Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Mar 28, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #5,266 of 7,355
Ok, what did you audition the Broadway with?

I was surprised how "only" 1.5w sound with all my planars. The only headphone that couldn't be powered off this was the Adorama HE6 and so far Ive had Arya Stealth, LCD XC and 2 closed, Sundara, Diana V2 and Phi. Its a great sounding amp.
He's not saying the Broadway is inadequate, just pointing out how the V281 was deemed "wimpy" and "obsolete" by Joe... when it has twice the power of the amp he's promoting.

Mar 28, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #5,267 of 7,355
Ok, what did you audition the Broadway with?

I was surprised how "only" 1.5w sound with all my planars. The only headphone that couldn't be powered off this was the Adorama HE6 and so far Ive had Arya Stealth, LCD XC and 2 closed, Sundara, Diana V2 and Phi. Its a great sounding amp.
I think you are missing some of the background. He was specifically calling Joe on BS since joe said a more powerful amp didnt have enough power to properly evaluate DTC while they recommend a less powerful one for the cans themselves.

Mar 28, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #5,270 of 7,355
Is Joe actively trying to bring his own brand’s reputation down?

Consistently seems like it to me. Some things are not worth fighting for if it hurts your brand image, let @WaveTheory enjoy his gear as it is absolutely fine stuff.

I can be mean about the Abyss headphone I’ve owned too, but I choose not to & don’t take things too personal in this hobby - it’s never worth it.

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 28, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #5,271 of 7,355
Is Joe actively trying to bring his own brand’s reputation down?
rofl. Every time I watch an abyss video or interact with the brand I wish joe would just go hide and be happy he is making money instead of making me detest the brand that makes cans I genuinely enjoy

Mar 28, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #5,272 of 7,355
Never heard it. I didn't mean to imply it's bad or insufficient. To me personally it seems perfectly fine with a Diana.
For sure. Ive just read a couple of posts questioning the Broadway's output and while I was also skeptical of the low wattage Im quite happy with it.
I asked why do the guys at Abyss use the GSX Mini in their personal rigs vs the Broadway? Didn't really get an answer from them besides that they're both good. But why choose the Mini over its "matching" amp?

I decided to go for the Broadway since I found a good deal on the classifieds and also when I experienced brown outs the battery back up came in handy along with my battery powered DAC. It seems like most Broadway owners enjoy the sound but looking at the internals of the Formula S and Powerman is very disconcerting,

Mar 28, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #5,273 of 7,355
along with my battery powered DAC.
Mind if I ask what dac? I'm kind of obsessed with "portable" setups and I'm currious about anything good and battery powered. Only battery powered dac I can think of is the bakoon dac-21 but those are basically just impossible to find tbh

Mar 28, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #5,274 of 7,355
rofl. Every time I watch an abyss video or interact with the brand I wish joe would just go hide and be happy he is making money instead of making me detest the brand that makes cans I genuinely enjoy
I appreciate the outspoken nature Joe presents; we all may express discourse and at least Joe has the balls to share his opinion.

Mar 28, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #5,275 of 7,355
I appreciate the outspoken nature Joe presents; we all may express discourse and at least Joe has the balls to share his opinion.
His opinions aren't my issue with him at all. It's the way his reacts to criticism and is constantly talking over his sons (who I regularly feel are making more interesting points in the videos anyways).

Mar 28, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #5,276 of 7,355
His opinions aren't my issue with him at all. It's the way his reacts to criticism and is constantly talking over his sons (who I regularly feel are making more interesting points in the videos anyways).
Horses. :wink:

Mar 28, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #5,277 of 7,355
Mind if I ask what dac? I'm kind of obsessed with "portable" setups and I'm currious about anything good and battery powered. Only battery powered dac I can think of is the bakoon dac-21 but those are basically just impossible to find tbh
Nothing fancy. Just an iFi Diablo which is good but I definitely notice a difference when using my desktop gear.

Mar 28, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #5,278 of 7,355
Nothing fancy. Just an iFi Diablo which is good but I definitely notice a difference when using my desktop gear.
Ah that makes sense. I read that as a battery powered stand alone dac and got super excited for a second 😅

Mar 28, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #5,279 of 7,355
@Svstem my comments concerning the V281 concerns it's sonic character.

Have you seen measurements of the V281? Google it.
Notice how it begins to roll below 100 Hz. That doesn't;t bode well for low frequency extension and definition. Notice how it's output power drops with decreasing impedance. This is a soldi state amp, but it doesn't act like one, and it certainly wasn't designed for planars of today.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Mar 28, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #5,280 of 7,355
@Joe Skubinski

So 2 dB of roll-off at 20 Hz is enough to turn his review into, to quote you, "useless blabber"?

I understand your vested interest in positive reviews, but your belittling response to that user's impressions further fuels your company's PR disaster.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back