Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Dec 29, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #3,121 of 7,372
Hello guys, I am thinking about getting either diana v2 or diana phi. I read about them and watched some videos and found really different objective opinion about these. Some people said that diana v2 have an elevated low end with more oomph while some said that phi has better and stronger bass. I would prefer the one with stronger bass as I am pretty sure that quality wise both of them would be extremely good.

Right now I have hifiman Arya which I absolutely love. A comparison (if possible) would be appreciated.

Who knows, I cant find a FR chart of the V2 to compare to the Phi.

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #3,126 of 7,372
Hello guys, I am thinking about getting either diana v2 or diana phi. I read about them and watched some videos and found really different objective opinion about these. Some people said that diana v2 have an elevated low end with more oomph while some said that phi has better and stronger bass. I would prefer the one with stronger bass as I am pretty sure that quality wise both of them would be extremely good.

Right now I have hifiman Arya which I absolutely love. A comparison (if possible) would be appreciated.

Honestly it depends on what you have to drive them. If you have a quality SS amp, the bass for the V2 and Phi are pretty comparable. I've heard all three but the bass between them don't really differentiate them from each other. Currently I'm using the Phi and it's very detailed and will hit hard when the song calls for it. If you're looking for a headphone that will have more bass regardless of the song, maybe V2 will be the one to look at. Both have fast planar bass though so if you want more impact, generally dynamics give you more of that. When I tested the Arya, there was a good amount of bass but nothing remarkable with quality. I'm not sure if that helps but I would suggest looking at the rest of the tonal balance when comparing V2 with Phi rather than just bass.

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #3,127 of 7,372
I had it running that way for a while (just RME). Just got the A90 but haven't has the time to do a proper comparison. I'll report back once I do at some point.
Regardless, it works well and will sound great.

Curious how the RME headphone out compared to the RME + A90. Not sure if you've had a chance to do a full comparison, but would be interested in your results.

Dec 30, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #3,128 of 7,372
Honestly it depends on what you have to drive them. If you have a quality SS amp, the bass for the V2 and Phi are pretty comparable.
I have an SMSL SP200/M200 stack. I am not sure if it is good enough for Phi (or even V2)
Both have fast planar bass though so if you want more impact, generally dynamics give you more of that. When I tested the Arya, there was a good amount of bass but nothing remarkable with quality. I'm not sure if that helps but I would suggest looking at the rest of the tonal balance when comparing V2 with Phi rather than just bass.
I am not only after bass quantity as I also have LCD-2C which have this impactful bass but I prefer Arya over them because of their holographic bass which surrounds you. Bass is the first thing which I notice in a headphone so I asked specifically for it. Regarding rest of the spectrum, As a treble sensitive person, I got scared from Phi based on some reviews which said that they kind of try to force details on you and have a bit forward highs.

Dec 30, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #3,129 of 7,372
Curious how the RME headphone out compared to the RME + A90. Not sure if you've had a chance to do a full comparison, but would be interested in your results.
Not yet unfortunately. Been busier than expected so I've mostly been listening for fun while doing other things.
I'll try and get to it over the weekend but no promises.

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #3,130 of 7,372
Anyone have any thoughts as to where the heck I can go to demo the Dianas (preferably the Diana v2)?

There are no dealers in my home state (MA). I'm in the Los Angeles area for a few weeks, but no one is demoing them (neither TSAV nor Upscale Audio). I contacted Abyss directly, and they basically said something along the lines of: try a headphone lending library otherwise sorry.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can go to hear them?

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #3,131 of 7,372
Anyone have any thoughts as to where the heck I can go to demo the Dianas (preferably the Diana v2)?

There are no dealers in my home state (MA). I'm in the Los Angeles area for a few weeks, but no one is demoing them (neither TSAV nor Upscale Audio). I contacted Abyss directly, and they basically said something along the lines of: try a headphone lending library otherwise sorry.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can go to hear them?

If you have a good relationship with an Abyss dealer you could try asking them to ship you a pair to demo. I did this a few months ago with a pair of Diana Phis - my audio dealer out West sent me a pair to North Carolina to demo. Obviously, this requires some amount of trust on both ends. Otherwise you might be stuck with something like The Cable Company's lending library. You'll have to put money down upfront, but at least you get a demo.

Dec 31, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #3,132 of 7,372
Happy New Year to all fortunate owners of Abyss products!!! we are lucky to have such fun headphones and to be able to share our experiences.
Keep enjoying!

Jan 1, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #3,133 of 7,372
I have an SMSL SP200/M200 stack. I am not sure if it is good enough for Phi (or even V2)

I am not only after bass quantity as I also have LCD-2C which have this impactful bass but I prefer Arya over them because of their holographic bass which surrounds you. Bass is the first thing which I notice in a headphone so I asked specifically for it. Regarding rest of the spectrum, As a treble sensitive person, I got scared from Phi based on some reviews which said that they kind of try to force details on you and have a bit forward highs.

SMSL stack is a good start.

If you could take Arya's treble and upper mid, then Diana Phi/V2 wouldn't become problem for you. The Dianas are simply smoother and more fluid.

Jan 1, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #3,134 of 7,372
SMSL stack is a good start.

If you could take Arya's treble and upper mid, then Diana Phi/V2 wouldn't become problem for you. The Dianas are simply smoother and more fluid.
I just love the Arya. I don't really mind the slightly sharper upper-mids of it. I do EQ in a bit more bass (around 4.5 db) and Arya takes it really well. Sound wise, I am not unhappy with it sound wise, in fact I really really like it. Instead I was looking for something lighter. I find myself wearing them for around 8-10 hours a day and the weight begins to show its effect. Also the very tall earpads hits the lower jaw which is kind of irritating.

I am thinking about getting Diana (V2 or phi) just because they are small and lightweight and should be better than Arya sonically. I am just a bit worried that I will miss the bass of Arya (quantity wise only as I am pretty sure that quality and texture should be better on Diana).

There is no way I can demo any Abyss here, so a blind purchase is the only way it seems. And I want to make sure that Diana have equivalent bass quantity as Arya. Or at they react well to some lifted up bass via EQ.

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #3,135 of 7,372
Happy New Years!
With my B Day coming up I’ve decided to put up my Verite for sale to fund a Diana V2.

Before I buy it new (When’s the next sale?) I’m wondering if any original owner has a newish one they want to get rid of.

There was a great deal in the classifieds that slipped away but TBH after some non disclosed details on some used cans I’ve bought I think I’d rather go new when possible.

Anyone using a tube amp on these?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back