Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Feb 4, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #5,086 of 7,571
Is it possible that the GSX-mini is not enough to drive the Diana TC on balanced XLR with JPS superconductor?
I've been running it for 20+hours and find it lacking clarity and punch.
Whereas my Arya really sings and provides much better intent on each note attack which I find rather strange and am more questionning my source than the cans themselves.

Tidal --> Chord QUTEST --> GSX Mini (XLR balanced) --> XLR JPS SC --> Diana TC --> my ears

Would love some advice :)
Try with Qobuz instead of Tidal.

Feb 5, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #5,087 of 7,571
I have been taking notes for the past week, i'll report next week on my overall impressions on Diana TC & Diana V2 vs Arya.
I took the V2 yesterday outside with the XDSD Gryphon, it was a treat :)

Any updates here? I forgot ask which Arya do you use?

My biggest question has been do the DTC have better resolution and punch than the Arya.

I have the 2nd generation Arya but I have been in search of something even more detailed.

I’ve begun to think there’s very little outside of a 1266 or Susvara capable of achieving this.

Feb 5, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #5,088 of 7,571

My biggest question has been do the DTC have better resolution and punch than the Arya.

I have the 2nd generation Arya but I have been in search of something even more detailed.

I’ve begun to think there’s very little outside of a 1266 or Susvara capable of achieving this.
Throw LCD-5 in there too.

Feb 5, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #5,089 of 7,571

Never heard either but that is a silly question. Definitely the TC just by going off of impressions from both.

Feb 5, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #5,090 of 7,571
Never heard either but that is a silly question. Definitely the TC just by going off of impressions from both.
That’s what I’ve heard. I have not pulled the trigger on a TC just because I have not heard one.

I have a D90SE and a A90 as my build and I’ve had them for before even Josh got his hands on them to review.

I prefer a neutral sound signature with little coloration.

Feb 5, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #5,091 of 7,571
The TC then for sure. I run the 1266 off of that stack and it's really neutral but you can color it with a bit of positioning. Both the TC drivers are FAST. There's really no taming them, regardless of amplification. A lot of people find the Arya lacking in resolution while boosting its high frequencies. Believe Josh calls this that "plasticky timbre"

If you wanted more bass and resolution than the Arya then the DTC is on your radar. You'd only be sacrificing some soundstage. I want you to know that the A90 has a limit on the current though because this amp clips on me a lot. The "clip" I'm referring to is when the amp makes a click sound then goes silent for a few seconds, then clicks back on. Only happens with really low bass so I assume that it can't deliver enough current for the thirsty TC. I would say at this level you will want a Class A, steering away from that THX and NFCA stuff.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #5,092 of 7,571
The TC then for sure. I run the 1266 off of that stack and it's really neutral but you can color it with a bit of positioning. Both the TC drivers are FAST. There's really no taming them, regardless of amplification. A lot of people find the Arya lacking in resolution while boosting its high frequencies. Believe Josh calls this that "plasticky timbre"

If you wanted more bass and resolution than the Arya then the DTC is on your radar. You'd only be sacrificing some soundstage. I want you to know that the A90 has a limit on the current though because this amp clips on me a lot. The "clip" I'm referring to is when the amp makes a click sound then goes silent for a few seconds, then clicks back on. Only happens with really low bass so I assume that it can't deliver enough current for the thirsty TC.

Then yeah that doesn't surprise me at all. I'll definitely order one soon then.

Feb 5, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #5,093 of 7,571
One more question how would you compare the DTC to the 1266. My biggest issue with 1266 is I haven't seen a vertical height adjustment for the 1266 which the Diana has.

The weight wouldn't bother me as much I'm sure I'm a welder IRL and I'm used to wearing a helmet that's more than twice the weight of the 1266 for 10 hours at a time so that's not a issue.

I'm assuming they're pretty close sonically since they both use the same driver aside from the sound stage.

Feb 5, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #5,094 of 7,571
The 1266 bass will have a more roomy feel to it with the sub bass resonance. It's really deep and subwoofer like. It's also more open so it gives more depth to the soundstage whereas the DTC has more material blocking the exit of the back wave and it closer to the ear. Abyss emailed me and said tonally they are similar. It's mostly the bass and soundstage that changes, though the DTC may be a hair faster due to slightly smaller driver size. These are scaling monsters. A90 will not do them justice but stands as a mighty fine makeshift.

Weight is not an issue and, imo, never will be unless they're like 3 pounds or something lol.

For the height adjustment I found the V2 to be really big even at default position. You'd have to have the biggest head to need to adjust the length. For 1266 changing or stretching the O-rings will adjust the height.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #5,095 of 7,571
While these subjective headphone comparisons are interesting, I really think people have to consider their amplification as well as what source they're using. Abyss headphones demand topnotch sources and amps to sound their best, IMHO. Additionally, the sound changes depending on gear as well; eg., tube amps sound different from SS. For me personally, the sound of a tube amp (with some upgraded tubes) and a very good DAC is sublime and just relaxes my brain after a challenging work day - it's addictive.

:L3000: :L3000: :L3000:

Feb 5, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #5,096 of 7,571

Don't assume. Its much harder to get adequate punch out of dtc than arya. If OP heavily cares about punch i wouldn't realy req either option in favor of basically any of the other flag ships (utopia, sus, lcd-5, 1266. Etc)

Feb 5, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #5,097 of 7,571
That’s what I’ve heard. I have not pulled the trigger on a TC just because I have not heard one.

I have a D90SE and a A90 as my build and I’ve had them for before even Josh got his hands on them to review.

I prefer a neutral sound signature with little coloration.

Diana is going to be a straight up traditional sounding headphone. v2/phi/DTC....you might as well be talking about difference in the HD6series. DTC was never going to be that much different if at all from the previous 2.. Bass and detail is better on the Arya. Abyss is selling you a nicely built headphone(diana), but it does not have some sort of mystical sound that you can't get from another headphone. A90 is way over kill and it will not clip. LCD5 has similar FR and they can actually make a driver that doesn't distort to kingdom come in a similar form factor that is even easier to drive. Just something to consider..

Feb 5, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #5,098 of 7,571
Don't assume. Its much harder to get adequate punch out of dtc than arya. If OP heavily cares about punch i wouldn't realy req either option in favor of basically any of the other flag ships (utopia, sus, lcd-5, 1266. Etc)
Before we're dragged into the China hi-fi-bologna, DTC is very adequate top to bottom.

Maybe that's the CFA3 talking. :grin:

Feb 5, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #5,099 of 7,571
Before we're dragged into the China hi-fi-bologna, DTC is very adequate top to bottom.

Maybe that's the CFA3 talking. :grin:

Yes. I think its perfectly adequate. Its got enough slam and bass for me on my 13R and on some of the other higher power stuff I've used it on. But I think if OP is distinctly indexing for raw slam the headphones listed above do it better than dtc.

Feb 5, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #5,100 of 7,571
Yes. I think its perfectly adequate. Its got enough slam and bass for me on my 13R and on some of the other higher power stuff I've used it on. But I think if OP is distinctly indexing for raw slam the headphones listed above do it better than dtc.
They do say... TC rules!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back