Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Sep 12, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #6,422 of 7,443
Anyone mind giving their opinion on this dilema that I have. I own the V2 and generally feel I want more bass. I am trying to decide if investing in the 249 bass ported pads are worth it or better buy a Shiit Loki Mini and just use that to increase bass. I feel long term the Loki might be a better investment for my other headphones, but not sure what to do.

Any one with an opinion on this bass ported pads that mind giving me any pointers.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #6,423 of 7,443
Anyone mind giving their opinion on this dilema that I have. I own the V2 and generally feel I want more bass. I am trying to decide if investing in the 249 bass ported pads are worth it or better by a Shiit Loki Mini and just use that to increase bass. I feel long term the Loki might be a better investment for my other headphones, but not sure what to do.

Any one with an opinion on this bass ported pads that mind giving me any pointers.
the Suede bass ported pads would definitely up the bass of the V2. I was told this by a member of Abyss headphone as its does something similar for my Diana TC.

Sep 13, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #6,424 of 7,443
Anyone mind giving their opinion on this dilema that I have. I own the V2 and generally feel I want more bass. I am trying to decide if investing in the 249 bass ported pads are worth it or better buy a Shiit Loki Mini and just use that to increase bass. I feel long term the Loki might be a better investment for my other headphones, but not sure what to do.

The bass ported earpad will never hurt the dynamic range your V2 have. Not to mention this earpad will also "boost" soundstage a bit.

Sep 13, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #6,425 of 7,443
Yes you are entirely right and it’s a good argument on going for the pads. I will not modify the overall headphone sound signature. Which might indeed be affect with the Loki.

Thank you

Sep 13, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #6,426 of 7,443
Yes you are entirely right and it’s a good argument on going for the pads. I will not modify the overall headphone sound signature. Which might indeed be affect with the Loki.

Thank you
While I don't have a Loki, I do use a RME ADI-2 fs dac which has EQ. When I listen to my V2 with the seude ported pads, I prefer the EQ off.
Now, of course, Abyss pads are expensive so you could argue that a Loki purchase is more sensible.
I have purchased both leather and suede ported pads directly from Abyss and do admit the purchase was a little difficult to rationalize. Still, I do enjoy them.

Sep 13, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #6,427 of 7,443
While I don't have a Loki, I do use a RME ADI-2 fs dac which has EQ. When I listen to my V2 with the seude ported pads, I prefer the EQ off.
Now, of course, Abyss pads are expensive so you could argue that a Loki purchase is more sensible.
I have purchased both leather and suede ported pads directly from Abyss and do admit the purchase was a little difficult to rationalize. Still, I do enjoy them.
Do you mind giving me you personal opinion regarding the ported pads suede vs leather? I was also debating in between that.

Sep 13, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #6,428 of 7,443
Do you mind giving me you personal opinion regarding the ported pads suede vs leather? I was also debating in between that.
To my ears, the leather ported pads are similar to the stock pads but with boost bass and a slight increase to sound stage. The suede pads do the same but also sooth the treble a bit and may have a slightly more increase to sound stage comparedto the leather ported pads.
I find the suede pads warmer and better for any poorly recorded albums. I have tinnitus so the suede pads are less fatiguing.
In other words, the leather ported pads are party pads whereas the suede pads are chill out pads.
Hope that helps.
Cheers

Sep 13, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #6,429 of 7,443
To my ears, the leather ported pads are similar to the stock pads but with boost bass and a slight increase to sound stage. The suede pads do the same but also sooth the treble a bit and may have a slightly more increase to sound stage comparedto the leather ported pads.
I find the suede pads warmer and better for any poorly recorded albums. I have tinnitus so the suede pads are less fatiguing.
In other words, the leather ported pads are party pads whereas the suede pads are chill out pads.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Nicely put.

Sep 13, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #6,430 of 7,443
Hope that helps.
Cheers
But also keep in mind that bass boost from the ported pads is more subtle compared to what can be achieved with EQ.

Sep 14, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #6,431 of 7,443
Hello,

I would share my excitement on Monday-Tuesday, but why not even before? I ordered Diana V2, and the headphones are on the way.

I didn't plan to buy any new headphones, not anytime soon, because just before Summer, I purchased HD 800S and HD 820; I thought that was insane, but I did it. Not long ago, maybe a month ago, I bought HD 660S2...yes yes, I am a Sennheiser fan. :) They are just so great; what can I say.
And a couple of days ago, I saw a good deal for V2. Hmm, that was not good, I thought; here we go again.

I have to admit when I saw the first Abyss, I was so sceptical and wasn't an instant fan. I like bulky headphones for that price, and Abyss didn't look like that, not even close.
An interesting design, but...

At the same time, I was looking at Final D8000 and thought, perhaps one day, because I wanted some great planar. I own Monolith 1060C, and I love them, and there started my joy for planars. So, if they are so good, how good would high-tier planars sound to me? Audeze were there too to consider.

As time passed, somehow, I started liking the look of Diana more. It was always an interesting design for me, but it was small. When I saw this offer, the addiction started to itch me. I said to my wife, and she, as always, asked...buying? I sad, no, no...just looking :) Yeah, right, and we were on it. BUT...Head-Fi is here with their advertising...and I saw something familiar in the corner of the screen, and then I remembered Final; I completely forgot about them. And there started the trouble... a dilemma. It was almost easy, but now choosing which one to get became difficult.

I went Googling again and saw a deal for Final from a seller where I had already bought HD 800S and Amplifier. Bad. I wanted not to find a good deal :)

My wife and I contacted the dealer (fantastic guy to deal with, HAA) for V2, but I couldn't resist reading more reviews. And guess what... online, Final had better reviews. Not only that, but that Australian guy did some serious criticism and said he wouldn't recommend V2. HUH...I was in trouble. Final is terrific, but is V2 that bad?

Probably five or six times, I changed the decision which to order. :)

We were one click away from ordering Final, but then a guy on Head-Fi answered a couple of my questions about V2 and then...I said to my wife, wait! We are taking V2 haha.

Another thing that helped me decide was the people on this thread! I read comments in the Final thread and this one. And I was a bit confused because when you read people's comments in the Final thread, I couldn't find the excitement of having those headphones. And when I read the comments of those of you who own V2, I found so much excitement in having these fabulous headphones!

So, a little story...perhaps fun to read, perhaps not...I am genuinely excited now. Hopefully, on Monday, I will listen to them (black version). :)

Cheers!

Sep 14, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #6,432 of 7,443
Hello,

I would share my excitement on Monday-Tuesday, but why not even before? I ordered Diana V2, and the headphones are on the way.

I didn't plan to buy any new headphones, not anytime soon, because just before Summer, I purchased HD 800S and HD 820; I thought that was insane, but I did it. Not long ago, maybe a month ago, I bought HD 660S2...yes yes, I am a Sennheiser fan. :) They are just so great; what can I say.
And a couple of days ago, I saw a good deal for V2. Hmm, that was not good, I thought; here we go again.

I have to admit when I saw the first Abyss, I was so sceptical and wasn't an instant fan. I like bulky headphones for that price, and Abyss didn't look like that, not even close.

At the same time, I was looking at Final D8000 and thought, perhaps one day, because I wanted some great planar. I own Monolith 1060C, and I love them, and there started my joy for planars. So, if they are so good, how good would high-tier planars sound to me? Audeze were there too to consider.

As time passed, somehow, I started liking the look of Diana more. It was always an interesting design for me, but it was small. When I saw this offer, the addiction started to itch me. I said to my wife, and she, as always, asked...buying? I sad, no, no...just looking :) Yeah, right, and we were on it. BUT...Head-Fi is here with their advertising...and I saw something familiar in the corner of the screen, and then I remembered Final; I completely forgot about them. And there started the trouble... a dilemma. It was almost easy, but now choosing which one to get became difficult.

I went Googling again and saw a deal for Final from a seller where I had already bought HD 800S and Amplifier. Bad. I wanted not to find a good deal :)

My wife and I contacted the dealer (fantastic guy to deal with, HAA) for V2, but I couldn't resist reading more reviews. And guess what... online, Final had better reviews. Not only that, but that Australian guy did some serious criticism and said he wouldn't recommend V2. HUH...I was in trouble. Final is terrific, but is V2 that bad?

We were one click away from ordering Final, but then a guy on Head-Fi answered a couple of my questions about V2 and then...I said to my wife, wait! We are taking V2 haha.

Another thing that helped me decide was the people on this thread! I read comments in the Final thread and this one. And I was a bit confused because when you read people's comments in the Final thread, I couldn't find the excitement of having those headphones. And when I read the comments of those of you who own V2, I found so much excitement in having these fabulous headphones!

So, a little story...perhaps fun to read, perhaps not...I am genuinely excited now. Hopefully, on Monday, I will listen to them (black version). :)

Cheers!
I don’t think you will be disappointed. They are very very good. Very comfortable at least to me, I did put the pad in the headband because I wanted to raise them a little. But they are very good headphones. You will enjoy them for sure.

Sep 14, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #6,433 of 7,443
Hello,

Cheers!
I truly hope you enjoy the V2. It seems the Abyss and Diana are love 'em or hate 'em.
Before I got my V2, my only planar experience was with Hifiman Sundara and Audeze LCD-2 closed and I just didn't enjoy them in addition the Audeze were heavy.
When I first listened to the V2, the sound signature was initially 'odd' to me. I continued to listen and also burn in the V2. Then in a short amount of time, I fell in love with them.
So, if at first listen they seem 'odd' to you, give them some time and see if you grow to love them as well.
Or they might just be love at first listen.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #6,434 of 7,443
Hello,

Cheers!
Enjoy your V2 and thanks for sharing your journey on deciding the headphone…we all been there.

The longer I have the Diana Phi version the more I appreciate it, it’s small and can travel with me, and sounds so good and detailed.

I am also lucky enough to have the D8000 too, its character complement the Diana for me, it’s not as detailed but it got a solid bass that wrapped around you and is more engaging and loose and fun.

If you ever have a chance to hear a Bakoon Amp, its current drive amplification is great for planar, but also transform the HD800 too. @Nostoi has one for sale in the classified.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #6,435 of 7,443
I truly hope you enjoy the V2. It seems the Abyss and Diana are love 'em or hate 'em.
Before I got my V2, my only planar experience was with Hifiman Sundara and Audeze LCD-2 closed and I just didn't enjoy them in addition the Audeze were heavy.
When I first listened to the V2, the sound signature was initially 'odd' to me. I continued to listen and also burn in the V2. Then in a short amount of time, I fell in love with them.
So, if at first listen they seem 'odd' to you, give them some time and see if you grow to love them as well.
Or they might just be love at first listen.
To be honest, the odd thing you mentioned really intrigues me. I want them to be "odd" :) I don't have any particular sound in mind I would expect...I will be thrilled even more if they are that different...as you say, odd :)
I am not an audiophile, just extremely addicted to my preferred music. So, every sound is mostly good to me unless something is not right...like bloating bass, etc. If the sound is perfectly right...odd is a good thing for me...I will most certainly love them!

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back