Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Mar 31, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #1,741 of 7,356
@Macedonia Please respect my opinionion and experience as I do with yours even if most of time I read you I don t agree

I do respect your opinion...completely. But I was referring to power requirements which only reflect on facts and not opinions. I don't want to scare off folks from using the Diana in a portable setup as they are not that difficult to drive from portable sources. I totally get preferences (as mentioned) to sound signatures, no issues there whatsoever. :)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #1,743 of 7,356
有人通过Gilmore Lite MK2运行他们的Diana吗?我想知道那是否足够。
I have a Gilmore Lite Mk2. But I use it as a preamp to the Burson Bang power amp. This combination sounds fantastic with my Diana Phi’s. I haven’t tried running my Diana Phi’s straight out of the Gilmore Lite Mk2 but I can try it and report back. This stack also has the Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 and Burson Swing as the DAC for those interested.

3AB6F2A4-49B0-4CDC-AB23-A174EFC5C993.jpeg

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #1,744 of 7,356
I have a Gilmore Lite Mk2. But I use it as a preamp to the Burson Bang power amp. This combination sounds fantastic with my Diana Phi’s. I haven’t tried running my Diana Phi’s straight out of the Gilmore Lite Mk2 but I can try it and report back. This stack also has the Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 and Burson Swing as the DAC for those interested.

3AB6F2A4-49B0-4CDC-AB23-A174EFC5C993.jpeg
It looks good. Please try it and i expect your report. And also try your Clear pro, because i am interesting in Utopia with gilmore lite mk2 too. My dac is Hugo2, and i want to setup a small system for diana and utopia, maybe meze empyrean in the future. Of course i know it is not so good for those powerful headphones, but maybe enough to enjoy them. You know what i mean, right? Appreciate for your feedback.

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #1,745 of 7,356
It looks good. Please try it and i expect your report. And also try your Clear pro, because i am interesting in Utopia with gilmore lite mk2 too. My dac is Hugo2, and i want to setup a small system for diana and utopia, maybe meze empyrean in the future. Of course i know it is not so good for those powerful headphones, but maybe enough to enjoy them. You know what i mean, right? Appreciate for your feedback.
@yao1940 I got a listen to the Diana Phi's out of the GL Mk2 this morning singled ended. The sound was okay depending on the recording. Reggae, hip-hop, jazz and classical sounded good out of the GL Mk2. Pop, rock and metal sounded dreadful to me. The Diana Phi's lacked body to the sound and was very treble happy. There was little to no low end presence with those genres. I was able to somewhat correct this with the Loki, which I think you would need if you're going to get the Diana Phi's and a GL Mk2.

The Utopia, which I use to own and the Clears sound good out of the GL Mk2. But I think the Meze Empyreans would pair better with the GL Mk2 since it's a warmer sounding headphone. The GL Mk2 is very detailed little amp and I think it's attributes suit the Empyrean's better than both the Utopia's and the Clears. The Diana Phi's depending on what you are listening too it could be to much of a good thing when driven by the GL Mk2. The synergy is not there. I like the Diana Phi's a whole lot more driven balanced out of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0. I also prefer the Utopias and Clears out of this amp as well if I'm being honest about it. The LC 2.0 is a warm, yet highly detailed amp with more drive out of the balanced output. It has more midrange warmth with more low end than the GL Mk2. The LC 2.0 fairs very well with brighter, highly resolving headphones like the Diana Phi's and Utopia's. Of course all of this is just my opinion and how I'm hearing things.

Apr 1, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #1,746 of 7,356
the liquid carbon is a real bargain and a fine amp

Apr 2, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #1,747 of 7,356
@yao1940 I got a listen to the Diana Phi's out of the GL Mk2 this morning singled ended. The sound was okay depending on the recording. Reggae, hip-hop, jazz and classical sounded good out of the GL Mk2. Pop, rock and metal sounded dreadful to me. The Diana Phi's lacked body to the sound and was very treble happy. There was little to no low end presence with those genres. I was able to somewhat correct this with the Loki, which I think you would need if you're going to get the Diana Phi's and a GL Mk2.

The Utopia, which I use to own and the Clears sound good out of the GL Mk2. But I think the Meze Empyreans would pair better with the GL Mk2 since it's a warmer sounding headphone. The GL Mk2 is very detailed little amp and I think it's attributes suit the Empyrean's better than both the Utopia's and the Clears. The Diana Phi's depending on what you are listening too it could be to much of a good thing when driven by the GL Mk2. The synergy is not there. I like the Diana Phi's a whole lot more driven balanced out of the Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0. I also prefer the Utopias and Clears out of this amp as well if I'm being honest about it. The LC 2.0 is a warm, yet highly detailed amp with more drive out of the balanced output. It has more midrange warmth with more low end than the GL Mk2. The LC 2.0 fairs very well with brighter, highly resolving headphones like the Diana Phi's and Utopia's. Of course all of this is just my opinion and how I'm hearing things.
Thank you for your opinion! According to your report i have to give up the GL mk2, because i prefer rock, metal and folk to hip-hop, jazz and classic. I am willing to have utopia and diana in the future, so i keep continue to search another amp for them. But at the moment i see i have no chance to get a new LC 2.0, so i can get a liquid carben or liquid platinum instead of it. Do you think they will be suitble? At the meantime, i have interested in the other two amps, schiit lyr3 and pathos auruium. What do you think?

Apr 2, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #1,748 of 7,356
Thank you for your opinion! According to your report i have to give up the GL mk2, because i prefer rock, metal and folk to hip-hop, jazz and classic. I am willing to have utopia and diana in the future, so i keep continue to search another amp for them. But at the moment i see i have no chance to get a new LC 2.0, so i can get a liquid carben or liquid platinum instead of it. Do you think they will be suitble? At the meantime, i have interested in the other two amps, schiit lyr3 and pathos auruium. What do you think?
I had the Pathos Aurium. For a hybrid amp, it left me unimpressed. It did go well with the Utopia’s because they are easy to drive but not much else in my collection. I’m not sure how it would do with the Diana Phi’s. The Liquid Platinum is a good amp. But you’ll need to find the right tubes to suit you’re taste. If you‘re willing to wait a little longer, Monoprice is releasing a version of the Liquid Gold that will be a better deal because it will have a built in DAC as well.

Massdrop’s version of the Liquid Carbon seems to be the same as the LC 2.0 that I have but in a different form factor. I like the smaller footprint of the old version and I can attest in goes well with the Diana Phi’s and Utopia’s. Of all the amps you named I would get the new Liquid Gold X from Monoprice. It has power, dynamics, and a hint of warmth.

Apr 8, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #1,749 of 7,356
If anybody is interested, I am planning on selling my full set Diana V2 with Superconductor cable and DMS mod earpads, I am set on purchasing the 1266 TC's.
Btw, am I able to re-terminate the diana v2 superconductor cable for the 1266 TC? Or is it a different cable/different composition?

Located in Canada

Apr 9, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #1,750 of 7,356
I own both Diana, v2 and Phi. v2 is my daily driver while Phi is my reference for evaluating gear or music recording quality. They sound different enough for me to own both.

For most users with moderate gear and listen to a wide genre of music, I recommend v2.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #1,751 of 7,356
I own both Diana, v2 and Phi. v2 is my daily driver while Phi is my reference for evaluating gear or music recording quality. They sound different enough for me to own both.

For most users with moderate gear and listen to a wide genre of music, I recommend v2.

Couldn't agree more.

Btw, for V2, allround purporse on-the-go set up, do you like WA11 or WA8 more?

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #1,753 of 7,356
i see you also have aeolus,

how do u find the v2 compared?

i presume tubes don't work well w diana

Diana is way cleaner (better black background), more precision in imaging, more forward mid, more treble quantity. Diana has less bass quantity, but denser, deeper and more texture. Soundstage is bigger in Aeolus, but "more completely around" on Diana.

What surprise me the most is how Diana handle Spotify songs so gently, even almost able to match dark sounding Aeolus in term of smoothness upper mid to treble.

Tubes don't work in term of sound character or power? Few days ago I tried with old Quad PA-One, sounds so mellow, which is good for vocal, but not great as all round purpose.

Apr 10, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #1,754 of 7,356
I own both Diana, v2 and Phi. v2 is my daily driver while Phi is my reference for evaluating gear or music recording quality..

For most users... listen to a wide genre of music, I recommend v2.

This make me puzzled because I listen to all the music, except for classical and baroque.
And I use headphone to listen music and not to evaluate gear or recording..

So do you guys think even the v2 is superior to the utopia?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back