Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Nov 21, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #2,851 of 7,416
Thanks so much for your reply! Sorry that I think I made a mistake when posting it.. I want to use the Diana with single-ended AMPs so I should actually want either the 3.5mm or the 6.3mm cable, but not with the XLR cables.

Alternatively, do you by any chance know whether it would damage the AMP if I use a XLR to 3.5/6.3 adaptor? If it doesn’t I would be very happy to do the trade with you! :)

An XLR adapter would work, though it just depends if you need/want flexibility in case you pick up something with XLR. I can include this adapter if you need one.
IMG_0602.jpg

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #2,852 of 7,416
Is it possible to use the BA300s after the headphone amp? For example use the iPhone > Hipdac > BA300s > Diana Phi just to add the tube warmth, or would you ruin the BA300s because of the power of the Hipdac?
The BA300S max power output is 350mw @32 ohms while the Hip DAC/Amp has more I think. It might distort if you up the volume too much.

Nov 22, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #2,856 of 7,416
I am trying to decide between the V2 and the ZMF Verite Open..... I find the V2 clearer, not as comfortable but somehow I keep going back to it. ZMF Verite is beautiful, super comfortable, musical...

Nov 22, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #2,857 of 7,416
I am trying to decide between the V2 and the ZMF Verite Open..... I find the V2 clearer, not as comfortable but somehow I keep going back to it. ZMF Verite is beautiful, super comfortable, musical...
Not sure whether you have noticed some earlier discussions: the comfort of V2 improves dramatically with an added headband that costs $15-25. :)

Nov 22, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #2,858 of 7,416
I agree the Verite is a lot more comfortable even with the dms pads and headband mod. The ZMF suede ear pads make it ridiculously comfortable.

Diana wins on weight though. It’s super light.

Im in the same dilemma but I might keep both.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #2,860 of 7,416

Had exactly same problem few month ago, fortunately not anymore though. Get both.

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #2,861 of 7,416
Id also be interested in seeing some EQ's. I love the Xbass feature from iFi on the V2's, but when I try to recreate that sound with EQ it distorts.
I like the ifi xbass as well! If you get distortion, lower your overall gain in the eq. In Roon, it's called headroom management. So if you increase bass by 5 dB, set headroom to -5. AK and Fiio DAPs decrease the headroom automatically for you (which makes it quite hard to evaluate any eq curve).

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #2,862 of 7,416
My V2 was not super comfortable until the pads softened up after a while. I use Dekoni nuggets for the headband. Now they are super comfy.

May I suggest a slightly different route for choosing between the V2 and the VC? Get the clearer headphone and consider a more relaxed amp. You can always add some warmth and maybe even musicality but you can't add clarity. My go-to amp is a Chord Hugo TT2 which is all about clarity and engagement. Recently I picked up a used Violectric V281 which is technically inferior to the TT2 when it comes to resolution and clarity BUT it is rather relaxed in comparison. Even though I mainly use the TT2, there are times when I like to take it easy and that's when the Vio comes into play.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #2,863 of 7,416
Any Black Friday deals going on for Diana V2? I already know about the free ifi audio xcan deal at Abyss website but I don't really need another dac\amp. Thanks in advanced.

Nov 23, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #2,864 of 7,416
Any Black Friday deals going on for Diana V2? I already know about the free ifi audio xcan deal at Abyss website but I don't really need another dac\amp. Thanks in advanced.
I have mine up for sale but I’m EU based :D

Nov 24, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #2,865 of 7,416
Can‘t speak of any Black Friday deals I know of, but serendipity showed me an unlikely pocket-able option to drive the lovely lady.
Bought an iFi hip dac for a new IEM, but for schiits and giggles decided to try the 4.4 balanced out with the Diana Phi with the superconductor cable and, whaddya know, it actually does a damn fine job of wringing a fair amount of juice from the iPhone source - certainly not to ear-splitting levels but to responsibly loud, and with Qobuz instead of Tidal I even had to dial the volume back a smidge. It ain’t a Chord Dave, unless your pocket can hold a a wheelbarrow and a generator, I‘d be hard pressed to find a better compromise between sound quality and portability that allows Diana to prance about town. The sound isn’t as full as, say with a Woo Wa11 Topaz but then again you don’t have to break out the fanny pack. I swapped the stock cable with a 3.5 mm, but it was downright anemic so balanced only if you try this at home. For $150, it was a pleasant surprise.
3D572F3C-7F80-40D6-A84A-5C29BA5A7959.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back