Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Nov 25, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #2,881 of 7,356
Yes with usb c, and there’s a small led that indicates the battery level, very nice.
With balanced, it drives well the diana v2. But i shall try real nice amps, a Viva audio 845 and formula s, and see for myself how it can scale up :) i will report my impressions
Based on my experience, the improvement from a portable amp to a desktop amp can be really significant in terms of driving the Diana. In my case, the V2 feels much more “complete” and reaches its full potential when I upgrade from WA11 to Xiaudio Broadway amp.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #2,883 of 7,356
Nov 25, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #2,884 of 7,356
Nov 25, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #2,885 of 7,356
So I have been on Hiatus from Head-Fi for about 6 years. I came back about a month ago as a lurker to decide on my next pair of cans since my HD800's are getting very long in the tooth, and I don't like listening to my Stax SR-007's and Audio-Technica W3000 Anv's on every genre. After lots of reading/research I decided to join the Diana Phi club. Thank you all for your (indirect) help with your comments. So, the Diana Phi's came and I initially tried them on my Woo WA22 with souped up tubes and they were pretty good! I had read that they scale well with more power, so I tried them on my Bryston BHA-1 and they were better, but much more power hungry than any cans I have tried/listened too since the HE-6 (which I sold/traded due to not being comfortable for me). So I decided to break out the old school Hifiman HE adapter and power them from the speaker taps on my Luxman Lx-550ax. This is a 20 Watt pure class A high quality integrated amp that I power Harbeth P3 ESR's (and my Stax through a Woo Wee adapter). All I can say is OMG these things went from good with the WA-22 to great with the BHA-1 to FREAKING AMAZING with the speaker amp. Has anyone else tried using a speaker amp on the Diana Phi's? Or the OG Abyss 1266?

Also, I feel like I lucked out since these cans fit me perfectly. I feel like they are custom fitted to the contour of my head!

I am interested to hear about other peoples experiences.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #2,886 of 7,356
So I have been on Hiatus from Head-Fi for about 6 years. I came back about a month ago as a lurker to decide on my next pair of cans since my HD800's are getting very long in the tooth, and I don't like listening to my Stax SR-007's and Audio-Technica W3000 Anv's on every genre. After lots of reading/research I decided to join the Diana Phi club. Thank you all for your (indirect) help with your comments. So, the Diana Phi's came and I initially tried them on my Woo WA22 with souped up tubes and they were pretty good! I had read that they scale well with more power, so I tried them on my Bryston BHA-1 and they were better, but much more power hungry than any cans I have tried/listened too since the HE-6 (which I sold/traded due to not being comfortable for me). So I decided to break out the old school Hifiman HE adapter and power them from the speaker taps on my Luxman Lx-550ax. This is a 20 Watt pure class A high quality integrated amp that I power Harbeth P3 ESR's (and my Stax through a Woo Wee adapter). All I can say is OMG these things went from good with the WA-22 to great with the BHA-1 to FREAKING AMAZING with the speaker amp. Has anyone else tried using a speaker amp on the Diana Phi's? Or the OG Abyss 1266?

Also, I feel like I lucked out since these cans fit me perfectly. I feel like they are custom fitted to the contour of my head!

Abyss on their YouTube channel had an episode specifically talking about their view on using speaker amps to drive headphones. Could be interesting to check it out :)

I have not had the luxury to try my V2 with speaker amps (perhaps V2 is not as power hungry as well), but I have heard many good stories about Phi and 1266 on their amazing performance when paired with powerful amps, especially with their default setup of the Forluma S + Powerman power supply.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #2,887 of 7,356
So I have been on Hiatus from Head-Fi for about 6 years.
There's a strong camp that directs use of Abyss TC with speaker amps. Leaving headamps in the dust.

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #2,888 of 7,356
I'll continue harping against mediocre commercial gear until I'm shown otherwise.

If you'd like a powerhouse with some flexibility and complete DC protection/muting-function, go the DIY route and commission/build a CFA from Kevin Gilmore.
15w into 50 ohms drive your Abyss to your hearts content.
IMG_20200823_110950.jpg

Nov 26, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #2,890 of 7,356
reaches its full potential when I upgrade from WA11 to Xiaudio Broadway amp.
That is too what i observe in general.
A while ago, i had the Phis and a friend too, and we decided to organize some tests using a very powerfull Moon amp, to see if the superconductor performed better in A/B blind tests and also comparing the sp1000+amp and the Moon amp.
Here’s a few pics, we were 3 testing them.

The results were interesting. Here’s the link to our french forum if you have the courage to translate :)
But basically, the diana Phi for me did scale up significantly using the Moon or at the time i had an Auris Ha2. But the A&K dap was very good too.
And for the cable, the superconductor was more opened, had more energy, and more controlled bass and body. However the stock cable had more clarity.
So conclusion was it was not a must but just different sound proposal...
For instance, we were 2 prefering the stock cable.

http://www.tellementnomade.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=24039&start=285

So I decided to break out the old school Hifiman HE adapter and power them from the speaker taps on my Luxman Lx-550ax. This is a 20 Watt pure class A high quality integrated amp that I power Harbeth P3 ESR's (and my Stax through a Woo Wee adapter). All I can say is OMG these things went from good with the WA-22 to great with the BHA-1 to FREAKING AMAZING with the speaker amp. Has anyone else tried using a speaker amp on the Diana Phi's? Or the OG Abyss 1266?

I will be able to tell you soon. I also did the same and bought the he adapter to connect my speakers (also harbeth p3esr) amp, a lector audio zxt-70, it’s a hybrid tubes/MosFet amp delivering 2*70w in 8 ohms in pure class A. Was planning to try this week end. Will post here my feedback :)

Nov 26, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #2,891 of 7,356
That is too what i observe in general.
A while ago, i had the Phis and a friend too, and we decided to organize some tests using a very powerfull Moon amp, to see if the superconductor performed better in A/B blind tests and also comparing the sp1000+amp and the Moon amp.
Here’s a few pics, we were 3 testing them.

The results were interesting. Here’s the link to our french forum if you have the courage to translate :)
But basically, the diana Phi for me did scale up significantly using the Moon or at the time i had an Auris Ha2. But the A&K dap was very good too.
And for the cable, the superconductor was more opened, had more energy, and more controlled bass and body. However the stock cable had more clarity.
So conclusion was it was not a must but just different sound proposal...
For instance, we were 2 prefering the stock cable.

http://www.tellementnomade.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=24039&start=285

I will be able to tell you soon. I also did the same and bought the he adapter to connect my speakers (also harbeth p3esr) amp, a lector audio zxt-70, it’s a hybrid tubes/MosFet amp delivering 2*70w in 8 ohms in pure class A. Was planning to try this week end. Will post here my feedback :)
Wow sounds like such a fun experience! I so much envy you and your friends. Please do share your experience here later :jecklinsmile:

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #2,893 of 7,356

Attachments

• IMG_1208.JPG
    IMG_1208.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1207.JPG
    IMG_1207.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 0
Nov 27, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #2,894 of 7,356
Received my Diana Phi this morning, not had chance to listen yet. I notice that the headband is the same as on my V2, black without the red stitching. I wonder if all Diana Phi's come with this headband now as standard?

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #2,895 of 7,356
Received my Diana Phi this morning, not had chance to listen yet. I notice that the headband is the same as on my V2, black without the red stitching. I wonder if all Diana Phi's come with this headband now as standard?
That’s weird. Mine has the red stitching - I haven’t seen any that don’t have it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back