Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Sep 14, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #6,436 of 7,405
Enjoy your V2 and thanks for sharing your journey on deciding the headphone…we all been there.

The longer I have the Diana Phi version the more I appreciate it, it’s small and can travel with me, and sounds so good and detailed.

I am also lucky enough to have the D8000 too, its character complement the Diana for me, it’s not as detailed but it got a solid bass that wrapped around you and is more engaging and loose and fun.

If you ever have a chance to hear a Bakoon Amp, its current drive amplification is great for planar, but also transform the HD800 too. @Nostoi has one for sale in the classified.
Thanks!
What you described about D8000 is precisely what caught my attention. But I couldn't buy both—some other time. And really, those pads on D8000 put me off of them a bit. Enough to choose V2.
I have pretty good amps, so I think I am more than happy for now. Topping A90, Sennheiser HDVD800, and Auris HA-2 SF is spectacular!

Cheers!

Sep 14, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #6,437 of 7,405
Bouncing between genres, deadmau5 - Traffic - Yes - Billie Eilish - and back again, all sound incredible on this headphone; Smoothness, detail, impact, sparkle, I'm not sure I have the poetry...

Sep 14, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #6,438 of 7,405
Hello. What is the difference between diana v2 and diana phi? I read earlier that v2 also has a phi driver. Is there a difference between them in terms of tuning and technical knowledge? now the v2 is on sale, but the mr came out recently... one gets lost among all these different signs.. v2 or mr is better?

Sep 14, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #6,439 of 7,405
The V2 driver is different from the Phi. Before the current TC, the Phi was the flagship Diana

Sep 15, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #6,440 of 7,405
Bouncing between genres, deadmau5 - Traffic - Yes - Billie Eilish - and back again, all sound incredible on this headphone; Smoothness, detail, impact, sparkle, I'm not sure I have the poetry...
OH, there you are...the guilty one :)
I will most certainly report the impressions...and knobs against the software...yes, please!

Sep 15, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #6,441 of 7,405
The guy second from the back does not know how to wear headphones.

I wonder if it's too late to move the cable to the front of the driver? Shouldn't they point forward or come down in front of you?

9948544.jpg
The man just protects his hair, that's all :wink:

I am on the 48th page, 01.01.2017. The first Diana delivered to a headfier...first impressions of the headfier are greaaaat. There's been a lot going on since 2014. Drama couldn't be avoided, too. :)
I am warming up while waiting, which will be a bit less than those who waited several years for Diana to come out.
It's fun reading it...a "soap opera" could be made out of it...hm, better not. In that case, I would skip it; perhaps a thriller, 5 episodes per season...ten seasons? :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #6,442 of 7,405
anyone using the diana v2 with a nice portable dac/amp?

i find myself wanting to listen to it while walking around / laying and chilling, and not just when i sit on my desk.

i consider the xduoo xd05 bal would love to hear what others use
(i use the diana with a wa7 3rd gen on my desk)
I use an Centrance Hifi-M8 V2 and it's great. Has a full size xlr headphone out, bluetooth, and an eq implementation much like the ifi bass boost. It also seems to have the most power out of portables. I also had the xd05 bal and returned it. It was as good as the M8 to my ears, but didn't have the xlr headphone jack. I would go with whatever headphone cable termination you have.

Sep 19, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #6,445 of 7,405
Hello. What is the difference between diana v2 and diana phi? I read earlier that v2 also has a phi driver. Is there a difference between them in terms of tuning and technical knowledge? now the v2 is on sale, but the mr came out recently... one gets lost among all these different signs.. v2 or mr is better?
The Phi sounds very mid forward to me, too much for my tastes. Not completely unlike a Clear OG with less treble. The v1 chassis with v2 drivers with v3 pads bass ported (first setting, least bass iirc) sounds more balanced (more bass, some upper treble sparkle). Haven't heard MR.

Sep 21, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #6,446 of 7,405
for anyone who consider v2 / mr here is my take:
I got my v2 for 1400ish usd, I have never heard any better headphones to date.
i didnt try any 3k+ headphones but only sub 2k, none of those were better sounding than the v2 where the v2 was far better right away.

the v2 + wa7 actually made me stop my search for endgame.

I am not sure I'd pay 3k myself for a single pair of headphones but for the v2 performance, I'd say they are not overpriced at their msrp, so if you find a bargain, dont think twice.

I was considering a budget dac/amp (mostly the xduoo bal) but decided to aim for a higher tier portable dac/amp to be as pleased as I am on my desktop with the wa7 - any suggestions would be much welcomed!

edit: I recently added a hd 280 headband replacement from aliexpress and the diana v2 went from decent comfort to super comfy! I recommend that headband instead of glueing a headband to the headband's material.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #6,448 of 7,405
Seems it's still so hard to get any comparison between Diana V2 and Diana MR. Wonder how Abyss tune the MR.
Abyss website states the MR doesn't ship until the end of this month. But, I would have thought some review ones are out there. Curious about the comparison as well.

Sep 21, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #6,449 of 7,405
Review sets are just beginning to get out there. We'll do a comparison video with Diana MR and our other models at some point in the not so distant future. We wanted it to be a different sound compared to anything else, still an ABYSS headphone with a very unique signature.

MR presents a full yet impactful bass, as in you really notice attack, natural clear mids that are a bit more intimate than our other models, smooth transition through the highs, clear yet not overly detailed. If you know high-end speakers, its sort of like listening to a 3 way speaker system and two 8" subs in a lively well controlled room with perfect crossover transitions from sub to woofer to mid to tweeter:).

Add to that very low distortion (<0.2%), 30 ohms Z, relatively flat frequency response (will publish measurements soon). MR sounds good with a $50 USB dongle, or a dCS Lina stack, very universal in its presentation, not as particular to the electronics.

Also, the headband interior has been redesigned for greater flexibility and comfort. It contours to your head shape to a way higher degree that past Diana models. Combined with the latest gen ear pads, fitment is quite comfy. Add a set of bass ported UltraSuede (vegan) ear pads, fuller bottom end, larger soundstage, slightly smoother presentation through the highs, ludicrous comfort.

ABYSS_SMILEY_1266.png

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back