You can open up the cup and a touch of the soldering iron with a little extra solder should fix it.

P.S. Loved the CERN joke!
biggrin.gif

Hmm, great info there!
smily_headphones1.gif
I will definitely pop it open some time to see if that'll help it. Cheers everyone!

PS. Anyone have a guide to opening D2000's? I'm a noob and don't know anything about these headphones

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by r34p3rex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, great info there!
smily_headphones1.gif
I will definitely pop it open some time to see if that'll help it. Cheers everyone!

PS. Anyone have a guide to opening D2000's? I'm a noob and don't know anything about these headphones

I know you aren't modding your phones (maybe now's a good time? lol) but Markl's page shows you just how to disassemble your Denon's.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...0-mods-299627/

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out
popcorn.gif
!

Jul 23, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #14 of 19
Opened up the headphones, resoldered the wires (they looked fine) and still doesn't work
frown.gif
I took my multimeter and tried measuring the voltage on the two lines, but it only showed up as fluctuating between 0mv and like 10mv. is that normal? Could it be that my cable is shot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back