Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Mar 20, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #5,237 of 7,571
DTC with vents added between earcup and driver adds a significant amount of bass strength but also adds shoutiness to mids. Been messing with EQ to reduce the shout with some success. Wondering if anyone else has tried mods. This also worked to a lesser degree on my DV2.

Attachments

• _DSF1961.JPG
    _DSF1961.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 0
  • _DSF1962.JPG
    _DSF1962.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 0
Mar 21, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #5,238 of 7,571
Hi. I just got some Diana Phi after leaving the iem world, we’ll at least I switched up the Traillii for the Diana Phi. I currently only have a Shanling M8 DAP that is seeming a bit under powered but still sounds pretty good.
That said, I’m planning to buy the Woo Audio WA7 gen 3 when it’s back in stock this week.
Finances are a bit tight so my plan is to get the WA7 and get a cheap tablet to run UAPP, taking advantage of the WA7 dac and sell the Shanling to recoup a bit.

Any advice on this plan?
BTW, I already have some fantastic upgrade tubes from back in my two channel days. Some Phillips Miniwatt SQ 7316’s and some Bugle Boys as well.

Mar 21, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #5,239 of 7,571
I can imagine Trailli owner will easily appreciate hifiman susvara or meze elite due to airy and sweetness from both headphones.

Diana Phi, while present midrange nicely upfront, but overall characters are more to technical, precise, and a bit dry to achieve high accuracy in sound.

Pairing will tube amp definitely help to sweeten the Diana. Haven't tested the WA7 though, but I'm a fan of tube amp with Diana, for example ultrasonic oblivion (that I think way better pairing than Formula S), or auris ha-2sf.

Mar 21, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #5,240 of 7,571
Is the Diana TC far easier to drive than previous Diana’s?

Mar 21, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #5,241 of 7,571
Is the Diana TC far easier to drive than previous Diana’s?

Afaik, Diana Phi (32 ohm) is the easiest to drive, then Diana V2 (42 ohm), and Diana TC (69 ohm) as the hardest. DTC has 90 dB sensitivity while Diana V2 and Phi at 91dB if I remember correctly. In general DTC is the hardest to drive, but perhaps some amps have peak power at 50 ohm-70 ohm, so I think the final answer is depend on your system.

Mar 21, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #5,242 of 7,571
I can imagine Trailli owner will easily appreciate hifiman susvara or meze elite due to airy and sweetness from both headphones.

Diana Phi, while present midrange nicely upfront, but overall characters are more to technical, precise, and a bit dry to achieve high accuracy in sound.

Pairing will tube amp definitely help to sweeten the Diana. Haven't tested the WA7 though, but I'm a fan of tube amp with Diana, for example ultrasonic oblivion (that I think way better pairing than Formula S), or auris ha-2sf.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve often wondered about the Susvara but that and the likely amp would need are quite a bit above my budget.
I am quite pleased so far with the Diana Phi and today ordered the WA7 and I’m really hoping it will do what I suspect it will and improve over the M8.

The Traillii was special but it’s still an iem and just the physical aspect of headphone bass is something no iem can really do including the new “kinetic bass” models from Fir Audio.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #5,243 of 7,571
I saw the YouTube video where they were discussing the new pads for the Diana. They mention it’s a comfort thing not a sound improvement. It’s this the sentiment of those that have tried both. I’m not having any discomfort from the pads but I do think larger pads would seal a bit better.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #5,244 of 7,571
Thanks for the reply. I’ve often wondered about the Susvara but that and the likely amount would need are quite a bit above my budget.
I am quite pleased so far with the Diana Phi and today ordered the WA7 and I’m really hoping it will do what I suspect it will and improve over the M8.

The Traillii was special but it’s still an iem and just the physical aspect of headphone bass is something no iem can really do including the new “kinetic bass” models from Fir Audio.

Agree, Trailli has quite lovely sounding, along with Phonix, they are two best IEM in the market (personal preference of course).

I saw the YouTube video where they weee discussing the new pads for the Diana. They mention it’s a comfort thing not a sound improvement. It’s this the sentiment of those that have tried both. I’m not having any discomfort from the pads but I do think larger pads would seal a bit better.

The newest pad does change sound a little compared to previous pad at year 2020. More linearity with newer pad, which is nice. Also comfort improve by margin too.

Mar 22, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #5,245 of 7,571
Agree, Trailli has quite lovely sounding, along with Phonix, they are two best IEM in the market (personal preference of course).

The newest pad does change sound a little compared to previous pad at year 2020. More linearity with newer pad, which is nice. Also comfort improve by margin too.

Thanks. I’d agree that if I could have 2 totl iems they would be the Phönix and the Traillii. I heard the Phönix as part of a tour and it was excellent.

Thanks for the impressions about the pads. I think I might try them.

Mar 23, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #5,248 of 7,571
In a chain of XI Audio Formula S > Diana TC > Moon Audio XLR, what would purchasing the JPS SC cable bring? Whilst I would not buy a new one, I would be open to picking up a used cable if it brings with it notable benefit.

Mar 23, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #5,249 of 7,571
o`o
In a chain of XI Audio Formula S > Diana TC > Moon Audio XLR, what would purchasing the JPS SC cable bring? Whilst I would not buy a new one, I would be open to picking up a used cable if it brings with it notable benefit.

Fuller body with wider soundstage. However, for the money (brand new price of SC) I'd rather saving up for Powerman.

Mar 23, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #5,250 of 7,571
the powerman is a must if you want to get the most out of the amp...I agree it is a more important update than the cable for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back